What's new

James Bond Ultimate Editions - Problems already brewing? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sony appears to have less of a hand in MGM's operations than we originally thought. They only own 20% or so of the company. (If they were in charge, then they probably wouldn't have fired themselves and hired Fox to take over distribution!)

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
my concern about the Region 1 discs is that they will get rid of the DTS soundtracks for a French language track because of Quebec.

Most of the DVD's in R2 have either single or dual audio commentary tracks, along with a DD5.1 and DTS track. Between that and the extras on disc 1...I wonder if they can add a French language track without comprising picture quality and keep the DTS track.

Ian

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Just from seeing the old Goldfinger SE, it's grainy, but it also has a lot of digital noise. It's another case of excessive noise faking sharpness... also note the edge enhancement on the old edition. The DVDTimes examples really point to at least Goldfinger looking much better. It doesn't help that we're only looking at still frames instead of actual moving images.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You know, although I can see the point made about the greater detail in the ultimate editions, I do like the "toasty" look to the Technicolor in the earlier transfers. I saw these in the theater at the time, and that's how the skin tones looked - very tanned.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's not as bad as Goldfinger (or the two previous Bond films which seem to have identical mediocrity), but it's still soft and quite dirty. The credit sequence has several instances of glop on the print like acetate decomposition.

Real Name
Matthew Burdette
Sony, MGM, Fox, fix the problems plaqing the James Bond Ultimate Editions by the time it comes out in november

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks