What's new

JBL E30 Vs. Athena AS-B1 (1 Viewer)

ChrisTes

Agent
I'm getting ready to make a purchase. I've been looking into the speakers. And I've come down to these two set ups.

JBL
EC25 $100 x1
E20 $100/pr x2
Cost $300

Athena
AS-C1 $100 x1
AS-B1 $100/pr x2
Cost $300

Also, I could substitute E30s into the JBL setup and come out at $380. However, I'd rather stay around the 300 range. This way I can save up for a dayton sub and then eventually another pair of speakers. I haven't heard the Athenas, but I heard the E20s and really liked them. They made the yamahas right next to them sound like garbage. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks. Chris

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO it's worth it to save up a bit and go with two pairs of E30's and up the center to the EC35. Or you could stick with the E20's and go for an EC35 instead (I'd definately go for the EC35 over the 25). I've got two E30's in the front and an EC35. It's quite nice :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisTes

Agent
Ok. That sounds good. Will the E30s be a lot better than the Athenas? I figured out a roadmap to get a sweet setup over time. I think this will be better than getting cheap stuff.

Stage #1 - Center and mains
EC35 $159
E30 $140/pr

Stage #2 - Surrounds
E30 $140/pr

Stage#3 - Better interconnects
cables $150

Stage#4 - Subwoofer
Dayton 10" $130

Stage#5 - 5.1 ---> 6.1/7.1
E30 $140/pr

$720

I think this is a little better. Should I change the stages around (different order or different components, like smaller speakers for the surrounds)? Should I wait a little longer to put about 280 into a sub? each stage will be about every 2 weeks. I could wait longer and put more money into a sub. This would just mean a delay in moving to 6.1. Also, cables refer to a sub interconnect, toslink, 6 channel interconnects, heavy guage speaker wire, etc. Any input would be great. Thanks. Chris

John S

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought. I am one of the people that don't install with center channel specific speakers, I have done many a setup with 3 pair of E30's for full 6.1.

That would be my suggestion. I don't have much experience with The Athena Audition series but they actually sound fairly close to the JBL E series stuff as I have heard a pair of B1's. The slightly larger low end driver would have me probably going for the JBL's here.

But I like the look of the B1's better. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The B1s have pretty decent bass for their size actually. I think the highs on the JBLs are going to be smoother though. The Athenas are just a tad bright, but I really liked the midrange of the B1s.

ChrisTes

Agent
Ok thanks for the input. I think i'll go with the JBL's what about the sub. I don't want to go too intense i have a small room 12 x 15. I know everyone says, "go SVS or go home." SVS is a little out of my range. Also, I looked into the Hsu. The smallest one was $299. That's still a little steep for me. I'd like to get someting a little cheaper. I was thinking about the Dayton, but i'm not sure if it's good enough quality. Any advice? Thanks. Chris

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, if you've got the budget right now, I'd say get the 12" Dayton sub because it is on sale for $140 #300-634 vs the 10" #300-632. I wouldn't say it would be overkill for a room that size, and it's easier to turn something down than it is to turn it up if it doesn't meet your needs. I think quality vs price will be about as good as you can expect for the price.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, get the Dayton 12"....

You know in recent threads it has been noted that you can just get two pair of JBL E 30's, then you would have full 5.1, if you tell the AVR there is no center it will provide a sort of phantom center from your two front channels.

:)

Enjoy your new system. That is what I would do, at least till I could afford a center. That system would rock!!

ChrisTes

Agent
Thanks a lot guys. I think that is definitely what I want to do. It will take me a little bit to get to 4.1 but right now i'm going to start out with 2.1 and then in a couple of weeks get the surrounds. All of the advice I've gotten has been great. Thanks again. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks