What's new

John Badham's Dracula (1979) Finally coming to R2 DVD, but... (1 Viewer)

alucard69

Auditioning
Real Name
Alucard
Is this simply going to be the same one that's been kicking around on R1 for a while now - you know the one where all the color had been drained out of it? I love the photography on the original 'full-color version' from way back, but alas it no longer seems available in any format.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Alucard? I bet you'll be shocked to know what Alucard spelt backwards is [quickly crosses himself]. :eek:

um... oh yes I hope Badham's Dracula is in full colour this time round, enough with this desaturated colour shit. I saw the film at the cinema and it wasn't in frikkin' sepiatone [bites fist].

andySu

Senior HTF Member
alucard69

Wow, I was only talking with someone the other day about John Badham on the Spielberg forums, where is John Badham, the guy is doing TV now!

Anyway this is wonderful news, I first saw this around 1980 or 81 at my aunties in Buckinghamshire, on VHS of coarse and I liked it, a bit young I was I but still I liked it a lot.

Is this version in six-track Dolby stereo 5.1, and I know the film was shot in 2.35:1 scope so seeing it for the first time around without any pan & scanning is going to be a plus, but what of the soundtrack?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

I like you signature of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, you haven’t seen the Star Trek films at the Empire in London by any chance?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

You not really Ex-SAS are you, you’re just palling are legs, the shagging German girls bit will now that I believe.:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
:laugh:

Who Dares Wins, my motto Andy. ;)

I saw a couple of the Star Trek movies at the Empire, the first one in 79 and First Contact. The Empire Leicester Square's a fantastic cinema, the seats are so comfortable you don't wanna get up after the films finished. Can't remember if I saw Dracula there or was it at the Odeon?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

You got that right mate, have you got a ratchet to undo the one or two seats to take home a piece of the Empire experience with you!:D I first saw Indian Jones and the Last Crusade there in September 13th Wednesday 1989, price was a remarkable £6.50 for THX sound system red rocker chairs and a laser light show!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
The best THX 70mm experience that I have seen heard and felt was Star Trek day on October 8th Sunday 1989. And steal for £10.00 pounds £10.00 pounds you get no compromising positions for seating it’s all the same throughout the auditorium. And again THX sound laser light show that was out of this world.

I will never forget the way the sound hit me seating in the centre row middle section, when the Enterprise exploded in Star Trek III it felt like some kicked me in the face! Now that is JBL sound power via the Lucasfilm THX 3417 crossover!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

Here is one of many links at the Empire the most famous cinema in the world.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/912/

There is a list somewhere on the internet that lists all the 70mm films that have played in London, but seeing this film was realised in 35mm, and I’m not sure if it’s a Universal or Paramount realise, if it is chances are it played at the Empire in screen #1?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
John Williams, did the score WOW, now I’m getting that THX buzz can you feel it, that THX buzz!!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

If you’re crackers like you profile says you haven’t meet me, I’m crazy for the sound!:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I'm not into theater sound as much as you obviously are Andy, but I distinctly remember west end showings of Total Recall and T2 being so loud I seriously thought my eardrums might not survive the evening.

But back to Dracula 79, here's a link to the cover, http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/11254...a/Product.html
and how rubbish is that? What was wrong with the original poster? I'll wait till someone reviews it before I decide on double dipping, I'm hoping of course they 'accidentally' release the original full colour theatrical version, if it still exists.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

I can see the “CIC logo” Cinema international Corporation, in the bottom left hand corner, so I would say you saw it at the Empire!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I can see the “CIC logo” Cinema international Corporation, in the bottom right hand corner, so I would say you saw it at the Empire!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Steve

It still exists there just frigging lazy buggers! To produce the original design!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
WOW this design for the region 1 DVD looks very cool, very cool indeed!

http://www.ecranlarge.com/images/dvd/tests/dracula3.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Dracula-John-Badham/dp/B0002KVULG

Well it’s only a Dolby stereo 4:2:4 realise, but I’m sure the THX sound system will still give it plenty of bite!

Disc 1
Run Time: 1 Hour 50 Minutes
MPAA Rating: R
Bonus Materials

Feature Commentary with Director John Badham
Photo Gallery
Making of "The Revamping of Dracula"
Technical Information
Audio

English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Captions: English
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1)
Color

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks