What's new

John Doe cancelled!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
FOX Lets the Axe Fall on 'John Doe'
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - "John Doe's" search for the truth is over. A source close to the FOX series has informed us the network will not renew the series for a second season. The producers of the drama were informed yesterday about the news.

The news comes as no surprise after recent reports had the network's support shifting from "Doe" to "Fastlane." FOX executives had repeatedly stated they hoped to keep one of the two dramas for next season as part of a new Thursday or Friday lineup.

After debuting to an impressive 9.8 million viewers in September of last year, "Doe's" audience dropped more than 40% by its finale last month (5.8 million viewers). Among adults 18-49 the erosion was even more noticeable (4.3 vs. 2.4 average rating for the hour) as the series routinely finished third in its time slot among the four major networks.

FOX announces its fall schedule next Thursday.

taken from www.thefutoncritic.com

this totally sucks in my opinion. Fox Sucks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doe!!!

Oh well, that's what you get for playing it too cutesy for a season (now series) finale.

Does anyone think any other network will pick it up?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Definatley. They should have kept Firefly instead, a series that would have held a 4-ish rating.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They should have kept Firefly instead, a series that would have held a 4-ish rating.
Care to support that position, Jeff? Hadn't Firefly already dropped below 4 when the axe fell? Besides, the show was probably too expensive to produce for only 4-ish ratings anyway. Another good try that just didn't work out.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
This sucks! What is up with Fox? They give no show a chance to develop. X-Files today would have been cancelled in the first season. :rolleyes::angry:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Wait! Fastlane, a drama ? I always looked at it as a freaking train wreck instead!:D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I actualled enjoyed both shows. Friday nights were becoming a heavily-taped evening. However, during the home stretch of the season, Fastlane was of a higher quality than Doe. While Doe had much more promise at the beginning of the season, it appeared to me that the writers were content with the fact that they had a good idea and that would sell itself. There wasn't much development as opposed to Fastlane, where, believe it or not, there was a consistent, gradual development of a plot and the characters interaction and involvement within that plot.

Joel C

Screenwriter
X-Files did WELL in the first season, though that was back when cable didn't leech as many viewers. I understand people are upset, but I don't think Fox was wrong to cancel this or Firefly. They didn't get the ratings. I get that fans want to pin it on shifting schedules and what not, but I think it had more to do with the fact that both shows were farly high concept and required some effort on the part of the audience.

Phil L

Supporting Actor
Well with Farscape and Doe gone, Sorkin leaving West Wing: I'm left with 24 as the only TV show I watch.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I stopped watching John Doe the week after Firefly was canned. Not out of spite, but rather because I was willing to stay on the same channel after watching Firefly. Once Firefly was gone, I didn't feel enough of a draw to remember when Doe was on, or change to that channel if I noticed in time.

Do networks care about that sort of thing?

Martin.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
So Firefly and John Doe get the axe and Fastlane stays? That says everything about the "majority" of people who watch TV doesn't it. Any show that requires any leap of faith is in trouble. Low brow entertainment wins the day.

I also think that X-files today wouldn't last.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
All I gotta say is, Yeah Fastlane!

I saw the first few episodes of John Doe and it put me to sleep. Same thing with Firefly. Just couldn't get into either of them. Fastlane was fun from the start so I stuck with it.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Damn.

Everything on Friday night is pretty bad - Doe included. But I tivo'ed it anyway, cause theres nothing on Fri / Sat and I needed something to watch. Fastlane was painful, I stopped that one after I saw 10 min of some episode. But Doe was entertaining, esp. at the end. Hopefully Fox will throw the fans a bone and allow the show an hour episode to wrap up.

JQ

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Boy networks know how to screw up my friday night viewing

Farscape, John Doe, Odyssey 5, Firefly. All canned

All thats left is Stargate and Jeremiah which comes back this summer

capt

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This past Fall I told myself I wasn't going to watch FireFly or John Doe because I didn't want to start getting into another sci-fi show and then have it yanked away like almost always happens with FOX. These were sci-fi schows on FOX. I figured that regardless of how good they were there's a 99% chance they be canceled (although the better the sci-fi show, the more likely FOX is to cancel it).

Against my better judgment, I watched them both and enjoyed them both, and once again I got into a sci-fi show(s) that was yanked.

I'm done with sci-fi on FOX. If they ever have another show that is good and actually lasts, then I'll get the DVDs.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To be honest, the later episodes were starting to go down the tubes. They had gone too far away from the main subject of the show until the end, when it was too late. They needed to develop some backstory and not so many red herrings. It was gettng tiring.

It is too bad, because I do like Dominic Purcell.

Course, the networks seem to be on a raging campaign to stop me from watching TV. They keep canceling shows I watch.

Jason

DwightK

Second Unit
Joey,

You also forgot my favorite, Andromeda. I believe it was extended for season 4 and 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks