What's new

Jazz Drummers (1 Viewer)

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I have always appreciated good drummers (Neil Peart, etc..) in rock. Since listening to my Dave Brubeck "Time Out" SACD and the song take five, my ears have been opened to jazz drummers. I was hoping that someone who is knowledgeable on jazz drummers could give me some recommendations for listening. If there is a SACD with a great jazz drummer that would be perfect but not expected.

The drummer could be one that does a solo or just one that adds a lot to the music as a result of their skill. I generally like fast beats and frequent change-ups (for lack of a better adjective, I'm not a musician by any means)

Thanks,

Matt

NP: Metallica S&M

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Try SAXOPHONE COLOSSUS by Sonny Rollins. Max Roach's druming is just too superlative. SPECTRUM by Billy Cobham is good in the fusion genere. I would explore Bill Bruford's solo albums like FEELS GOOD TO ME. Best wishes!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, I love this topic. :)

My personal favorite jazz drummer is Art Blakey, because he has the strongest and most driving sense of swing I've heard. His band for many decades, The Jazz Messangers, always feature the hottest musicians in the business. You can't go wrong picking up any of his many, many albums.

Max Roach is a master of subtlety, style, and dynamics. His stuff with Clifford Brown is gorgeous, but he played on so many albums it's impossible to list them.

For some amazing second generation post-bop music, I love Tony Williams, specifically his participation in Miles Davis' "second quintet." Albums like ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, and Nefertiti find a very young Williams exploring the concept of implying a beat, allowing space to play around the traditional rhythms.

No jazz drumming thread would be complete without mentioning Buddy Rich, of course. A favorite of many swing lovers.

I must mention two more of Miles' legendary drummers- Jimmy Cobb, featured in Kind of Blue, and Philly "Joe" Jones, who to me sounds like a disicple of Blakey.

Finally, for some truly explosive, polyrhythmic wizardry, check out Elvin Jones, most famous for playing with Coltrane on such seminal albums as A Love Supreme. The man is a monster behind the kit- and still touring!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
All the above are fantastic.

Some more modern examples that I really like are

Dennis Chambers
Chad Wackerman
Dave Weckl

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Gene Krupa was considered to be pretty good. I don't know if any of the older swing music is available on SACD.

Nick_G

Stunt Coordinator
probably not a whole lot of older stuff on SACD or DVD-A.

but if you are just looking for stuff just to listen to then listen to buddy rich, gene krupa, louie bellson, roy burns, etc. on some of their big band stuff.

plus listen to the smaller combos with philly joe jones, max roach, joe morello, tony williams, etc.

of course all of those mentioned big band drummers did some great combo stuff as well.

there are so many of them out there it's difficult to name them all. just do some searching and listening and you can't go wrong.

WillardK

Second Unit
Another mention of Max Roach won't hurt, will it? From his earlier be-bop to his later work with his daughter in the Double Quartet (mixing classical and jazz) and the all percussion M'Boom, there's a lot to explore. I saw him in New York a number of times both with a small combo and with M'Boom (he taught/teaches at Columbia I think).

OH... and for polyrythmic playful percussion, I'd suggest Emil Richards. There's a cd called World Percussion or Ritmico Mondo that's incredible, and a more difficult to find (not sure if it was ever legitimately sold on cd) electronic one called Stones that I love.

...which brings to mind Hal Blaine, who did an experimental percussion album called Psychedelic Percussion (in print). He worked with countless pop artists from the 60's. There's a more conventional rock cd called Drums!Drums!A Go-Go! that's excellent and in print.

Trina

Agent
Well I'll have to throw Tony Williams in the mix here. He played some sweet grooves with Miles Davis. A fine songwriter on his own accord too. I'd love to hear Spring released in SACD. One of my favorite jazz CD's.

T

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Matt:

I see you are into metal/hard rock as well.
Below is a link to a song from a band called EPHEL DUATH from Italy. They are releasing a record this Spring named "The Painter's Pallete"

The band is all in their 20's, and they have this 48 year old jazz drummer!!! I am not sure if this is your cup of tea, but the word of mouth on this band in metal circles is tremendous. They are an amazing metal/jazz band.

EPHEL DUATH - The Passage

James_S

Second Unit
I second Louie Bellson - one of my favorites.

One of his CD's that I warn out is :Louie Bellson's Magic 7: Air Bellson Released by Concord Records 1997

NP: Rod Stewart - Storyteller Disc 4

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate every ones replies. I have written down all your suggestions, and plan to visit the public library this week. I find the library has a good sized jazz collection that I have only recently begun to explore. I'm sure that more than one of these selections will be there for me to sample.

Thanks again.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
funny to see this thread. my friend just loaned me his cd titled Burning For Buddy: A Tribute To The Music Of Buddy Rich.

it's a bunch of famous drummers including neil peart (who also wrote the liner notes) doing covers of buddy rich tunes.

unfortunately, i'm no jazz/drummer expert but i can certainly say this is an entertaining album. i was listening to it at work with headphones and caught myself bopping my head and foot many times.

you may find it a worthwhile listen.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
I third Louie Bellson.

His playing on Sarah Vaughan's - How Long Has This Been Going On? is truly sublime and gorgeous. Especially check out the trackWhen Your Lover Has Gone , just him and Sarah jamming ever so quietly soulful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks