What's new

jensen speakers anygood (1 Viewer)

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
Best to get them AFTER you research, unless you can still bring them back if you desire.
Have no idea of what model you are talking about and it would not matter, because no one on this forum is likely to track generations of Jensen speakers.
All speakers have improved across the board, because of competition and more people knowing what 'good sound' is.
But Jensen speakers are inexpensive, Im sure, and as such have probably very limited engineering work done on them outside of figuring how to manufature them quickly and inexpensively as possible, and provide a good general sound that is likely shy of realism, but is not irritating to the senses.
Does this make them useless? NO, not at all and in a modest stereo or small HT setup they may be adequate until you step up to something else.
Basic way to evaluate speakers is to take a recording you know well, and take it to a place that will allow you to try different speakers and audtion them. It is through this repeated process you discover what good sound is, and also what you like.
As your senses sharpen, you will also be able to select other components more carefully , while still keeping 'within budget'. No one is born knowing these things, anymore than you are born riding a bicycle.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Jensen speakers are inexpensive, Im sure, and as such have probably very limited engineering work done on them outside of figuring how to manufature them quickly and inexpensively as possible, and provide a good general sound that is likely shy of realism, but is not irritating to the senses.
Looks to me that they are well designed w/competitive specifications and comes with a nice cabinet! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jensen SPX-9 Quad 5"2 Way Floor system

Jensen SPX-5 6"2 Way Surround/ Bookshelf system

Jensen SPX-15 Quad 5"2 Way Centre Speaker

James - REFERENCE Calibrate your HT SETUP, break them in (about 50 - 100 hrs.) and then tell us your impressions when you have time!

Phil

JamesF

Grip
what do you mean by ( reference calibrate them )
Im sorry for being a bit "slow" im new to this and im trying to pick up as much as i can, which leads me to say THANKS to everyone, this is a great forum
I use to have a sony stereo with surround speakers which i then connected to the yami , thought it sounded great till i got these speakers, mind you my first choice were Welling HT speakers which i thought sounded like they were in a box, i quickly returned those and doubled my budget to get the Jensens.
A friend thought my amp mighten be getting the best out of the speakers thats why im asking about them, i also got a welling sub which i had bought earlier , i decided to keep it, the jensen sub was just out of reach of my budget.
http://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/welling_sub.htm
I was looking at the yami 540 640 would they be much better than the 420??
thanks again
should i be running all speakers as large or small??

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
...should i be running all speakers as large or small??
Since you have the Welling WS-12 150w 12" Subwoofer, run all your speakers 'small', and let the Yamaha fixed 90 Hz x-over handle the chores! Turn off your Welling sub internal x-over if you can, ... if you cannot, then MAX the x-over control @ it's highest setting so it doesn't interfere with the Yamaha's x-over.

Phil

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
From what I can see those Jensen's look VERY well built to
be completely honest.. Granted I have no idea how heavily
braced or constructed the cabinents are, I have no idea
how good the crossovers are but just from looking at them
I can see that the Tweeter is Time Aligned and that's not
generally something you see on "Budget" speakers.. I am
actually amazed to see a time accurate aligned tweeter in
these.

I bet they sound pretty damn good for what they cost.

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
They certainly surprised me! I looked up Jensen speakers on the web and missed this link.
It would be interesting to read a critical review. If they are as good as they appear such a review should be coming.
It is encouraging there is more and more competition out there which can only drive other manufactures to try harder.

JamesF

Grip
The speakers were bought from JB HI-FI in Dandenong Victoria Australia
The spx9 retail for $1300, spx15 $700, spx5 $550
I got the lot for $1700 ausdollar, the spx19 was $1700 maybe the next item??????????
I will try and get a sound meter and set my HT up better and let you all know
Thanks for everyone opinions

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
From the days of old I had a mental picture already in my head when Jensen was mentioned. Then, like Brett, my mouth just hung open as I looked and began to read. As mentioned above, if they preform near specs very impressive.

I also saw, as you did Brett, the TA speaker set up on the baffle and and also noticed the weight of the sub coming in at around 50lbs. Ah, seems Jensen may be making a run at the HT world, and on looks alone seems to have done a nice job.

Enjoy your new toys
Geoff

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Geez....these Jensen speakers don't look like any Jensen speakers we can get here in the States.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
JamesF, join the Aussie HT forum HTCentral - you might get more feedback.
Being from JB HiFi, they could be anything (greatcrap)

I agree that asking us (or there) before you buy is advisable.

JamesF

Grip
that link doesnt really point to anything (htcentral)
Is there a Ht forum in aus like this one, i doubt it would be as good as this one:)

carmen mc rae

Auditioning
Real Name
john benn
Of course,they are good.In fact i think they are brilliant. I purchased a pair of SPX-5 SPEAKERS FROM JB HI-FI in Camberwell in 1974. Since then i have had no problems with them & i am amazed as to how good they are. The sound quality is very lively with no distortion at all. They are rated at 100 WATTS RMS.They have a 10 year warranty. They cost me $450 to purchase & i think that they were a bargain. The mid-woofer measures 160 mm,the tweeter measures 25 mm & has a ferro-cooled voice coil.They also have a huge 227 gm ( 8 oz ) magnet. The frequency response is 40 hz to 21khz with a tweeter protection. The dimensions are 500 by 210 by 310. They are powered by a TEAC AS 100 60 w power amp. The sound as i said is pure & powerful,even at position 5 on the amp,which is half the total power.By the way i purchased in 1974 & except for a slight problem with warming up,the amp is great. I also have a THORENS TD 160 turntable which i purchased in july 1974 & that is still performing brilliantly. So in other words i would highly recommend the whole speaker range for value & performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks