What's new

Jericho ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Really? Do you remember what the date was? Did they show it in its regular Friday slot? Not sure how we missed it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Recent word this past week from CBS is that they'll be picking up the show for another 7-8 episodes if these first seven do well in the ratings. So get everyone you can to watch it...Nina Tassler said that an extended season depends on growing the audience-base.

Also, you've all seen the front cover art of the Season One DVD box by now, but check out the backside:

Damn...lotsa commentaries and documentary features for a show that nearly died; even other CBS shows like Criminal Minds and NCIS don't rate multiple tracks like Jericho's boasting. Looking forward to hearing Jon Turteltaub's, Lennie James's and Carol Barbee's thoughts in particular -- they're all extremely vocal and passionate about the show. Skeet shouldn't be a bad listen, either.

Though I wonder -- is the "What If?" feature in any way related to the "Countdown" web documentaries that CBS put up after the "Beyond Jericho" webisodes got WGA-shitcanned? Was hoping either or both of these would turn up on the DVD; they filmed at least four "Beyond Jericho" episodes before the plug was pulled. Also, I've heard that certain music tracks from certain episodes became clearance-issues victims, but since the show's music was never a major concern of mine, it still doesn't bother me much.

Michael Ausiello of TV Guide just dropped a new spoiler tidbit concerning the new season, and (I'm presuming) the former-Senator-and-now-President Telmarchio:
Still anxious to learn why the fuck Daniel Benzali would nuke his own country, though. The fact that we're gonna be meeting the President should dovetail into this whole backstory in a major way.

Lastly, did anyone hear about Clay Aiken, of all people, helping the renewal campaign via his blog? Turns out he's a major fan of the show, and used his website as a (pardon pun) rallying point for the fanbase, and to get folks's attention as to Jericho's existence.

The guy just went up about ten points in my estimation.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
What bothers me from that backside shot is:

SOME MUSIC HAS BEEN CHANGED FOR THIS HOME ENTERTAINMENT VERSION
SOME EPISODES MAY BE EDITED FROM THEIR ORIGINAL NETWORK VERSIONS

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Though one of the conditions for further S2 episodes is how well the DVDs sell -- CBS is watching the sales numbers closely, and a few snips here and there (worst case scenario) aren't enough to deter me.

Still have the originals TiVo'd, and I could give a fig, really, if a few music cues are slightly different on the set, either. Eh.

(Unless you were deadpan-kidding about that last bit?)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I know. The fact that more episodes depend on good DVD sales is what originally pushed me over into buying the season in the first place.

But I just don't knowingly buy DVDs that are edited from their original version. I didn't buy Bruce Almighty because they clumsily changed his phone number to a 555 after all of those complaints. A major part of the joy of TV on DVD for me is knowing that I basically have a time capsule of television I loved in years gone by. Edited music interferes with that. Considering basically every show goes to DVD now, you think they'd lock up the music rights for the DVDs in the initial contracts. I can understand why they might now be able to for season two, with a razor-thin budget, but what was the excuse for season one?

All that having been said, I'm grateful to everyone that CAN get over my hang ups and buy the set. The show needs all of the support it can get.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I hate to break up the party, but Amazon sales rank for the Season 1 set is only #780. Contrast that with Bones S2 (I am guessing it had a similar amount of popularity) which is #60.

We better get everyone to buy this set, or the shortened S2 could be the last.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Lest face it the 1st half of Jericho was poor, it got much better in the 2nd Half, even so it's not a series IMHO that bears repeat Viewings, I can't see myself buying the set.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This is basically the way I feel, also. I watched every episode as it aired during the season, but I haven't seen any of the reruns on Friday.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I feel the same way, but I could say that about pretty much every show. Never really understood the appeal of watching a television show more than once, even the good ones. Unless it's a really good one like 'The Wire'. Or perhaps if it were many years later.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
And my wife and I feel exactly the opposite... that the first half of the season was great, and then after the hiatus it was a lesser program, and we were ready for it to be canceled by the end of the season.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Did Jericho skip an episode the week before last? I have it on my DVR and started watching last week's episode, but it seemed like I had missed something.

Also, am I alone in thinking that Jericho has some of the worst music? I like the original music but I can't stand most of the songs that have been played. That Killers song in the first episode, while I like it in itself, was horribly out of place. I think this might be the one case where the show will BENEFIT from music substitutions! (except Nothing Compares 2 U - it would be really strange if that was replaced)

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I will admit, that was my thought too. When I heard the music was being changed, I actually had more (not less) interest in the box. The music with this series never fit, it seems very off. So, if they do anything to change the music and the directors are OK with it, I'm sure it can be no worse then it is now.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
According to AICN and TV columnist James Hibberd, Jericho might be coming back to CBS as early as next month:

You can read even more from the article here, including the long-suspected confirmation that it was the Sci-Fi Channel who offered to pick up the show after CBS originally axed it...and some very interesting Carol Barbee statements at the very end of the piece.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else want to guess which of those shows might be the first to be cancelled. I am guessing Viva Laughlin. I think the premise of this show is just too strange to catch on. Just my $0.02 worth of opinion. I am definitely looking forward to the return of Jericho. I hope these 7 episodes.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I'd be fine with it returning next month. :D

7 episodes doesn't sound like much. But then I have to remind myself that season 1 of Homicide: Life on the Street was only 9 episodes followed by a mere 4 episodes for season 2. It then went on to get 5 additional full seasons. Not that I think that will happen in this case, but one can always hope. :laugh:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Believe it or not, according to what producers have recently said, not only might CBS be greenlighting an additional 7-8 episodes for the "back half" of Season 2, but that they're committed to a full, 22-episode Season 3, should this one do well enough in the ratings (per last week's IGN article).

And, of course, there's what Carol Barbee says at the end of that above article about getting the story told elsewhere, should CBS somehow decide to drop it. Bringing it back as quickly as possible would build on whatever momentum the reruns and the new DVD set have generated, since the show is still relatively fresh in the public's mind.

And would allow them leeway to either produce those additional 7-8 installments, or commission the full third season, depending on certain variables (the looming WGA strike being a biggie).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks