What's new

Jackass Number Two may be the funniest movie I've ever seen! (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I know that a lot of the movie historians and high-brow film buffs on this site will probably curse my very existence for saying this, but Jackass Number Two is an absolute genius piece of filmmaking. I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater so I was highly anticipating the DVD release and after watching it tonight I can honestly say I don't know if I've ever laughed harder at a movie(especially at home where there's not a crowd to make the laughter infectous). Obviously this type of humor isn't for everyone, but if you liked the TV show and the first film this one is going to absolutely blow you away. It takes everything they've ever done in the past and amps it up by about 1000 percent. I am still completely baffled how they managed to get through filming this one without someone actually dying, especially Johnny Knoxville. When you see the things he does in this movie you will be absolutely amazed that he is still alive. For a guy who makes millions of dollars doing "regular" films it's hard to believe that he's willing to do some of the most dangerous stunts ever put on film, but apparently the guy is fearless(or possibly just insane). All I know is that the movie is insanely funny and I give it a very big :emoji_thumbsup:.

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
Can't say I agree.

JACKASS THE MOVIE (along with BOARAT and Richard Pryor's first concert film) is the funniest movie ever made. NUMBER TWO is, sadly, a very disappointing film. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I think the guys were trying way too hard. The first film was fresh and unbelievable and that is obviously missing from NUMBER TWO.

However, I do agree with you that watching the DVD at home it is crazy how you still laugh hysterically out loud even though the infectious laughter of a full theater is not present.

I haven't hit the extras on the DVD yet, I know there will be laughs there, but overall NUMBER TWO, like most follow-uos, falls way short of the original classic

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it is the funniest movie I've ever seen, but I will go so far as to say it is the funniest film of the year.

I laughed A LOT in the theatre, and I was never a fan of the TV show. Great stuff in there.

I will say it is funnier than BORAT, which I wanted to love, and liked a lot, but that wasn't as funny as the ALI G show. I laughed more, and harder, in JACKASS 2 than in BORAT. And, a lot of the jokes in BORAT had been done in JACKASS 2 (the overweight naked people, walking naked through a hotel etc).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that because I felt exactly the opposite about the first film vs. the sequel. I've watched the first one several times and while I always enjoyed the movie I just felt that there was a lot of "hit and miss" to it. In fact, some of the stuff that made the flick was pretty lame and could've just as easily been on the TV show(apparently Knoxville felt the same way as he said there was a lot of material he wasn't happy with in the movie). However, I thought all the stuff in Number Two was top-notch material. They really upped the ante this time around and in my opinion knocked it out of the park in almost every skit. I'm just hoping they do one more to complete the "trilogy". :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie 1. because it's funny and 2. becuase it pisses off snobs.
God, I hope not because some of the stuff they did in this movie was insanely dangerous. I'd be too scared to see what they'd have to do to top themselves. :)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed there's still some deleted stuff they said was gonna be on the DVD that is NOT on the DVD. Primarily, the tooth pulling of Don Vito, although I assume that's not on the DVD because they're still waiting to see how that Child assault case of his comes out. But there's stuff they talk about on this disc during the commentary that never shows up on the deleted scenes, even though there's a good what, 60 minutes of deleted stuff?

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
I laughed my head off when I read that line of yours. I'm sure you can see the hilarity in calling anything in a Jackass movie "top-notch material." It is funny how we are trying to intelligently evaluate a Jackasss movie when basically all it is is a bunch of boneheads having some stupid, naked fun.

First film has that rent a car skit. Still the best thing Mr. Knoxville has ever done. It's his Mona Lisa, his Sergeant Peppers.

I'm for a trilogy, too. If the third is even half as good as the first two, the Jackass trilogy in toto will be a better trilogy than Coppola's Godfather trilogy.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'll give you this little anecdote:

Tremaine, when I was down there for a press junket, told me there was a skit he REALLY, REALLY wants to do, and couldn't fit into Jackass Number Two because legal wouldn't clear it, and they didn't have time to wrangle. It involved plastic SURGERY.

There's an idea of what heights these flicks would have to go to in order to justify a Jackass Three for Tremaine and the boys.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I just happened to catch a Making the Movie special about Jackass 2 the other night on MTV2 and Johnny Knoxville said he didn't want to stop shooting even when the film had wrapped. In fact, Tremaine said the only way he could get Knoxville to stop was to agree to let him shoot for a couple weeks in November(even though the film was going to be released theatrically in September). I wonder if they did end up shooting stuff in November and whether that would appear on a future special edition of Number Two or if it could be considered early footage for Jackass 3.

Monty B

Agent
In my opinion this was the funniest movie of 2006. Although I loved the first one I feel Number Two packs more laughs in its all too short running time.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I rented this with a totally open mind. I was completely prepared to laugh my ass off. To me, the movie was horrifying and rarely funny. I can hardly believe that real living human beings would perform these stunts, all for the sake of a laugh. Someone having his buttock branded (for life) or drinking horse semen just to appeal to the lowest common demoninator of viewers (i.e. rednecks) is to me borderline insane. I probably come across as a prude, but really I am quite tolerant of crude humor - just not crude humor that costs the people involved their body parts or dignity. I am ashamed that our culture has been reduced to this level for the sake of "entertainment."

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That's pretty funny coming from someone with "Dick" as a user name. Good to see that you have an open mind, though.

Signed,
Your friendly neighborhood redneck :rolleyes

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that was incredibly funny. Did you think of it yourself?

Movies like this will flourish as long as there are 14 year olds (maturity wise) who can sneak in to to see them or rent them.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Comments in this thread are becoming personal. Perhaps the current participants should take a breather.

M.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
While some folks are pausing to reflect, I'll throw in my mixed bag comments...

The good: The Bungee Jump stunt made me laugh out loud. Especially as you could see Wee Man getting pulled back down after the big guy he was anchored to passed him. These are the kind of areas where the Jackass crew excel...Coming up with original stunts that make your jaw drop or simply even show some nifty physics principles being put to the test. The rocket segments were also fun.

The bad: Kind of outweighed the good for me...The bodily functions segments were just a bit out of my entertainment zone. Steve-O piercing his cheek with the fishhook? Oh man, I had to look away...And the Spike Jones segment as the old woman just totally didn't work for me.

I have no problem with juvenile behaviour when no one else gets hurt or if they are all at least in on the concept. If they can get payed for it, bully for them. I've never quite understood the "guys like to laugh at their friends getting hurt or embarrassed" behaviour, but when the whole group is running with that concept, it can be fun. The boxing glove coming out of the door and Knoxville's air bag at his front door were examples of this.

But the gross out factor just didn't do much for me. Watching the eating of the horse poop was...I don't know. Perhaps those parts of the movie would've worked better with an audience to share the "grossness" of it.

I must admit, I think I broke my record for the number of times I thought (in a 90 minute span) "I can't believe someone is doing this".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks