1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

James Earl Jones THE MAN (Paramount 1972) on DVD ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Another forgotten milestone from the early 1970s:
    [​IMG]

I remember my homeroom teacher telling the class that this film about the first African-American president "is pure science fiction." It no doubt seemed that way to many people in 1972, but my father, a history teacher, made a point of taking us to see it, as he did The Great White Hope a couple of years before. Rod Serling, the brilliant creator of The Twilight Zone, adapted a novel by Irving Wallace into an intelligent and dignified film about racial progress, bigotry, and statesmanship. The film also boasts one of James Earl Jones' very best performances. He is a powerful screen presence, and like the character he plays, his integrity is unassailable. I'd have voted for him right then and there if the story were real and I were old enough.

Synopsis from imdb: When the President and Speaker of the House are killed in a building collapse, and the Vice-President declines the office due to age and ill-health, Senate President pro tempore Douglas Dilman (James Earl Jones) suddenly becomes the first black man to occupy the Oval Office. The events from that day to the next election when he must decide if he will actually run challenge his skills as a politician and leader.

In view of current events, I think the world would be interested in THE MAN if it were revived. Although my memory of the film is vague, it seems to me as if the buttons it pushes and the issues it addresses are manifest on the campaign trail right now. What are the chances of persuading ABC and Paramount to re-release THE MAN on DVD?

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount.

Thanks.

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Again, would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount.

Thanks.

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Would the Moderator kindly correct my typo in the heading? Paraoumt should be Paramount.

Thanks.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Well-Known Member

Correct the guy's typo, already! [​IMG]

I'd love to finally see The Man. JEJ is a great actor in this was one of his finest performances, apparently.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Well-Known Member

When I started reading the thread title I thought this was gonna be another one of those "has died" threads. Thankfully it was not! JEJ is a great actor, I really love his work.

7. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    My question would be who holds the rights to this, as it looks like a tangled mess. It appears that Paramount was the distributor, but anything ABC Circle would be controlled by Disney now, and Lorimar's holdings are now controlled by Warner. This is rights hell.

8. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. There would only be a rights problem if those entities were equity partners in the film, which they likely were not.
    In the early '70's, Lorimar was likely just the two men who founded it and not a full-on production studio as they became when they produced "THE WALTONS," so WB probably doesn't have any piece of the movie.
    ABC Circle was the TV movie arm of the network, and by 1972, ABC in general was about to shift their theatrical arm to Edgar Scherick's Palomar Pictures. As such, when they did get involved in movies like CABARET, it was more for the guaranteed TV broadcast rights than any sort of ownership control. THE MAN was probably intended as a TV movie, but momentum prodded all the parties to take it theatrical, and Paramount likely bought all rights in exchange for beefing up the budget.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I never heard of this film. Sounds interesting, Rod Serling was the man. Get it? [​IMG]

11. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Richard, if you had quietly PM'd a mod I'm sure they would have corrected the typo on the day. [​IMG]

The Man eh? Never heard of it, but I do like James Earl Jones, and Rod Serling.

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Martin Balsam and Burgess "Go get 'em ROCK!" Merideth are always good too...

Why ISN'T this one DVD?
    I see no problem with that typo... [​IMG]

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

Is Paraoumt a French company?

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

I have never heard about this one either.

I would buy this in a heartbeat.