What's new

Jack Warden has died at age 85 (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Since I remember Mr. Peepers, on which Jack played the coach, I can honestly say I've been enjoying him for over half a century.
Most of all for Heaven Can Wait, Used Cars and The Verdict.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I loved him in Heaven Can Wait. Loved him. He was also the owner in The Replacements. Small role but still effective. RIP Mr. Warden. :frowning:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Another actor from the mini-series Alice in Wonderland...two in one week's time. :frowning: The dvd will be released in less than two weeks.

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator
He was great in All the President's Men, "Remember when you were hungry?"

I also remember his cameo at the beginning of "The Great Muppet Caper" :)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
...and I just saw Jack in Used Cars 3 days ago, too. :frowning:

As a kid I grew up with him as Big Ben in the Problem Child Trilogy, and grew to see his amazing range in movies like 12 Angry Men and ...and Justice for All.

He was great and will be incredibly missed and appreciated.

From Wikipedia.org:

"Jack Warden (September 18, 1920 – July 19, 2006) was an American actor.

Born John Lebzelter in Newark, New Jersey, and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, his early jobs included lifeguard and nightclub bouncer. He also fought as a professional boxer under the name Johnny Costello. He served in the 101st Airborne Division during World War II.

Warden decided to pursue an acting career after leaving the military, and moved to New York City. He joined the company of the Dallas Alley Theater and performed on stage for five years. He made his television debut in 1948 in The Philco Television Playhouse and Studio One. He had an uncredited film debut in 1951 in You're in the Navy Now, a movie which also featured the debuts of Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson.

Warden had his first credited film role in The Man with My Face in 1951. In 1952, he began a three year role in the television series Mr. Peepers. Warden's breakthrough role was his appearance in 12 Angry Men in 1957.

Warden appeared in over one hundred movies during a career which lasted six decades. He received an Emmy Award for his performance as George Halas in Brian's Song (1971), and was nominated for Academy Awards as Best Supporting Actor for his performances in Shampoo (1975) and Heaven Can Wait (1978). He also appeared in Problem Child (1990) and its sequel (1991).

Warden, who lived in Manhattan, died of heart and kidney failure and other medical problems on July 19, 2006 at a hospital in New York. He was 85."

ry

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
R.I.P. Jack

I will always remember you as Pops on one of my favorite all time comedies, Dirty Work.

R.I.P.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The moment I saw this thread's title, I saw Jack Warden's face in my mind. Happens only with the greatest of actors. Some of the others you have to look up.
I remembered him best from Heaven Can Wait and Twelve Angry Men.

RIP, Jack Warden!
Thanks!

Cees

Joe S

Second Unit
Sad news... I remember him mainly from "Crazy Like A Fox". I've been trying to think of the name of one of the movies (must have been a comedy) where, at the end, he's drunk and and riding in a gondola in Venice and asks "How long have your streets been F*ed up like this?".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have three movies that asre my top faverites of my all time list
this is one of them.

jack warden's performance is heartbreaking in HCW.

near the end when. spoiler..
he finally believes that farnsworth really is pendleton but too late because he becomes farnsworth and is pendleton no more just kills me.
it kills me as he just sits down and realizes joe is gone for good.

very well said from a web site i just found.
"Jack Warden is delightful as Beatty's football coach, Max Corkle. My favorite scene is where Beatty, in the rich guy's body, tries to convince Warden that he's really the dead Rams' quarterback. Warden's range of responses from total denial, to anger, to gradually dawning belief, is a delight to behold. "

http://www.homevideos.com/revnclas/32b.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks