What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962322
My mother was forty-two when she had me. So apparently there is a "frickin'" way for her to be his mother.

You got that right! Hell, my mother gave birth to five kids over an 19 year period, granted, my younger brother probably was an accident since his birth came a good 10 years after her last child.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by rich_d /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962331
Women don't have babies in their 30's where you live? 'Cause I'm wondering what part of "real life" you're talking about ...
Fantasy life ... that's Hollywood. Where Jimmy Stewart plays a high school grad at age 38.
Or said actor, playing a young law school graduate meeting up with Liberty Valence at the age of 54 in 1962. Furthermore, both he and Wayne another mid-50s actor romanizing Vera Miles a good 20 years younger than either of them.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Robert Crawford said:
Or said actor, playing a young law school graduate meeting up with Liberty Valence at the age of 54 in 1962.  Furthermore, both he and Wayne another mid-50s actor romanizing Vera Miles a good 20 years younger than either of them.
Excellent reference! Or Gary Cooper married to Grace Kelly in High Noon, 28 years younger.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/30#post_3962275
Seems like retailers in my area may have underestimated the demand for this title on Blu-ray. I went to Best Buy, Target, and Fry's this afternoon and all of them were completely sold out (Best Buy had a few of the standalone DVDs left). Has anyone else had trouble finding it?

BBY.com shows almost every store in my area has the non-digibook version.

Heading out right now to pick it up and then come home to watch. It's rare I watch a movie the day I get it. The last time that happened was...mmm...maybe Mama Mia?

My copy is on its way from Best Buy..I chose to have it shipped to my house...as long as I have it by next Friday. I am showing it at my outdoor theater (SkyDome Cinema.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Best Buy won't ship the digibook version. I'm not going to drive an hour and pick up a copy, either. So I guess I'll stick with my non-digibook copy from Amazon.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
It's really irrelevant to me how old Ms Fierro actually WAS when she shot the film, or if she was literally or technically capable of BEING a mother at the time. To me she LOOKED about sixty and much more likely a grandmother than a mother of a 9 year old. I've tried to make it clear that's nothing against her personally, except questionable casting or inadequate makeup. I felt that the first time I saw the movie and every time I see it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Best Buy did confirm shipping the Jaws digibook to my home. Should arrive tomorrow. Paid 24.99 for it, so I know it's not the single BD version.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
unless there is no store in your area, why are you having it shipped from Best Buy when you can easily drive to the nearest BB and have it in your hands right away, Eric?
I went to the nearest BB store here in Honolulu this morning and they had four more digibooks after I grabbed mine. For some reason, all the people out to buy new discs at the time I was there did not seem to be interested in the JAWS discs.
-Claude

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sam Posten said:
SWEET, everybody wins!
What's great about the iTunes code is that it allows you to download the Hi-Def version in addition to the sd version and some extras! :)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
bujaki said:
Best Buy did confirm shipping the Jaws digibook to my home. Should arrive tomorrow. Paid 24.99 for it, so I know it's not the single BD version.
As far as I know the disc content is identical in the Digibook and standard sets, it's just the nifty book one might be paying an extra seven dollars for. I'd prefer the digibook, but for now am going budget conscious and keeping an eye out for the DB to show up cheap and or used later on.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, I need to amend what I said. My local BBY didn't have any books or BD's. There were eight DVD's on the shelf. Associate told me they "sold out."

I went down the street to Target and got one. I'll price match tomorrow.

There was signage posted which said each store would have a max of 2 digibooks. Just FYI.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got the last Digibook in Bel Air MD, the sales droid didn't even bother trying to help me look for a Steelbook. Jerk.
Anyway, as much hype as this transfer is getting, it's BETTER than that. It is one of the most loving transfers of any movie I have ever seen. Me and a roomie watched it tonight, he was INSANE about how much detail there was.
The remixed sound is FANTASTIC. Loved it.
Rave reviews all around and I haven't even touched the bonus yet.
What's the deal with the digital copy tho, it says it only works if you bought it from certain retailers. That seems screwed up.
BUT it is valid until 2015. WAY TO GO UNI!!!!!!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jason_V /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962389
Okay, I need to amend what I said. My local BBY didn't have any books or BD's. There were eight DVD's on the shelf. Associate told me they "sold out."

I went down the street to Target and got one. I'll price match tomorrow.

There was signage posted which said each store would have a max of 2 digibooks. Just FYI.

Very poor planing on their part. I went to Best Buy at 2pm this afternoon and they had sold the one digibook they got. They had received four Blu-rays and eight DVDs. They still had the eight DVDs and two of the Blu-rays. One was actually hidden among THE LORAX Blu-rays. I looked at the hundred or so 21 JUMP STREET, THE LORAX, JOURNEY 2 THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, GET THE GRINGO, SILENT HOUSE and LOCKOUT and told myself they over bought the wrong titles. I did a little check and they still did not have CLUE or SINGING IN THE RAIN, but they could order them for me. I took my regular JAWS Blu-ray and picked up BATMAN (1966) Blu-ray for 5 bucks, paid and left. I don't need the digibook of JAWS and guess what, now I know that I don't need anything exclusive from Best Buy now.

And Best Buy keeps wondering why they are in trouble (shaking head with amazement).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam Posten said:
I got the last Digibook in Bel Air MD, the sales droid didn't even bother trying to help me look for a Steelbook. Jerk.
Anyway, as much hype as this transfer is getting, it's BETTER than that. It is one of the most loving transfers of any movie I have ever seen. Me and a roomie watched it tonight, he was INSANE about how much detail there was.
The remixed sound is FANTASTIC. Loved it.
Rave reviews all around and I haven't even touched the bonus yet.
What's the deal with the digital copy tho, it says it only works if you bought it from certain retailers. That seems screwed up.
BUT it is valid until 2015. WAY TO GO UNI!!!!!!
What steelbook?
Jason_V said:
Okay, I need to amend what I said.  My local BBY didn't have any books or BD's.  There were eight DVD's on the shelf.  Associate told me they "sold out."
I went down the street to Target and got one.  I'll price match tomorrow.
There was signage posted which said each store would have a max of 2 digibooks.  Just FYI.
The sign was a typo, there was minimum of two per store.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
No one is exaggerating on how good JAWS looks and how good the sound is. I kinda took me back to the PARK THEATRE in Memphis, TN, where they opened the film to massive sell outs and people waiting in lawn chairs to purchase tickets. A few friends and I had to sit about 10 rows from the front of the screen and saw way more then we wanted too. What a thrill and this transfer looks a good as it did on the screen so many years ago. I would say Long Live the PARK, but sadly that one screen independent theater is long gone, but what a film history it had.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/60#post_3962365
It's really irrelevant to me how old Ms Fierro actually WAS when she shot the film, or if she was literally or technically capable of BEING a mother at the time. To me she LOOKED about sixty and much more likely a grandmother than a mother of a 9 year old. Tried to make it clear that's nothing against her personally, except questionable casting or inadequate makeup. I felt that the first time I saw the movie and every time I see it.

I doubt that since only a few people seem to be bother by her appearance enough to make note of it.

Crawdaddy

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Crawford said:
I doubt that since only a few people seem to be bother by her appearance enough to make note of it.
Crawdaddy
Ithink this just show how subjective the movie experience is. Only one other poster agreed with my comment on her acting. It has never occurred to me that she was two old. Most feel her acting was good. I can't say that any of these impressions are invalid.
I do remember Belushi's funny parody of Dryfus. I don't think Dryfis was over the top. He's staring at mutilated body parts. And I found his reaction normal.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Crawford said:
Crawdaddy
You mean a few people here in this forum? Or just a few people you have heard of?
Doesn't mean there aren't plenty more out where the rest of the world is watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks