What's new

John Carpenter movies on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. I'm picking it up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JulianK

Supporting Actor

I didn't write one. It was sent for me to review for a magazine. By the time of my deadline, it had been pulled from the schedule.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
After doing an exhaustive search for a legitimate review of "The Fog" I decided to order it last week(Shame on you highdefdigest, you review the Dutch import of The Neverending Story but skip a UK release of The Fog). I received my copy today.

I am very, very pleased. For a 1979 film, this blu release does more than shine.
It gives me faith in future releases of John Carpenter films.
Compared to the MGM special edition, the blu-ray disc is a godsend. Colors pop, details I never noticed are now easy to spot.
The sound is crisp, and clear.
The depth you get on the Blu-Ray version is truly astounding in some scenes. Almost feels 3-D.

This studio Canal release has none of the special features of the MGM release unfortunately. Believe me, to have a picture this good, it's not a big deal.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk

Bout time we got an anamorphic release of LA. I can't wait!

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Escape from LA finally! It would be nice if the current R1 distributors of Escape from New York (Fox maybe?) would coordinate and put it out around the same time.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator

The Digital Bits reported in december last year in the rumor mill to look out for Escape From New York on blu-ray this year.I don't know if it's still on MGM's schedule.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Man I got excited for half a minute when Universal announced their Carpenter box set this fall then realized it was just a re-release of the previous standard DVD box set.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sadly Paramount has scuttled the BD release for "Escape from LA" next month with no new date announced nor any reason given as to why it has been delayed. One can HOPE they are going to add extras but I'm doubting it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Copy and pasted from my post in another thread but here's the differences between the Big Trouble In Little China Blu-ray and DVD:

-Oddly, the Blu-ray uses a shortened version of Trailer B. On the Blu-ray it runs approximately 1:00 and on the DVD it runs approximately 1:30.

-The TV commercials and most of the text based stuff (the production notes, the American Cinematographer and Cinefex articles, the cast and crew filmographies and the DVD production credits) are dropped for the Blu-ray. What's weird is that the TV spots are listed as special features on the back of the case so I wonder if they're hidden as an easter egg (although the listing could just as easily be a misprint).

-On the plus side, the Blu-ray has two NEW features: an isolated score in DTS 5.1 and a still gallery with more than 250 pictures.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Allred

Sadly Paramount has scuttled the BD release for "Escape from LA" next month with no new date announced nor any reason given as to why it has been delayed. One can HOPE they are going to add extras but I'm doubting it.
They can't cancel or delay something they never announced.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Didn't Optimum release a BD of THEY LIVE? September 22nd of 2008 was the release. It's Region B, might not know if the case says that and the disc might be region-free, so possibly best to import for those who do from Amazon.co.uk
Here's a review:
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/they-live2.html

I don't even know if it's DNR'd or the transfer has a light grain structure. Been awhile since I've seen this film though.
Already own THE THING on HDDVD and read the Blu-ray was given a touch of DNR. Is it single or dual layered and does it contain lossless audio?
Can't wait for MGM to release a feature laden with lossless audio, BD-50 with ZERO DNR/EE damn great film retaining grain structure for Escape from New York.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

They can't cancel or delay something they never announced.
Um, yes they did in fact announce it along with several other titles like "48 Hours."

Here's the mention of it's release being pulled:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3098

and here's the original announcement:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2904

You're welcome.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that's a bummer about LA. I was REALLY looking forward to getting that on BD since the SD is absolutely horrible by today's standards.

What are the chances that Paramount will give us a Russell/Carpenter commentary track? I could listen to those guys shoot the shit all day.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Didn't Optimum release a BD of THEY LIVE?
That release was canceled at the last minute, though I believe a few review copies did slip through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks