What's new

John Ford - The Searchers SE 2006 confirmation (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Wasn't the actual film restoration of "The Searchers" done successfully over a decade ago by the good folks at UCLA? I assume what the WB folks are talking about would be a digital spit and polish in the hi-def video domain, which would certainly be welcome by me.

Regards,

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
You're probably right, Ken. That IGN article might just have been a little sloppy in using "remastering" and "restoration" as synonyms.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm not sure my memory is perfect on this one, but I do remember some type of restoration effort in the early 90s as well as substantially improved home video versions by the mid-90s. It might not even have been UCLA, but for some reason I thought it was.

Regards,

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi folks

From Toda's Yellow Layer Failure

Before being joined in discussion with Warner Home Video's Senior VP of Catalog Marketing, George Feltenstein, Executive Director of Publicity Ronnee Sass and Ned Price, VP of Mastering for WB Technical Operations on King Kong.

Here is what is said about The Searchers

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Paramount can do a great job with extras when they want. Hondo and McLintock are a great example. Also in the commentaries was a interesting fact that I did not know. John Ford pinch-hit as director on both films. In Hondo, the shooting ran longer than anticipated due to the 3-D. The director was committed to another project and forced to leave so
Ford was called in to finish the last few days including the climactic battle scene. In McLintock, Andrew McLaglen was ill for a few days and Ford stepped in and covered.

I thought the original release was in pretty good shape so I am looking forward to seeing how much better Warner can make. I am expecting great things.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There have been rumours around of Warners John Ford box set for some time; first thoughts were that it was going to be a John Wayne/John Ford set, but it now seems to be a little more than that. Over at the Bits, Barrie Maxwell has some excellent news:

"There is further confirmation that a John Ford box set will be forthcoming later this year, probably in the second or third quarter. Titles likely to be included are: The Informer, Stagecoach, The Long Voyage Home, Fort Apache, The Searchers, and Cheyenne Autumn. Writer Scott Eyman is involved in some of the supplementary content (commentary, interviews) being assembled for these releases."

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
This is fantastic news - these are all truly important films - I'm really curious to see what kind of extras, beyond commentries by the estimable Mr Eyman, are produced as there is a lot of material about Ford out there - it would be great of Joseph McBride and Peter Bogdanovich were involved - it would be especially nice if CHEYENNE AUTUMN is restored to its original length -

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I understand that Criterion also plans to release some of Ford's films. The first is Young Mr. Lincoln on February 14, which was a Fox title. Does anyone know what the other titles are? Or if Criterion has decided on a release schedule?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
i wonder if we will see the inclusion of 3 godfathers, momgombo, the releases the were exclusive to target for a while. those titles don't show up on the target site any more. And going from Roberts list that WB has the rights to comes to 14 films that sound like a perfect idea for a signature collection, i know the statement of restoration work on stagecoach and searchers, i can only hope that Mr Rogers will get the same treatment.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Maybe this set is The John Ford Collection Volume 1. Aside from 3 Godfathers and Mogambo, I was hoping we'd see Wagon Master in there too.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Seeing as how the titles listed seem to be a best guess & not fact, I'll wait for the official announcement. If this lineup turns out to be the one I just might plunk down for the box. The Searchers SE & Fort Apache are must haves for me, but I wouldn't mind owning The Informer, Stagecoach SE and Cheyenne Autumn also. Have yet to see The Long Voyage Home.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

A very good and at times excellent film that is very underrated in comparison to other Ford/Wayne films.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
Glad to see THE INFORMER. It seems a bit forgotten despite the fact that both Ford and MacLaglen received Oscars for it. Ford's favorite Ford films were THE FUGITIVE (1947) with gorgeous b-&-w camerawork (once colorized by Ted Turner!) and THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT (a remake of Ford's own JUDGE PRIEST). Love to see THE FUGITIVE from WB. I believe that Paramount owns THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT via Artisan via Republic. Its VHS video incarnation has ten minutes that had never been released before.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
I want any John Ford picture on DVD since he is one of the great directors. I am looking forward to Fort Apache. I loved it the first time I saw it. Also a post above said something about "Mr. Rogers" being released. LOL. I don't know about you but I'd much rather see "Mr. Roberts" released instead!!! LOL. J/k :D

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Richard , thanks for keeping me on my toes, i didn't even notice that i goofed it up that bad, Mr.Roberts, love the book love the movie, Mr. Rogers, well little old for that show, but we have a window replacement co around here called that. LOL, Really want to see this title with the SE treatment, could have something to do with career choice, as to why i love this film so much.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Barrie was nearly right :D From The Bits:

There's a new John Wayne/John Ford Collection on the way, which will include The Searchers: 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition (1956), along with a Stagecoach: Two-Disc Special Edition (1939), Fort Apache (1948), The Long Voyage Home (1940), The Wings of Eagles (1957), She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949), They Were Expendable (1945) and 3 Godfathers (1948).

There's also The John Ford Collection that will include The Lost Patrol (1934), The Informer (1935), Cheyenne Autumn (1964), Mary of Scotland (1936) and Sergeant Rutledge (1960).

The Bits also reveal that The Searchers will be available in an 'Ultimate Collectors Edition' a la King Kong tin, and that Mogambo will appear in a Clark Gable boxset.

Better than we dared hope I think! They've done Pappy proud...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks