What's new

January 2008 Criterions (1 Viewer)

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
Another fantastic month from Criterion, in my opinion. Every single one of these titles is a must-buy for me.

It's especially great to see another Lindsay Anderson film finally being released on DVD, and this seems to be an especially packed release.

I'd been putting off buying the previously released Agnes Varda films, now I'm very glad I waited. I've only seen one of her films, the wonderful "The Gleaners and I", but I've been meaning to see more from her for a long time.

Also a must-buy (for me) is their new Eclipse set for January, "Postwar Kurosawa":
http://www.criterion.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=2000700

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Great to see 'This Sporting Life' is coming in what should be a much improved transfer compared with the previous Image release. This is quite a period for Lindsay Anderson films, following Criterion's release of 'If....' and the recently announced 'O Lucky Man!' from Warners. At last, this great director is getting his due on DVD!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well it would help if they just put the transfer info online like the good ol days... BUT NO!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Ice Storm is already on DVD, from Fox. Apparently not too much in the way of extras (I haven't seen the disc, just looking at some reviews), but it doesn't seem to me to be a likely candidate for a Criterion release. Though of course the clue makes sense, and I can't think of anything else that would...there's the key thing for the party which fits the plot, and the bit about bundling up which fits the title, so maybe that's it.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
THE APARTMENT would work with that clue but that would be too good to be true. Most likely THE ICE STORM ; perhaps ushering in FOX Criterions?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My guess is The Ice Storm, which would be terrific since I still think that's Ang Lee's best film.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Naked Prey is also listed as non-anamorphic on the Criterion site. I'm assuming it's a typo; they haven't released any widescreen non-anamorphic discs in years.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Guys, Criterion's website often says non-anamorphic when the titles first go up. I swear we go through this every month. Stop with your "NO SALE!" nonsense. Do you really think Criterion would release a non-anamorphic widescreen title at this point?

I think the clue HAS to be The Ice Storm. I'd prefer Eat Drink Man Woman, but oh well.

Only the Kurosawa box is a must-buy for me. The Sporting Life is an excellent film (better than If... IMHO) but I don't need to own it. Very much looking forward to finally seeing Miss Julie.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I also thought of THE ICE STORM when I first saw it. But I have to question if it is worth a Criterion release. I liked it, more than most did. But, it wasn't all that popular a film, and the regular edition (which had a nice transfer if I remember) can be found in Wal Mart's $5 bins. What extras could they add to make it worth 6 - 8 times what it is going for today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks