What's new

John Carpenters The Fog (Shout! Factory) My Mini Review (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I love it in spite of its flaws. Very atmospheric and creepy. Spun the blu last night and loved it. Looked and sounded great.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
The opening of this film, from the Poe quote through campfire story to the spooky poltergeist happenings around town during the "witching hour," is some of the best atmosphere-building in any horror movie ever (IMO). Carpenter's direction combined with his music just nails it. Literally nothing could happen the rest of the movie, and it would still be creepy. So friggin' psyched for this release!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Chuck Anstey said:
Maybe I should try to watch this again given how many people on this thread think it is great. I remember watching this as a kid and thinking it was boring as hell with nothing happening until the last 10 minutes and the payoff was very weak.
I tried watching it a couple of years ago and had a similar reaction. I didn't find it to be creepy or anything...just...boring. To each their own though. I have to admit that outside of Halloween, I'm not really a John Carpenter fan.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's an easter egg on this disc. On the second screen of 'Bonus Features', go down to 'Back', press right to highlight a cross on a tombstone and press enter to see a minute long intro for The ABC Sunday Night Movie featuring The Fog.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As I have said before, it's my favorite Carpenter film. I watch it regularly. Have been watching the HDNET version on my dvr for a few years. This version looks pretty similar to that one. If I'm being honest, I was expecting it to look a bit better. No matter, love the new extras. The new commentary was very entertaining hearing about all the characters that were named after real people. The shocker tho was Jamie Lee Curtis pretty much trashing the film. Just not her thing she says. Surprising. A quote that came out when the film was released in 1980 has stayed with me all these years. A major critic said " this is the first poetic horror film". I couldn't agree more. Not bad for less than $15.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Thanks for the review!

This film kind of reminds me of Jaws 2, in the way that you don't expect much, and then you actually get a pretty enjoyable little movie! I recall showing it to my son last year when he was twelve, and he thought it was "awesome!"

Interestingly, as is told in the special features, what little gore there is was added in reshoots at the behest of the studio.

Got this release in my hot little hands, just waiting for a dark and stormy night to watch it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks