Jack & Bobby ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Chris,

Here's how the info was revealed:

In about the last 10 minutes of the pilot episode Courtney's interview makes it clear which of the brothers becomes president. She describes how she became reacquainted with Bobby after Jack's death by volunteering for Bobby's senate campaign. Plus, it is explained that the "defining moment" photograph featured at the beginning of the show did not depict anything more dramatic than a man, who suffered from asthma as a child, catching his breath.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was funny when the chief campaign advisor (David Paymer's character) was recounting the day before the big debate, and how he was inundating Bobby with all sorts of facts and figures, and he said something about it being an overwhelming amount of data, but then again, he added, Bobby was used to being lectured (by his mother). Heh.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Jack & Bobby" becomes the first new show of the season on any network to get a full-season order. Despite the disappointing ratings, the network is pleased with the quality of the show and those that are watching are apparently high-income and appealing to advertisers (according to story at Zap2It).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked this episode for its smaller stories, like Jack being smart enough to figure out Marcus's sacrifice for him (flunking tests to get placed on academic probabtion) to get him back on the track team, and then for Jack to take matters in his own hands to make life easier for Marcus's family, that shows good character. Now he also had his dinner with Missy's family and having Missy's father trying to procure an oath for Missy's chastity was a bit creepy, but funny.

Bobby's search for an understanding of religion given the paucity of any interaction with any organized religion due to his humanistic secular upbringing by his mother comes to a head when his friend asks him to get him through the studies to get through his bar mitzvah. Bobby shows some backbone and his mother decides to use this opportunity to expose Bobby to all religions so he can make a more informed choice should he want to go down that road. Bobby's leaning towards Catholicism because his father was Catholic, though Grace paints a less-then-stellar picture of his church attendance record in the time she knew him before he went out for milk and never came back.

It's revealed that Bobby does become a reverend, the second with such a background to become President. Marcus goes on with stories of Bobby leading a non-denominational service on Sundays in a chapel he had made in the basement of the White House, and it was a good time with sermons from Bobby each Sunday.

Grace has to contend with a walkout staged by a campus christian organization after Grace belittled a muslim female student's support of her faith in pointing out that Grace's bias might influence how she taught on the subject of religion. Grace also gets a new TA who is later revealed to be the son of a heavy contributor to the university, so she has to be convinced why he should stay on, and she decided to let him stay on as her TA while having to eat some crow for her views on being closed mind on her issues with her bias towards religion.

Also, I liked how they tell us that Bobby was a "believer" in previous episodes, and that we know he does have a strong views on faith due to being a reverend, and obviously being interested in these issues while also becoming interested in affecting change via the political process makes him a candidate that took on organized religion on his journey to the White House.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The interview structure is still working for me and I really enjoyed the most recent ep. Good to see Bradley Cooper (aka Will Tippin) back on TV.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Grace got served by the Christians tonight. They're beginning to use the interviews (FROM THE FUTURE!!) sparingly and it's to their benefit. I think the balance tonight was the way is should be. One future politician discussing one particular aspect of Bobby and 2004 showing that particular aspect developing. It seems to me that the writers are trying their hardest to make Grace the most intolerant, superliberal, hypocritical, hateable pothead they can. For some reason though, I really like her *dodges flaming arrows*

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I dunno how many revelations they can have about Bobby. So far, he's the ex-Repuplican (surprise!) ex-reverend (surprise!) whose brother died, who ended up marrying that brother's girlfriend (surprise! surprise!).

Grace is always hyper-rigid at the beginning of each episode. It's like she forgets the lesson she learned last week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/10/04

So Courtney's medical condition is revealed as the future story is told from a reporter looking to dig up anything on the upstart indy presidential candidate.

Bobby's first experience with a bully turns into some strange sniffing around experience with the opposite sex.

Grace is off her rocker, bringing in a homeless war veteran after his "housing" gets knocked over for a sports center to be built on the same site. I did like how the homeless guy gave Bobby his future moniker as "The Great Believer" by a page of his poetry in return for the TV he stole from the McAlisters.

Jack's juggling of the 2 girls is just going to turn out badly.

Hey, both of the brothers got to 1st base this episode.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Another good episode. I really like all the characters on this show for various reasons, with the possible exception of Missy.

Jack is going to have more trouble on his hands than he can possibly handle if he keeps the juggling act going for to long.

Nice save by Grace at the party. She got some points all around for that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/17/04

Bobby's VP leaves in 2046, so you have to wonder if the last thing the future bald dude (Evan Handler) was referring to some scandal that made the VP resign in the middle of their 2nd term.

I liked the 3 main subplots, one being finite (Grace having to find out the hard way about a fellow colleague with a penchant for harassing female students, while creating a taller wall between her and Peter), one being a turning point (Bobby taking Jack's admonitions to heart, to be who he wants to be, and not be the guy who takes the easy way out), and one being a ongoing scenario (Jack's worst nightmare of having Missy and Courtney become friends comes to fruition).

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, out of all the television I watch each week, this show may not be my favorite, but it's easily the only one that's consistently great. Easily in 2nd or 3rd place this season on my list of stuff to watch.

Anyway, Missy may have just eased into "legit charachter" status this week. A little bit of the depth her charachter needed was layered on.

The revelation about the Pres. and VP at the end of the episode should prove to be interesting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Zap2it reported that "Jack & Bobby" would be swapping timeslots with "The Mountain", and it was confirmed by the WB's commercials last night during "The Mountain". J&B was getting killed by those Deperate Housewives on Sunday nights.

Starting 10/27/04, "Jack & Bobby" will move to Wednesday nights following "Smallville".

Starting 10/31/04, "The Mountain" will move to Sunday nights following "Charmed".

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Here is what's going to happen this Sunday:

An original episode of THE MOUNTAIN will air October 20, while a repeat of the JACK & BOBBY episode, "Better Days," will air Sunday, October 24. An all-new JACK & BOBBY episode, "Valentino," will air during the show's new time period premiere, October 27. An all-new episode of THE MOUNTAIN, "Best Laid Plans," will launch the show into its new time period October 31.

Interesting that this move places it in competition with the West Wing.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Damnit, now that's 4 shows on Wed. night I have to keep up with. Now all my TV takes place on Wed. and Thurs.
frown.gif
J&B was the only show I watch that wasn't on on Wed. or Thurs and it was nice to have something to watch during the rest of the week.

Besides, while I would gladly watch a Smallville, J&B block on Wed. nights, am I the only one who finds Smallville an odd leadin show? I know leadin shows aren't the big deal they used to be, but they still matter.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Against The West Wing? Okay, The WB has no idea about Desparate Housewives and how popular it was going to be. But now, are they trying to kill the show?

Don Black

Screenwriter
If they were smart they would schedule it before TWW. J&B at 8 and TWW at 9. A politically themed night...

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor
I think Smallville and J&B are a good fit together. Both are about a boy coming into his destiny as some great figure.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I had enough problems with The West Wing going against CSY: NY. But now this. I would like to record the third show, too, just in case of a phone call or the whatnot.

I may have to invest in a second TiVo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks