What's new

John Carpenter movies on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor

AMEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Please, Paramount! Give us a Carpenter/Russell commentary track for Escape from LA. Please!

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So "Big Trouble in Little China" AND "Starman" have been announced for BD release this August!

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yeah, I'm really beginning to doubt They Live will ever come out (for reasons I earlier described).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Never say never but I think you're 100% wrong. They Live has been released twice on DVD (and is still in print) so it's not like the movie has been buried and hidden. The studio could care less about the message as long as they think it will sell.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The Escape From New York blu-ray is admittedly nothing great, but The Fog gets unfairly lumped in with it. The transfer is very strong, even if the grain-busting was a little high for some folk's tastes. I think it looks worlds better than the R1 DVD, and considering how cheap some of the blu-rays at amazon.co.uk have been lately, there's no reason not to get it.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Last year I was lucky enough to catch a screening of THEY LIVE as part of a Carpenter mini-festival. The print was almost perfect, it looked amazing. If I could get THAT on BD, I'd be pretty happy!

In contrast, EFNY was so scratched and full of pops & jumps it was exactly like Grindhouse was trying to be. Which was pretty fun, too (except for the few poor souls who'd never seen it before).

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm really hoping that the Blu-ray of Starman will include the commentary track from the R2 DVD and some decent extras. The only DVD release it's had in the US was pretty skimpy.

I'm pretty happy with the Blu-ray of The Thing.

I agree that a solid release of They Live would be fun, particularly if it includes the R2 commentary and some goodies. By the same token, Prince of Darkness is a guilty pleasure from the same period and might benefit from some TLC. Both of those films were fairly low-budget, as I recall - Carpenter's step back after the bigger budgets of Starman and Big Trouble in Little China.

I was actually pretty happy with Cigarette Burns and about the first half of Pro-Life before things got really silly.

I continue to hope that he has another good movie in him. Who knows? He's working on something now - hopefully it will come out okay.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Prince of Darkness is a strange duck for me, I don't fully understand what happens in the film but yet it disturbs the hell out of me lol.

Particularly the recurring dream of the dark figure emerging from the church, it gives me the willies.

Wouldn't mind a BD of that one, Christine as well, but keep all the extras from the SE DVD. Nothing I hate more than when they release a film on BD and dump all the great extras from the DVD, it forces me to keep the DVD around when I could just as well sell it to make room for more BD's. ;)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It gets even better when they keep some features and drop others, thus making the completist need to keep EVERYTHING. I try to document this stuff in my reviews because it can drive you to distraction...

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If a reference quality version of "The Fog" was released this year, I would be happy. I think This John Carpenter/Debra Hill film is better than Halloween.
Gorgeous 2:35 aspect ratio, perfect music, and great cast make this one hell of a horror movie.

Eric F

Screenwriter
MGM-HD has shown both EFNY and EFLA in the past year and as I recall they both looked pretty good.

Hmmm. I'm quite suspicious of that UK They Live Blu-Ray. Even if it was code free I have no idea of the quality of the print, if it's lossless, etc, etc.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Yeah, it was just an old print of EFNY. I'm sure a proper Blu-ray release would look awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks