1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Jasper jig question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael__M, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Michael__M

Michael__M Well-Known Member

I just got my Jasper 200 in the mail and I am a bit puzzled. I thought I had it all down. If I want a 4.5" hole I put the pin in the hole with the 4 on the bottom and the .5 on the side and bam...got it. Now I see this writing on the top that says "Example...for a 9 15/16 circle, choose this pivot" and the darn arrow is pointing at the 8 15/16 pivot hole. What is the deal with that? Am I just totally missing something? It has been a long day, but I didn't think I was that far gone already.

Michael Moon

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Well-Known Member

Just chose the whole inch you want from the numbers on the bottom row, and the fraction of inch, from the numbers going up the side.

If you're still confused, make a test cut in some scrap material and measure it.

3. Ben L C

Ben L C Well-Known Member

I just got one to and their example is off by an inch. Quality Control.[​IMG]

Just put a mark at where the outside of the hole will be and see if the outside of the 1/4" bit hits it. If so you are good to go.

4. Michael__M

Michael__M Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. I just couldn't believe they would allow such an obvious error to be printed on the face of their product. I will double check it to make sure but man, time to get a new proofer for Jasper.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Well-Known Member

yeah i had a good laugh at that, good thing i checked twice before i cut [​IMG]

6. perry web

perry web Well-Known Member

ummm...I do not have one of the jigs or any other for that matter. Just made my own.
    But if you if you are using a 1/2 dia bit....i am just thinking out loud here but in their example wont the disk that gets cut out be 8 15/16 and the hole 9 15/16.
    maybe their example was for making a round disk not a thru hole?? just a thought. I may be wrong, It might be the opposite. can not tell w/o looking at it.

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Well-Known Member

no if you are using a 1/2 inch bit you will cut a hole 1/4 bigger then you wanted. And all the info on the jig is for 1/4 inch bits

8. perry web

perry web Well-Known Member

oh. like said never have used one. just was assuming 1/2 since that was what i used and the jig sticker was exactly 1" off.

other than a very minor qa problem these jigs are good? I might pick one up some day. my hard board w/ a screw worked but was pretty much a one time use jig.

9. TimForman

TimForman Well-Known Member

I've been using mine for over a year now. It's gotten me through a dozen or more builds. Works every time.

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Well-Known Member

Greg
    Perry, the hardboard + nail does work just as well (I scribble down the bit and cut diameter on the various nail holes for future use). The Jasper jig is accurate and saves some time (no measuring from bit->nail).