What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
TravisR said:
You have no idea how many puzzled looks I've gotten over the years when I try to say "Coofffeeee" like Lorraine Gary does in Jaws.
LOL!
Probably the same kind of look I get when I say "Oh, yes, I'm reticent." Like Hermoine Gingold in The Music Man.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
NY2LA said:
LOL!
Probably the same kind of look I get when I say "Oh, yes, I'm reticent." Like Hermoine Gingold in The Music Man.
And the kind of look I get when I say "Don't be ridic!" -- like Jane Wyman in The Lost Weekend.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
WillG said:
I'm with you on this. It is something I tend to "notice" every time I watch the film. But it doesn't detract against my enjoyment of the film at all and I wouldn't change anything about it. And since I am a recent first time father, her speech to Brody is a lot more heavy to me (although I'm always dismayed about how she solely blames Brody on the dock. Nothing pointed at Vaughn or anyone else. I get that she's in grief and she probably doesn't realize any better about the political maneuvering by Vaughn to keep Brody from sounding alarm. And, even so, nobody was absolutely certain that it was a shark that killed Chrissie at the time of Alex's death. Nitpick, I know, and I understand the character need for Mrs. Kintner to approach Brody like that)
I disagree. She knows that Sheriff Brody found the ghastly remains of a young woman on the beach and did nothing that mattered. That's the point. The behind the scenes just made it worse (in a way) and only needs to be known by the audience. This was not the result of incompetence but Brody playing 'good ole boy' lulled into complacency and ignoring that bell going off in his head. He knows the mayor is playing him and he knows the doctor is full of you-know-what and he doesn't do his job. A nightmare situation. The scene does show the audience that Brody is a man that made a tragic mistake. We feel for him and observe that because he does not try to offer Mrs. Kintner any excuses or passing of the blame that he takes his role in Alex Kintner's death completely to heart.
By the way, one of my favorite scenes is the extended scene of Brody at the dinner table that night. The scene with his son mimicking his actions was fantastic. Hooper simply broaching the whole subject without going into it by saying to Brody ... "So, how was your day?" was terrific writing. Hooper quickly helping himself to the dinner that a lamenting Brody didn't eat. I also like the 'business' of Brody working on wine bottle through the scene with Hooper. Everything from the uncorking, the large glass he pours for himself (like a beer) versus the tiny one he pours for his wife as well as him scratching at the wine label and such. What a great prop.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/90#post_3962667
By the way, one of my favorite scenes is the extended scene of Brody at the dinner table that night. The scene with his son mimicking his actions was fantastic. Hooper simply broaching the whole subject without going into it by saying to Brody ... "So, how was your day?" was terrific writing. Hooper quickly helping himself to the dinner that a lamenting Brody didn't eat. I also like the 'business' of Brody working on wine bottle through the scene with Hooper. Everything from the uncorking, the large glass he pours for himself (like a beer) versus the tiny one he pours for his wife as well as him scratching at the wine label and such. What a great prop.

Over the past several years I've grown to appreciate Jaws as a movie that depicts an aspect of Americana in a way that's almost better than any other. In so doing, it's a movie of details. The whole film is rich in this way.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
rich_d said:
one of my favorite scenes is the extended scene of Brody at the dinner table that night. The scene with his son mimicking his actions was fantastic. Hooper simply broaching the whole subject without going into it by saying to Brody ... "So, how was your day?" was terrific writing. Hooper quickly helping himself to the dinner that a lamenting Brody didn't eat. I also like the 'business' of Brody working on wine bottle through the scene with Hooper. Everything from the uncorking, the large glass he pours for himself (like a beer) versus the tiny one he pours for his wife as well as him scratching at the wine label and such. What a great prop.
I like that scene as well, and the outtake from it where Lorraine goes on about the baby (was it a sea otter?)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
rich_d said:
Watching this again last night I was reminded of the dinner table scene in Close Encounters. Spielberg has a knack of making these scenes seem entirely unstaged and absolutely true to life.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
NY2LA said:
I like that scene as well, and the outtake from it where Lorraine goes on about the baby (was it a sea otter?)
Baby seal perhaps? Only watched it once. Either way, I thought it was a deft edit as the scene is long enough as it is.
bryan4999 said:
Watching this again last night I was reminded of the dinner table scene in Close Encounters. Spielberg has a knack of making these scenes seem entirely unstaged and absolutely true to life.
Well said. It is an amazing skill/art.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Having preordered this from Amazon three months ago, listening to everyone talk about having theirs, while Amazon gives no indication that they will ship anytime soon, I am beginning to feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween.
The guy who did The Shark is Still Working has just said himself on the other thread it was a fan documentary, and while I have to concede that, I still think Uni presented it in windowbox to keep it as second fiddle to the other one. I see no other reason for windowboxing in this case.
back to fun stuff - Looking forward to hearing more details about Eric's outdoor screening coming up. Anyone else want to suggest Jaws appropriate snacks or favors? How about muffins with a bite out of them? Hot dog buns with no dog inside? Pot Roast chained to a pier? And what exactly is Quint munching when he scrapes his fingernails across the blackboard?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
NY2LA said:
Having preordered this from Amazon three months ago, listening to everyone talk about having theirs, while Amazon gives no indication that they will ship anytime soon, I am beginning to feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween.
That's odd. I pre-ordered months ago as well and mine arrived Tuesday. Amazon claims they are shipping the item as I type this. Two day shipping would get it to me by Friday. If you see your order status in limbo, perhaps just call customer service.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Let me tell you: I have been watching Jaws and all of the sequels since I was old enough to "sneak" watching HBO at my grandparents house (probably around five years old). Up til now, only one shot has really freaked me out for some reason: the shark coming at the screen at the end of Jaws 3 (yeah, I know).

But I jumped sky high when Ron Gardner's head popped out of the boat when I was watching Jaws tonight. Bright as day, all by myself, I knew what was coming...but I literally jumped out of my skin. There was even the tingly sensation for a good 30 seconds afterward.

THAT is what a movie is supposed to do no matter how many times you watch it.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
rich_d said:
That's odd. I pre-ordered months ago as well and mine arrived Tuesday. Amazon claims they are shipping the item as I type this. Two day shipping would get it to me by Friday. If you see your order status in limbo, perhaps just call customer service.
Already have, that's how I got the no definite date confirmed. I gang up orders to save on shipping, and usually that isn't much of a delay.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
NY2LA said:
What sort of Bite-Sized snackfoods or candy can you present in a bucket with a shovel/scoop?
Well, they do have candy that looks like rocks.
Gummy worms

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
JohnS said:
Gummy worms
I was thinking of it being a nod to the shoveling chum scene, but whatever suits your guest's taste is of course the best choice.
If only they still made banana boat ice cream dishes... and if the host hides a couple squirt guns to enhance the splash shots...
Eric if you take any pictures, it'd be nice to see how it all came off.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
NY2LA said:
I was thinking of it being a nod to the shoveling chum scene, but whatever suits your guest's taste is of course the best choice.
If only they still made banana boat ice cream dishes... and if the host hides a couple squirt guns to enhance the splash shots...
Eric if you take any pictures, it'd be nice to see how it all came off.
A couple options might be to get a plastic barrel of vanilla ice cream. Then coat the entire top surface with strawberry sauce. Then a ice cream scooper to serve out the chum. Other option would be to make some red jello in a barrel for the same effect ... 'cause there's always room for ... you know.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by JohnS /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/90#post_3962962
Gummy worms

I thought of gummy sharks last night before I went to bed. It sounds very appropriate.

shazzerman

Agent
Real Name
Noel
"And the kind of look I get when I say "Don't be ridic!" -- like Jane Wyman in The Lost Weekend."
Not Jane Wyman. It was the woman in the bar he frequents who says "Don't be ridic". I use it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks