What's new

JM Labs electra 927Be review (1 Viewer)

DarrylP

Grip
I've got the 7000sc Mains, CLR 3000 and 4 x BPXV for the surrounds and backs.

I've a Meridian G68 and a Plinius Odeon.

Darryl

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Not that I am trying to turn you off the CC901 center, but if you are having a hard time with the dialogue, it may be a set up issue. I had no problem with that with my C/L/R 1000, and your center has a built in sub. Now, Def Tech is a little liberal on their specs, but you should have no problem hearing the center like you are describing. I mean, all of your speakers are powered. It is possible that the out put from all of those other powered speakers is just too much and the 3000 is just not strong enough. I would say that it is a calibration issue and check it again.

Nice set up by the way :emoji_thumbsup:

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice review, from one JM Lab owner (Micro Utopias) to another. JM Lab speakers are among the best, but they don't get the recognition they deserve.
-Erik

DarrylP

Grip
Hi Mike

Believe me the setup has been redone and rechecked at least 15 times.

Levels have been checked with three different make SPL meters, a pink noise generator has been used with an analyser to check for problems, the Meridian Room Correction program has been run often and the Velodyne DD 15 bass equalization program has been used to flatten the subs.

The room has been acoustically panelled in the crucial areas too.

Regards
Darryl

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Erik . I was seriously thinking about the micros, but the thought of having a limited edition JM was to good to pass up. And from my review you can see that I am pleased with the result. I do agree that they do not get the credit they deserve. But I am hoping that with this and my SW900 review that will change.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently JMlab is very famous in the European country, especially France. But it needs time for it to develop their names over different continents.
However, I have notice over these past years there are a lot more dealers that carries JMLab speakers. I guess, when the product greatly satisfy the customer, they will always come back to have a look at the same brand when they decide to upgrade their equipment. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with that view. Sometimes it takes time for people to come around. I know that if I think about upgrading, not for a while, I will try to look at the Utopia line up.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
DarrylP
Well, it seems that you have everything covered. Maybe you should give the CC-901 a shot then. Like I said before, it is a very capable center speaker. Are you considering a complete change to JM speakers or are just trying to find a better center.

DarrylP

Grip
Hi Mike

I've one last item I'm going to try i.e. a new crossover in my centre.

If that doesn't work then I'll try the 901cc but I'd initially test the centre and then probably buy all seven.

Darryl

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
DarrylP

That is a good test. Let me know.
Good luck

Which do you think you might buy if this does not work.
Mike D
Signing Off

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
DarrylP
I am in the U.S and it is 1:00am.
If you ask a question or comment on an item I will reply as soon as I can. But I will reply.
Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
DarrylP
You said that you might get all seven. What speakers would you be thinking about and would you also get the SW900 sub of keep the sub you have now.

DarrylP

Grip
No Mike,

I'd buy the mains,centre and 4 x SR900.

I've two Velodynes, a DD 15 and a HGS 15 and I'd retain both of these.

Darryl

DarrylP

Grip
Finally satisfaction!!!!!

I originally had to purchase a previously owned and damaged CLR 3000 centre speaker as Definitive Technology cannot supply a new 240 volt unit and I've never been happy with my sound system's dialogue?

After all my months of dissatisfaction on Monday I arranged for an excellent dealer to demo a Klipsch centre in my HT.

By comparison it was so good that I decided immediately to switch back to Klipsch or the JMLabs!

I requested that the dealer calculate what the changeover price would be if he took the Def Techs in part exchange and he indicated he would need a few of days.

On Tuesday I decided that before I committed to this final move I'd absolutely insist as I was now going to pay, that the distributor change centre speaker crossover and after much arguing (it’s not necessary as there's nothing wrong with it) they agreed and yesterday I took the speaker in and waited 90 minutes for it.

Again as I was paying, I asked for the old crossover to be returned.

When I collected the speaker firstly, they absolutely refused to allow any payment and secondly the technician who worked on the speaker handed me the crossover and pointed out that there was no visible damage i.e. as there were no darkened components or signs of overheating or distress and in his opinion there was nothing wrong with the old crossover.

After reinstalling the speaker within no more than 30 seconds I realised that for the very first time in my HT I was hearing absolutely brilliant sound!!!

Now I appreciate why people absolutely rave about Def Techs and I'm definitely not changing.

Admittedly I've now got an astonishing sound system and components but, what I'm less than pleased about is, in order to try and rectify the problem, the thousands of dollars I spent with comparatively little effect on new electronics, peripherals and acoustic treatments (new amp, pre-amp etc).

The old crossover now makes me the proud owner of the most expensive paper weight in the world!

Happy and broke.

Darryl

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am gald that it all worked out in the end. So the Def Tech sounds "correct" now. That is great. Like I said my old C/L/R 1000 sounded very good as well. Glad to hear that your set up kicks but again.
Mike D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.