What's new

Joan of Arc on DVD (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Joan Of Arc on DVD.
I'm really interested in the story of Joan Of Arc and wondered what the 1999 films were like. I never saw the Besson version because it got a critical slamming when released, and I haven't seen the award winning TV version starring Leelee Sobieski either. Which (if any) is worth getting? What are the films like? What are the DVD's like?
Thanks.
------------------
M.J.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Martin,
I have Luc Besson's Messenger:The Story of Joan of Arc and its a pretty good movie. I don't know how historically accurate it is but its pretty good although very violent.
The DVD itself is excellent in terms of picture quality and sound. It is a DD-EX soundtrack as well. I'm a big Besson fan so I may be a little biased.
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I think you're just gonna have to rent these puppies and make your own evaluation. I mean, Patrick really digs The Messenger, but I thought it was the worst film of that year. Just terrible. So bad it made me angry. I'm getting a little steamed just thinking about that pile of doo.
YMMV.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Al,
Wow, you hated it that bad hey? I may have to rewatch it. For reference, have you seen Besson's the Big Blue and what did you think of that?
Patrick
------------------
If you live in Vancouver, B.C. or the surrounding areas, take a look at the Local Home Theater Forum Meets section for a Vancouver meet.
My DVD Collection

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the Besson version myself, but then I am a big Besson fan. Some say that Dustin Hoffman's role distracts from the story, but it worked for me.
However, there is one important story point towards the end of the film that flatly contradicts a book I've read on Joan of Arc. If I can figure out how to use the "Spoilers" tool on this site I'll post details later.
By the way, can anyone tell me if there is a scene cut from the movie? On both the UK theatrical version and the R1 DVD version we see a flashback of Jeanne killing someone out of shot (the English commander perhaps?) and screaming, but the earlier scene to which it seems to refer does not appear in either version.
Finally, I haven't seen the TV version, but am planning on getting it sometime. However, I can heavily recommend the Criterion edition of the silent film "The Passion of Joan of Arc".

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I prefer Joan of Arc over The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc.
However, this is a matter of personal taste. Both versions tell different stories. Same outcome but different plotting and focus points.
Also, since The Messenger has the comfort of the R rating, The Messenger features more violent scenes...including the test of Joan's virginity.
I say rent or borrow both films and see which one floats your boat.
Then after that, check out the superior La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc(The Passion of Joan of Arc). This title is part of the Criterion Collection library.
------------------

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Al-
I think the term you are looking for is "Offensively Bad"
The Messenger is bar none the worst piece of vile garbage to come out of Hollywood in it's respective year. A film that I hated so much that I actually became physically nauseous with anger while viewing it. It certainly does not help matters that the director approaches the serious subject matter as if it where a Pepsi commercial. Not to mention that Milla Jovovitch has yet to graduate from the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen school of fine acting. Her Joan appears to be an escapee from a methadone clinic.
The mini-series version is vast towering improvement over the Messenger in every way shape and form.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I have both of these discs (as well as The classic PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC) and enjoy both in their own way. Now I have an admitted weakness more medieval tales and the tale of Jean D'Arc is one of the great stories of that period. I enjoy the contrasting interpretations.
THE MESSENGER has much crudeness and the anachronistic dialog was amusing. However, Besson has a wonderful visual style and Serra's music is terrific. The exploration of the validity of her claim and her self doubt are interesting to me.
The TV JOAN OF ARC is good but definitely has a very TV feel to it if you know what I mean. It is much more linear and less challenging, but probably more in line with the classic interpretation of the tale.
Many members of the HTF seem to take the story of Jean D'Arc very seriously and are offended by what they consider to be a lack of respect to a story that after all led to Jean becoming canonized in the Catholic Faith.
While Jean is an historic figure, the central premise of divine intervention makes the story more of a fantasy tale to me and so I do not expect great historical accuracy.
I can understand, however how someone who believes that Jean is a saint, would have a much different opinion.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
To dislike the movie is one thing but to call it a Hollywood movie is completely wrong. It definitely did not come out of Hollywood even if it had a few Hollywood actors. It couldn't be further from a Hollywood movie because Besson took a chance and made it gritty instead of glossing over how brutal a time it was instead of making it as happy an ending as you could get considering she dies.
And, to compare it to a Pepsi commercial is way off base. Last time I saw it I didn't see an old ex-Presidential candidate looking like a pedophile.
I can understand if you don't like it but the other comparisons are not even close.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks