What's new

Jericho ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Entirely too many commercials. Every 10 minues (yes, I counted) we were in a commercial.

The other thing: from what I understand, the president was giving a national address (to Congress) when the shoe starts. I also remember it's supposed to be 6 pm, Kansas time. KS is in the central time zone, right? So the prez is making a national speech at 7 pm Washington time? I hated that little bit if I got the timeline right.

And what was the purpose of the entire lesson about which hand was left? Seemed like padding to me.

I'll give it a couple more weeks, or until "30 Rock" debuts. Then it might just fall off the schedule.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it was to setup further the characters. The Mayor's son is good in a pinch with emergency tracheotomies, but not good with kiddie issues. The woman can't do beans with knives and straws, but is caring and good with kids. And will of course be a good match for him.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

And I was looking forward to seeing all these little kids walk into town with their hands up in the shape of an "L". Probably would have been over the top and unintentionally hilarious.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

I thought it was great too. I was waiting and waiting to see this - and I did not feel disappointed in the slightest. (I actually had a minor freakout because my DVR appeared to break right when I pushed play on it - nightmare! - but it righted itself.) I was glued to the screen - some of the scenes were really, really affecting - the boy listening to the tape of his parents dying, him telling the group that his parents hadn't been in Denver, they were in Atlanta, the dead birds everywhere...intense. Loved all of that.

I think it did a good job of setting up potential storyline and character arc developments in this too. How will they survive, who is left, where are the others, if there are any, the prison bus, who is that guy from st. louis, etc.

Also, was that Major Dad? How did I miss that he was in this?

RickGr

Second Unit
They said they had no radio signals outside the local police. That is why they tried the HAM radio to see if shortwave signals were coming in. (and not all ham radio operators are wierd like that guy!)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Meh, it was okay.

I thought it was a tad too chaotic, and not in the sense that this town has just experienced something terrible, I say chaotic as in disorganized and poorly plotted by the writers. Some of the dialogue seemed a little cheesy and out of place as well, like the mayor's speech to the town, the only thing missing from that was Bill Pullman's speech fanfare from Independance Day.

All in all i'd say that Jericho is on the bubble, i'll give it a couple of more tries before throwing in the towel.

On the plus side, I did like the show's feeling of dread and uncertaintly about what has happened, it sort of reminded me of something that Stephen King would have written, very The Stand-ish.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I finally got a chance to see it, and I enjoyed it very much!

I just have this bad feeling that this show will be doomed, since CBS tends not to have much faith in shows that are not crime procedurals.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Their mentality is bolstered by the ratings their crime procedurals get. Average TV viewers are more apt to be attracted to shows with self-contained episodes vs. shows with long-running arcs because the viewers don't want to have to watch every single episode from the very beginning to enjoy the episode at hand. Those viewers seem to be the norm for Nielsen families, while the rest of us who enjoy shows that feature a weekly investment to enjoy the long-running arcs are left to hope such a show gets enough viewers or commitment from the network to keep it on the air.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I've heard "Better Days" on three different shows this week and of course in plenty of promos.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
My main gripe with the pilot is that there is just too much damn music. There are no quiet moments. The episode was all set-up of course but i think they need to have faith that a director and actor can set a mood with out an unending soundtrack the whole way through. I'll watch next week and see what I think. Who is that Mysterious Man?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Aaaargh. The single most CRITICAL scene of this episode, the sequence which sets up the whole series was completely botched by a premature and intrusive piece of music. Why the loud, "suspensful" music BEFORE such markers as cell phones, radios and TVs going off? You SHOW those things, THEN introduce the music to ACCOMPANY viewers emotions.

I wish it was limited to that scene but the obnoxious, overbearing music was omni-present thereafter.

Still, a well made show, especially in contrast to Heroes (a superficial comparison, they have nothing in common beside being two new shows I checked out), which was just a mess on every level.

So technically, with the exception of the dang music, we're good. Now waiting to see if the writing rises above cookie-cutter "I am proud of you, son" level.

Adam, good call on Mysterious Black Man.

This thing clocked in at less than 40 minutes, a full 2-3 minutes less than your average TV show. Soon there will be more commercial time than show time...

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks