What's new

John Ford at Fox: 21 disc set in December!!! (2007) (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was hoping that some of the WWII docs would be included, so that's great news. The artwork is spectacular, and the idea that each disc gets it's own hub is a huge plus. My intial concerns of paper sleeves are alleviated.

That said, I'm very disappointed with the inclusion of "Young Mr. Lincoln". If they're going to completely strip the current disc of all it's extras, then just take it out. I detest the idea of having two copies of the same movie. That said, if they simply provide an extra hub, so that I can insert my criterion set in to the master box, I would be extremely content.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I am sorry that Fox did not include his notorious documentary SEX HYGIENE (1942). Ford himself was bhorrified at his participation in the "dramatic story," but if the set is going to be completist as possible..... I'd like to know how the FRONTIER MARSHAL rumor got started, and why the documentaries were not mentioned before in the official annoucement. I would assume that there is a prototype now for the set.... That said, FOX RULES!! This is THE DVD SET of the decade in scope alone.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Wee Willie Winkie was originally tinted like a silent film for it's theatrical release. It isn't colorized, but it will at last be presented as it was ment to be seen.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Um, why don't you give the Fox version away, and replace it in the box with the Criterion version?

My guess is the transfer will be exactly the same Criterion transfer, but minus all the extras. I have the Fox region 4 version of Thieves' Highway which looks like exactly the same transfer (well, but in PAL) as the criterion, so it seems Fox have used the same transfers as Criterion previously. It is dissapointing that on such an extensive set that they didn't negotiate to just include the Criterion disc.

I was THIS close to buying the criterion version of Young Mr Lincoln, but now I don't think I'll bother.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I would, except that the Criterion version is 2 discs. Where do I put the extras disc? That's why I'm still holding out hope that Fox put some thought into this and provided an extra hub for people in my situation. (..and I'm sure there are a ton of them)

Universal did the same thing with their Preston Sturges set. I love the set, but I was stuck having to old on to both Criterion editions also, because of the extras and since the Universal editions had better picture.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
I have no qualms about holding onto the Criterion "Lincoln", and having two copies. IMO, when the DVD collection reaches a certain size, what's one more disc on the shelf?

Anyhow, I was afraid that the Iron Horse "international only" tags meant that the non-R1 crowd would be getting a better version of the movie. But the other readings on it offered here make sense, so I'll cling to that. Thanks!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
what I thought the international meant (rather than two discs) was that there would be one disc included in the R1 set and a different Iron Horse disc (probably similar to the now OOP disc) in other regions. If they're including two Iron Horse discs, all the better.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
..... I'd like to know how the FRONTIER MARSHAL rumor got started, and why the documentaries were not mentioned before in the official annoucement.

well Foxclassics.com has been updated with the following :

It will be included in the Essential John Ford Collection

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

ted:r

Second Unit
Listen, in no way do I want to be a wet blanket on this. I am ECSTATIC that Fox is releasing this. Will there be problems/reservations by some? Of course. I'm, however not that picky, so I will for the most part (99.999 %) overlook these. (Including the double dips...c'est la vie.)

Also, I'm not someone who cares about sales figures, or whether Fox will make/lose money on this deal. As long as I have it in my hot little hands, why do I care if no one else buys it? The answer is, I don't.

But...I just simply don't get it. A $300 box on John Ford? Well, I'm sure the people who will buy it are a) me; b) John Ford completists (all of whom I'm sure read this forum and whose total maybe reaches into the 4 figures, at best) c) people who will buy it cause a periodical (say the NY Times or The New Yorker or Vanity Fair, etc.) say they should (and heck, it looks nice on the coffee table and they might get around to watching "Wee Willie Winkie"...)

But really, I just don't get it. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Fox could release a single movie ("A Tree Grows In Brooklyn") and make much much more than they will on this box. (Hint: Fox, release "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn"). So why are they doing it? (All answers that imply that Fox is dedicated to releasing even the most obscure movies to DVD....I'd have to answer that I don't think Fox has applied to be a non-profit organization.)

I ask this question for purely academic reasons. If you think I don't think Fox should release it, please, pick up a dictionary and look up "ecstatic".

I dunno...Maybe Matt Groening and James Brooks are big Ford fans and said either release the Ford or you don't get "The Simpsons Movie"? :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ted,
I think Fox was very close to releasing "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and something came up to prevent that release. I don't know what happened, but I think they want to release this excellent film to dvd and will do so once those unknown issues are cleared up.

Also, remember that Fox is releasing different and much smaller boxsets of Ford films besides the $300 one.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Four Sons was originally released with a music/effects track in Movietone sound for the 1928 theatrical release. It's not listed in the specs, but a new 5.1 score is. It would be a pity to not include it since it has some really innovative sound design for such an early "silent with Movietone" film.

It certainly exists since UCLA has a 35mm nitrate print with the optical soundtrack and there are clips in the Brownlow/Gill "Hollywood" documentary miniseries. Who can I contact at Fox to bring this to attention so they don't omit the original '28 track?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Fox has now posted some of the individual box art here; very nice...

BTW, a quick heads up for UK Ford fans, Drums Along The Mohawk is being screened at the London Film Festival, see here.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! That's some phenomonal art. I hope that most of that artwork is present inside the mega-box.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I noticed that Frontier Marshall will be part of the "Essential John Ford Collection". I assume that it will also be included in the major box set.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
hate missing out on all the good cover art by buying the set. LOVE the new covers for How Green Was My Valley and Grapes of Wrath!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks