What's new

jl audio 10" w0 8ohm (1 Viewer)

PATONDALOOSE

Auditioning
Real Name
BRYCE
im new to this stuff i recently bought a pair of jl audio 10" w0 subs in the listing it said they were a 8ohm. when ever i look up amps they only rate a 2ohm and 4ohm. can this sub be wired up as an 4ohm or 2ohm? also what type of 5 channel amp would i need to power these subs

Real Name
Dustin
if you are looking at a 5 channel amp, i am assuming you are meaning to run your speakers off the 4 channels and these subs off the sub channel... you definately dont need a 5 channel amp for 2 subs...

Now as far as the impendance(ohm's rating)... they are single coil subs and rated at 8 ohms each... meaning if you wire them in parallel, you will be presenting a 4 ohm load to the amp. If i remember correctly, those subs in particular want about 125Watts RMS each... so an amp putting out 250 rms or more, at 4 ohms mono is going to be what you look for in an amp.

Now, as far as amps to run these subs, the list can go on forever as far as good quality amps in any price range... here is what I would like to know.

-what do you plan on buying all together? (head unit? new front speakers? amp? etc..)
-what is your budget total for everything you are upgrading
-what kind of music do you listen to and what type of sound are you looking for out of your system?(some people want overpowering bass, some people want crystal clear highs, some people want a nice flat frequency response at all volume levels, some people want to go as far as they can to hear the music exactly as it was recorded and meant to be heard. you get the idea)
-what kind of vehicle? this plays a big part sometimes!!

answering those simple questions will help me(or someone else) help you better and recomend things better... now i said this in another thread also... if you can get over the immaturity and rudeness in some of the posts, going through CarAudioForum.com might be a good idea. there are many more people like myself there, willing to help as much as possible to lead you in the right direction. And answers come a lot quicker as it is dedicated to car audio, not home theaters.

hope some of this rant helps lol

PATONDALOOSE

Auditioning
Real Name
BRYCE
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. WELL I ENDED UP BUYING A ALPINE MRV-F357 5 CHANNELS AMP. WHAT KIND OF COMPONENT SPEAKERS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THIS AMP? I NEED 6 1/2 DOOR SPEAKERS AND 6X9'S. I FIGURE THE 1 SUB CHANNEL THAT PUTS OUT 240 WATTS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THE 10" INCH SUBS. IM NOT LOOKING TO SPEND A LOT. JUST WANT A GOOD SYSTEM.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've heard some great reviews about the Cadence components. They were selling for over $250/pair when they were introduced.

What are the 6x9's for? Rear speakers? You don't need them.

-Robert

PATONDALOOSE

Auditioning
Real Name
BRYCE
i really dont need 6x9's? only need a really nice pair of midrange with tweeters. well that cool dude. will 6x9's make it sound better though because i dont intend to have the subs going all the time my 1yr old wouldnt like that. haha

Real Name
Dustin
i would realy consider ditching the 6x9s all together. they will drag your soundstage back and just muddy things up. focus on getting a good set of front comps.

Robert was spot on with those comps. I actualy had a pair for a little while $85 shipped for those is a steal. They realy can't be beat for the price.

Now, I researched that amp and see it does 80 watts RMS @ 4 ohms when bridged to 2 channels rather than 4... that would run those components beautifully.

The problem: it shows me that it only puts out 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms to the sub channel... not exactly optimal. So let me ask again a few things that will help me point you in the right direction....

1. What is your total budget for this build?
2. Are the subs already in an enclosure?
3. What kind of vehicle?
4. what kind of sound are you looking for and what kind of music will be playing the majority of the time?

These are vital for giving recomendations or helping set up a system.
Also, where are you located? I'm always curious to know, becuase if I can physicaly help it makes life easier, and can teach a lot more in person, with the car on hand.

PATONDALOOSE

Auditioning
Real Name
BRYCE
I REALLY ONLY WANNA SPEND 200 TOPS ON AN AMP, THE SUBS ARE ENCLOSED, I HAVE A HONDA CIVIC, AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE GOOD BASS BUT REALLY WANT TO HEAR THE MUSIC BECAUSE I WONT HAVE THE SUBS GOING ALL THE TIME.

Real Name
Dustin
$200 bucks for a decent quality amp putting out good power for a pair of 10W0s running at a total impendance of 4 ohms, plus 75-100 watts per channel at 4 ohms at your front stage is cutting it close... lemme check something real quick...

OK, If you are willing to up your budget a tad (I appologize, I'm not allowed to advertise these prices on the internet.), I can actualy get you an AMAZING deal on a phenomenal quality amp. It's a 4 channel amp. If you bridge the rear channels to your subs, it will give them 300 watts@4ohms. The front channels put out 75 watts per side at 4 ohms.... it is a tiny bit over your budget... but the quality of the amp and ability to put out rated power cleanly is all top notch.
(The amp is a Cadence ZRS 7504)
Let me know if you are interested, I will check with the rep about pricing and PM you. Like I said, he prefers no one advertising any special pricing he can offer to certain people and certain forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks