What's new

'John Adams' HBO Miniseries (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yeah HBO seems to be in Network Mode these days, John was a great series that warranted a Series 2, as did Deadwood Deserve to continue.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Giamatti is a gifted Versitile actor look at the diversity of all the roles he has taken from Sideways to Pig Vomit in Private Parts (God that DVD Needs a Re-Issue) to the Killer in Shoot em up.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have not yet seen tonights episode but have just finished the last episode from from last week and I have to say the measure of a great show is when you can look past the actors and totally immerse youself in the moment. I felt like a fly on the wall when Adams, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson were drawing up the Declaration Of Indepedence. It was as if I were there when it happened. Thank God I didn't cancel HBO after The Sopranos, HBO just might have some redemming quality after all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this week's Don't Tread On Me,
which clearly stands out as the series strongest entry to date.

I love Mylan's remark of being "a fly on the wall," as that is
exactly the feeling one has watching this series. The performances
and cinematography are so well done that you feel as if you are
watching history unfolding before your eyes.

Paul Giamatti's performance is just brilliant. He has suddenly moved
up the ranks as one of my favorite top Hollywood actors. As I stated
previously, I am so emotionally attached to his character. In a lot
of ways he represents many of us who lack the skills of being a
dignitary, but yet are fighters at heart. I identify with his character
on so many levels.

This episode truly showed the enormous production value that was
put into this series, particularly the battle aboard the ship and the
scope of Versailles. I sat in amazement watching the uncomfortableness
and frustration of John Adams in French society. One cannot help but
feel for him as he fights so hard for his accomplishments only to be
perceived as a "second fiddle" to the beloved Ben Franklin.

I give great applause to HBO for investing and bringing this series
to its this network. It is so refreshing to take a personal look at
the magnitude of someone as John Adams. He is everything that
encompasses the meaning of being a great man -- and he truly was.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So what's with all the digs on HBO's quality of original programming lately? 'The Wire' (possibly the greatest television show of all time) only just ended 2 weeks ago. And we've still got 'Entourage', 'Flight of the Conchords', 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', 'Big Love'...not to mention the very ambitious 'In Treatment' (why isn't anyone talking about this series?). All that, with 'John Adams', the upcoming 'Generation Kill' and all of the other recent original films, I'd say HBO has never been better for original programming (The Wire's sad departure notwithstanding).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Basically, I agree with you but I think the bulk of that comes from HBO losing and not having anything BIG to replace its flagship (The Sopranos which alot people just seemed to complain about anyway), cancelling shows that were very expensive for the small numbers that they got (Carnivale and Deadwood) or a great show but no one watched it (The Wire).

That being said, I have to admit that the only things that I still want to see are Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage. I'll also give any new show a shot but John From Cincinnati was the only new series that I've liked since Deadwood or Entourage started. Based on the strength of The Wire, I do have high hopes for Generation Kill though.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah the only thing I still watched on HBO was Big Love, I've caught a few wire's here and there, it's a great show but not one you can jump into. It's just that I think also the Cancellation of Deadwood in mid stride, for cost cutting measures, and to a Lesser Degree John in Cincinatti, soured alot of People to HBO. That and the Fact that Showtime, with Dexter, Weeds and Californication, and the Tudors (which I Have'nt watched) seems to be hitting a peak that HBO experienced when they had Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City and Deadwood.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Theres definitely been a backlash against HBO. Its started with the cancelling Carnivale and only got worse with Deadwood. Rome was supposed to go 5 seasons and got canned even ending the second season short with 10 eps instead of 12.

The ending of Sopranos pissed off alot of people as well.

Deadwood was it for me. If it wasnt for boxing, I would have cancelled HBO.HBO isnt supposed to be like network TV. If I wanted a network that would cancel shows I invested in, Id watch FOX. You make a investment in these characters and expect a premiuim channel to finish what they started. Especially when theyre constantly reminding you its not TV, its HBO.

I wont be investing in new shows, whats the point if theyre only going to cancel them? Big Love, In Treatment(whats with this country obsession with therapy???).. no thanks. I'll will watch Entourage to the end. HBO is also trying to make it difficult for me because Anna Paquin has a show coming on by 6FU creator Alan Ball based on the Southern Vampire stories. You can expect it in Sept and HBO has high hopes for it.

With Brotherhood, Dexter, Californication, Meadowlands, Tudors,Weeds I think alot of people who are fed up with HBO are watching Showtime instead.

I dont want to turn this into a HBO sucks thread, but you did ask.

John Adams was awhile in the making, and Im a sucker for historical pieces like this - so Ive been looking foward to this one.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Watched first two parts during DirecTV's free preview weekend. DVD just announced for 6/10. Potential price scares me, but I want to see the rest of it so bad! (I dropped HBO after cancellation of Carnivale.)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Last night's episode Don't Tread on Me was a masterpiece. The staging and acting of the French Court had such an aura of authenticity. As in Walter Cronkite's You Are There series I felt as if I was there.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought that Episode 3 was the weakest episode to date. I much preferred the first two Episodes. To me a lot of the episode dragged. Yes, the Versailles (actually Hungary) settings were impressively life-like but I found much of the interactions with the French tedious and drawn out. The ships battling was well done but overall I didn't feel as much a connection to my country's history in Episode Three.

That said, Paul Giamatti continues to shine in the role and I feel that the series will get back on track for me when he returns to our shores. As to HBO, they still offer a lot of good shows but they are clearly no longer the only serious pay service in town. Showtime has come a long way with Dexter, Brotherhood, Weeds, Californication, The Tudors, etc. and even "little" Starz did it for me this season with Head Case and Hollywood Residential. Some really funny stuff from a channel I hardly ever watched (until now.)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was another great episode. Talk about Ben Franklin basically throwing Adams under the proverbial bus!!

I'd like to touch on the job Laura Linney is doing as Abigail. When she knew John was leaving again and that she was once again going to have hold down the fort was powerful. She is just as much a patriot as John is, and she knows what he is doing is necessary, but it doesn't make the home life any easier.

I loved the conversation when her daughter asked (paraphrasing) "Why do the boys (men) get to have all the fun?" - Abigail simply replies "Because we let them." - friggin priceless.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Good news, the MSRP is $60 so you should be able to get for about $40. I think now that The Sopranos is finished, HBO has dropped the $100 MSRP for their season sets (although I know sets like Deadwood and the last few seasons of The Sopranos still haven't dropped to $60).

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Enjoy this show, all the lead actors are doing a find job, IMHO. Too bad we only have a few more episodes...:frowning:
David Morse is a great Washington, IMHO.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I caught up on all episodes last night. WOW! Series is clicking all around, acting, production, everything. I know it's been mentioned before but here's cover art and some info on features for the DVD set: John Adams The year keeps getting more expensive! :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Part5 and its easily my favorite so far. Excellent job.

I though that Washingtons inauguration at the end of Part4 was a wonderul scene.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The chemistry between Giamatti and Linney was great in this episode. You really feel the love between John and Abigail.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am up-to-date on John Adams and looking forward
to the final two episodes.

As the story has progressed into the 1790s I found it odd that
nothing was mentioned about the death of Benjamin Franklin
who died in April of 1790. Franklin was a dear friend to John
Adams and you would think the series would acknowledge the
death of Mr. Franklin and the impact it had on Mr. Adams.

I also have a question about King George III, who we met in the
third or fourth installment. Was he mad? Seems he was portrayed
as a scared little man.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even though Franklin and Adams were allies in the war for independence, they did have some major differences of contention that were touched on by this excellent series which deeply affected their relationship. Furthermore, since this series is about Adams and his life, I can see why they didn't mentioned Franklin's death and instead focus on Adams relationship with his sons and his dealings with Hamilton, Jefferson and Washington. The first two founding fathers will have a dramatic effect on the rest of John Adams life that the final two episodes will probably deal with.

As far as King George III, he looked more like a scary man than a scared little man. His mental illness became more pronounced after the Adams meeting during the later stages of his life.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
George III had Porphyria, not really mental illness. Watch "The Madness of King George". It's a fantastic film with stellar performances from Nigel Hawthorne and Helen Mirren, and it gives a pretty good look at that portion of history.

What George III was was PISSED OFF. He hated the colonies. They were a terrible thorn in his side. He was well aware he would be remembered as the King who allowed America to slip away from the Empire. Of course, his bouts of porphyria likely had to do with some of his mishandling of things.

Last night was a stellar episode, recounting Adams' Presidential term. Powerful stuff. The conclusion looks to be even more so. This mini-series has been a true masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks