What's new

James Gandolfini RIP (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just.. what a stunner. Absolutely stunned by this news. His last few films were absolutely fantastic stuff.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/r-i-p-james-gandolfini/
EXCLUSIVE: I’ve learned that actor James Gandolfini died suddenly in Italy after a suspected heart attack. He was 51. Gandolfini will be forever known for his portrayal of mob boss Tony Soprano on the seminal HBO series The Sopranos, which won him three Emmy Awards. Chris Albrecht who greenlighted the crime family saga at HBO and gave Gandolfini his start, just emailed Deadline’s Nikki Finke: “Absolutely stunned. I got the word from Lorraine Bracco and just got off with Brad Grey who had just heard from David Chase. We had all become a family. This is a tremendous loss.” Grey was the executive producer and Chase the creator of The Sopranos. Overweight, balding, with a thick New York accent, Gandolfini was the opposite of a marquee leading man and yet he proved through his masterful acting that he could make Tony Soprano sexy and smart. Gandolfini remained in business with HBO starring in film Cinema Verite and executive producing Hemingway & Gellhorn. He was set to topline a new limited series for HBO, Criminal Justice, one of several projects he had in the works. Gandolfini was most recently seen in the features The Incredible Burt Wonderstone and Zero Dark Thirty.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, that's depressing. The man leaves behind a character and show that will live forever.

Not many people saw it but I thought he was really great in last year's Not Fade Away (directed by David Chase).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I juts watched Get Shorty last week. He was really goodin that.This removes any questions on a possible Sopranos movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
TravisR said:
Not many people saw it but I thought he was really great in last year's Not Fade Away (directed by David Chase).
Agreed. He was terrific in Not Fade Away.

Very very sad; he was an enormous talent.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Shocked to read this. I've seen quite a few of the movies he had been doing and it seems like he had gained a lot of weight. I remember watching KILLING THEM SOFTLY and being rather concerned because it seemed like he was really gasping for air when doing a scene where he's shouting. It just didn't seem like "acting."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In addition to some of the films mentioned by others, I really enjoyed him in The Mexican and 8MM.

Really shocked and saddened by this.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
among the many great mentions in this of his films also include Where the Wild Things Are, with just his voice, he brought a passion and compassion to his "creature" .Prayers for his family, RIP

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
He was in several films (Get Shorty indeed) where I liked his performance. Of course The Sopranos and I happened to see him in New York in The God of Carnage on stage. A very subtly played strong role, which we liked very much.

This is really too bad news - he was too young - and for us, this world, we're robbed from further fine performances.

Thanks mr. Gandolfini, for what you managed to give us and may you rest in peace.

Cees

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
TonyD said:
This removes any questions on a possible Sopranos movie

That depends on how you interpret the cut to black in the last episode of the TV series.

RIP. He was far too young.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
TonyD said:
I juts watched Get Shorty last week. He was really goodin that.This removes any questions on a possible Sopranos movie.
I figured it made it much more likely, set after his death with who takes over.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Quentin said:
Dang. I'm gonna watch True Romance this weekend.
I never watched The Sopranos, but I do remember him in that movie, especially that scene with the fire hairspray.

Rest In Peace, James Gandolfini.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks