What's new

James Bond Blu-ray Collection Three-Pack, Vol. 4?? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paul_Scott said:
Tim, I can't thank you enough for posting that link! For the last 32 years I've been thinking about that trailer. I only saw it once (prior to a showing of Superman late in it's original run), but could never forget the image of the girl (Clearys character) being chased by the hounds. What I was less clear on was the memory of it somehow being like a TV commercial for something entirely different too- but I couldn't reconcile how that could have been possible. It's been extremely frustrating that the teaser hasn't shown up on any of the numerous releases over the years. I thought for sure the ultimate edition would finally include it- but nope. Great to finally see it again and be able to put all the pieces back together. BTW, it was only a few months back when I finally got around to watching the BDs of Moonraker and FYEO. Moonraker was ravishing, this may be one of the most disliked entries of the series, but it's a nostalgic favorite of mine and I'm very happy that it was afforded a 4K transfer. The results were sublime and it really contributed to making this last viewing one of the most enjoyable since seeing it back in it's original release. All the more surprising since the last time I watched it, which was probably back in '06, it had lost a lot of its charm and made for a very dispiriting affair. Ironically it was FYEO this time that didn't work for me as much as I expected it to. Still a good film, but having become aware of how the story was altered close to filming I got fixated on that and couldn't help but imagine how much more character the final work would have had if they had only followed through. The dialogue that Lynn Holly Johnsons character spouts would have seemed much less insipid if it had been a 14 or 15 year cast in the role, which I believe was originally the intent (and consequently to paint Glovers villain as more of a pervert by implication). It may be ultimately a minor character, but every time she's onscreen, she strikes a false note for me which takes me out of it.
No problem Paul! I also really wish the Moonraker teaser would've been on the blu ray at the very least. From what I've heard about some of the extras, when the UE DVD's were being put together there was only so far they could go with trailers, radio spots and tv spots due to the budget for the extras. There was an extras idea put out to the studio to release a separate disc of trailers, radio spots and tv spots, however it was never acted on by the studio. There was a lot of moving around with the Bond films after the UE DVD's were issued as well. Recall Sony had video rights for a short while before Fox got involved in late 2006 I believe. I actually imported some of the UE DVD titles as they were out in the UK before US in 2006. I remember that the imported UE DVD's had Sony logos on the packaging and Sony logos played on the DVD before the film too. Anyway. I'm really curious to see what Fox and MGM do next year (2012) for the James Bond films on blu ray. Thanks for posting the info about seeing the trailer too. Pretty cool. Glad you finally were able to see it many years later! I agree with you 100% on the 4K transfer of Moonraker. The film looks amazing. I have been very impressed with the Bond films on blu ray. Especially the 1962 - 1989 run of the films. I am curious why only a few of the Moore films were done at 4K. I would've thought all films should've been scanned at 4K. I believe Dr.No - Live and Let Die are 4K and Moonraker. The Man With The Golden Gun has a very good transfer, IMO. I really want the last 9 films to come out on blu ray very soon. I still watch the UE DVD's of the 9 that haven't been reissued, but I keep thinking how they will look so much better on blu ray. I've seen a few of the unreleased 9 Bond blu ray films on HD cable broadcasts and they are breathtaking. Especially Spy and You Only Live Twice. I think I saw a bit of Goldeneye as well. 2012 cannot come soon enough!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like MGM is putting the Bond blu ray and dvd's on moratorium soon. http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9725&t=mi6&s=news

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

Looks like MGM is putting the Bond blu ray and dvd's on moratorium soon.
http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9725&t=mi6&s=news

I guess this is the first step to a complete BD collection next year!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Will*B said:
I guess this is the first step to a complete BD collection next year!
I wonder how Fox and MGM will handle the releases next year. They could go a lot of ways with them. If they add new features to the previously released ones, I'll end up buying them again most likely. I'm sure they will use new covers and probably a few new types of sets too. Who knows though.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine what new features they can add to the existing packages. Maybe new PIP functions or alternate soundtracks if such things exist. Short of having Sean Connery do commentaries for his Bond films, or getting Dalton and Brosnan to do commentaries for theirs, I'm very happy with the bonuses we can already find on the UE's/Blus.

I'll be happy to pick up the Blus of Spy Who Loved Me, Diamonds Are Forever and Living Daylights, in whatever package they are offered. And there's still that unreleased CE of Quantum of Solace.

We'll see in another few months when they make the announcement.

I have a feeling they'll be making an announcement about the Rocky movies too...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Kevin EK said:
I can't imagine what new features they can add to the existing packages. Maybe new PIP functions or alternate soundtracks if such things exist. Short of having Sean Connery do commentaries for his Bond films, or getting Dalton and Brosnan to do commentaries for theirs, I'm very happy with the bonuses we can already find on the UE's/Blus.

I'll be happy to pick up the Blus of Spy Who Loved Me, Diamonds Are Forever and Living Daylights, in whatever package they are offered. And there's still that unreleased CE of Quantum of Solace.

We'll see in another few months when they make the announcement.

I have a feeling they'll be making an announcement about the Rocky movies too...
I know that there are many more radio spots, Tv ads and film trailers that were not included on many of the previous UE DVD's and blu rays. I posted the teaser trailer earlier in this thread for Moonraker. In fact there is only one trailer on Moonraker. I'd love to have them fill those out more on the discs. I'm sure there are other extras they could dig up too. It would be interesting to see if they add new documentaries to try and freshen them up a bit too. I haven't heard if John Cork's team has been finishing the extras in HD for the 9 unreleased Bond blu rays either. Hopefully this is done. I'll be really interested to see what MGM and Fox do and how they handle the reissues and the other 9 Bond titles that are unreleased on blu ray.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I absolutely love that John Cork went back and upgraded all the Inside... documentaries. They set the standard for DVD extras back in '99/'00, and remain, in my opinion, the best DVD extras ever created. They're the most incredibly thorough, informative, well-made and most importantly, entertaining DVD-extra-based documentaries I've ever seen. Upgrading them to HD was a masterstroke, and proves the love and respect John Cork and MGM have for the franchise.

I can't wait for the remaining Bonds to be released on BD. New extras or otherwise, they are my most eagerly-awaited home entertainment release of all-time. Bring on 2012!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Waiting another year for these is rough. I somehow doubt the remaining 9 films will match the others when they come to BD. I suspect these will be double discs, new menus, etc. Essentially, I think those of us who bought the BD films in '08 are being abandoned and they're starting over with these.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well Sam, I have to agree a year is a long time to wait! In regards to your second comment, I was thinking recently that the 2008 blu ray release will be abandoned. It's history repeating. When the first stand alone releases of Dr. No, Goldfinger, From Russia, and The Spy Who Loved Me were released in 97 or so, they were abandoned when the 1999/2000 DVD box sets superseded earlier releases.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I lost count the number of times I've purchased the Bond films since the first DVDs came out but I won't hesitate to revisit them if they do a briefcase-type box set containing all the films similar to the recent UK release. What I WON'T do is buy these again in individual "volumes" - it's just too costly. (plus I already have most of the films on Blu - the ones I'm interested in, anyway). I don't envision the studio doing fancy single releases for each film even though I strongly believe that's the way to go.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
I could see them possibly adding more trailers and I could seem them releasing a Blu-ray book edition of Dr. No but I can't really see any new bonus features that would make me repurchase the Bond titles I already own. I just want to see the rest of the Bond films to get a BD release.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I really hope that all of the UE transfer issues are fixed for these new releases. The fact that problem titles like Goldeneye, OHMSS, and TSWLM were never released in the original waves and that the image of Live and Let Die was fixed to its original grain structure gives me hope. Maybe the color issues will be fixed as well. and I'd like to see all the original audio mixes present. It's really annoying to have to switch to a DTS 5.1 remix from mono when going through the series.
Tim Haxton said:
I agree with you 100% on the 4K transfer of Moonraker. The film looks amazing. I have been very impressed with the Bond films on blu ray. Especially the 1962 - 1989 run of the films. I am curious why only a few of the Moore films were done at 4K. I would've thought all films should've been scanned at 4K. I believe Dr.No - Live and Let Die are 4K and Moonraker.
So some films weren't done at 4K? I thought they all had since Lowry and MGM went to great lengths to promote their full o-neg restorations of all 20 films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Spencer Draper said:
I really hope that all of the UE transfer issues are fixed for these new releases. The fact that problem titles like Goldeneye, OHMSS, and TSWLM were never released in the original waves and that the image of Live and Let Die was fixed to its original grain structure gives me hope. Maybe the color issues will be fixed as well. and I'd like to see all the original audio mixes present. It's really annoying to have to switch to a DTS 5.1 remix from mono when going through the series. So some films weren't done at 4K? I thought they all had since Lowry and MGM went to great lengths to promote their full o-neg restorations of all 20 films.
Dr. No - Live and Let Die and Moonraker are all 4K. (Watching Moonraker as I type this)... : ) The rest of the Bond films were done at 2K by Lowry. I'd love to read more about why this was done. You can check each of the films at the end of the film credits. After the film credits, the Lowry restoration credits will display for a moment. Some of the Lowry Restoration credits show 4K restoration and others do not. I'm looking forward to next October and hopefully all of the Bond films finally on blu ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Awesome news to finally have Skyfall in the works! I'm starting to wonder if we will see pretty decent overhauls of the current issued Bond blu ray's. At this point the master work and video encodes are from 2004 - 2005? Could see a fresh new pass at them and also some extras upgrades? For sure I'm guessing there will be all new packaging as well. This based on the fact that the Bond films are going on moratorium in January.. Stay tuned!! Looking forward to the news and what may be coming!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I had the thought the other evening that surely the titles will have the "resume playback" feature. The more I think about it, I'm guessing I'll be buying everything again on blu ray, plus the unreleased 9.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tim Haxton said:
The more I think about it, I'm guessing I'll be buying everything again on blu ray, plus the unreleased 9.
I had no doubt about it, I knew I would be rebuying! :) I figured totally new packaging would be done necessitating new art and boxes for the currently released films.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
I had no doubt about it, I knew I would be rebuying! :) I figured totally new packaging would be done necessitating new art and boxes for the currently released films.
I'm guessing there will be enough changes with the discs too. Resume Playback would be a huge addition for me. I've seen most of the titles are pretty cheap right now. $9-12 on Amazon.. Looking forward to seeing them all updated on blu ray in 2012. Along with Skyfall of course!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting to see what is really being offered, other than new packaging.

I'm very happy with the existing Blu-rays I have, and I'd be happy to add the remaining 2-3 titles I've waited for without repurchasing anything.

But I have an open mind here - maybe there's something I haven't heard about before.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Looks like we may have some news at CES in January?? http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9890&t=mi6&s=news Pretty cool 50th 007 anniversary / blu ray poster!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks