What's new

I've seen a lot of bad football, but the Dallas Cowboys really stink up the joint. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
As a Cowboy fan, I think this is a good move. Anything to get the 'Boys winning again. Besides, Parcells is an intelligent man and coach....I am confident that he was aware of the situation he was walking into as far as knowing the nature of Jerry Jones.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I see Parcells and Jones being at each other's throats. This could get ugly.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Let's see: Jones HAD a coach who had built the team into a two time Super Bowl champ, riding high, couldn't possibly ask for more, and......FIRES the guy because winning is secondary to his bloated ego.

And he's expected to be "different" with Parcells. Yeah, right.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I wrote earlier in this thread that I did not believe Jones would hire another ‘control-freak’ coach.
He did. Now it remains to be seen how long this will last.
Still, I’m looking forward to next season—even before this one is over.
Now if something could only be done about some of the players… :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Now if something could only be done about some of the players…
I'm sure that Parcells will have something to say about that. It was interesting to see Emmitt Smith avoid any discussion regarding his new coach during a sideline interview at the Michigan - Florida bowl game. He refused to do the interview if the reporter asked any questions regarding Parcells, saying he had very strong opinions on the subject but did not wish to share them.

So, does Emmitt think this just sealed his fate in Dallas and probably ended his NFL career?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
So, does Emmitt think this just sealed his fate in Dallas and probably ended his NFL career?
Well he has been an icon in Dallas (and the NFL) for a good long time, and as such has done things his way for a good long time. He is especially noted for not thinking that he needed to put forth a big effort in training camp (and summer practices)—of course this is different than the effort he puts forth in preparing himself.

The stories are legendary as to Parcells’ views on the effort required during practices.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I think Emmitt could possibly come back, if he takes quite a pay cut. Parcells likes to have a vetern running back around, so anything is possible.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but one thing is for sure - he is committed to winning. The difference between Jones and some other NFL owners is that JJ doesn't reward losers, he instead fires them. That can't be said for the likes of the Detroit Lions and Atlanta Falcons owners who retain and reward losers all to the detriment of the franchise and the fans.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The difference between Jones and some other NFL owners is that JJ doesn't reward losers, he instead fires them.
Then he needs to fire his general manager -- some guy named Jerry Jones.

Jones oversized ego has destroyed the powerhouse that Jimmy Johnson built for him. He wouldn't give Johnson the credit he deserved for building the team and drove him out of Dallas. At that time, he even stated that "anyone can coach this team" as he hired Barry Switzer.

Jones thinks that playing college football somehow qualifies him to run an NFL franchise. He needs to get a clue and let Parcells run the entire show.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Jones oversized ego has destroyed the powerhouse that Jimmy Johnson built for him. He wouldn't give Johnson the credit he deserved for building the team and drove him out of Dallas. At that time, he even stated that "anyone can coach this team" as he hired Barry Switzer.
You will get no argument from me on either one of those 2 statements. Yes, Jones has a massive ego....Yes, Jones didn't appreciate what Jimmie Johnson had done....Yes, Jones can be a control freak w/ an overinflated view of himself, BUT, there are alot of NFL franchises out there who would fare much better w/ a Jerry Jones at the helm (even w/ all his faults) then some of the lame-duck owners out there right now who reward failure and mediocrity.
Also, calling Jones the one who destroyed the Dallas dynasty is a bit of an overstatement. The salary cap and free-agency did MORE damage to the team MUCH quicker than Jerry Jones could've done.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
...And as a die-hard Cowboy fan, although I think the Parcells thing was a good move, I have a feeling that 'ol Bill might not even see the end of his contract. Sure Jerry has his quirks, but so does Parcells.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks