What's new

I've run out of dvds to buy :) (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I've been collecting movies for a long time, first on vhs, then ld, and now dvd. There has always been a lot more movies available than I've been able to afford. Recently I've been buying at the rate of about 2 dvds per week which wasn't fast enough to eat away at the to buy list. Then, for christmas my wife said I could buy the remaining dvds on my list. There were about 16 so that would have taken me 2 months to get to (by which time there would be more dvds I wanted released). But now, my list is gone. I've bought them all. There are no dvds that I could buy today that I don't own that I would want to own.

Of course, there are still a lot of movies I'd buy on dvd if they were available (214 to be exact), so my dvd buying days aren't over yet, but now I'll only buy them as they get released, so I think I'll be spending a lot less money.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think you should spread the wealth around, George! Buy some DVD's for the rest of us!
Personally, there's still about 500-600 RELEASED discs out there that I would love to buy. That doesn't even begin to cover the "Coming" listings! :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Have you considered checking out some films you haven't yet seen? (Assuming that there are some.)

Keith M.

Second Unit
I can definetly relate...

I have been a dvd collector since they came out (i think 97). My collection is well over 1000 discs. Lately, except for the few new releases each week, I have a hard time picking movies to buy. I used to have a list of catalog titles I wanted, but have since purchased them all. The worst part about it is, now all those titles are almost half what I paid!!!!! Oh well, I guess early-adopters always pay the price...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered checking out some films you haven't yet seen? (Assuming that there are some.)
There are tons I haven't seen (a longer list than my owned & desired dvds combined). I'm constantly watching movies I haven't seen before (as a matter of fact I just got back from the video store where I rented Nashville). But I have to say the vast majority of the time these turn out to be films I'm glad I've seen, but ones I don't want to see again, so only a relatively small percentage get added to my to buy list.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I reached that point some time ago. I buy as I need and whent hey are released now. Next up are Tombstone UE and Atlantis CE next month.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Do what I did, get a Malata :D There's a French Magnificent Ambersons disc that might interest you, not to mention all the world filmmakers either unavailable in R1 or with inferior discs to those available elsewhere.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
George, have you seen Odd Man Out, available on dvd from Image? It's a bare-bones release with a decent transfer. OMO is an outstanding movie and a must-own. Hey, can you really go wrong with James Mason and Robert Newton? :)

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I have definately hit this point - I have some xmas vouchers burning a hole in my pocket, but I am really trying to resist buying unless they fit the criteria of either compelling plot or great Home Theater reference material. I have some 300 discs and have slowed down in recent months.

Still there are some I have missed, many thanks for the heads up on the 'Odd Man Out' - a real classic, I am from Belfast and this film also prominantly features the best pub in the world - The CROWN bar, a local institution.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Time to put that money towards hardware upgrades instead...MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! It never ends...:D

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm nearing 400 discs and have decided to slow down, if not stop, not because there's nothing I want to buy, but for two reasons:

1. I haven't watched at least 60% of the DVDs I already own.

2. The outlay is becoming significant enough that I'd rather be putting it towards a condo or something.

Jovan J

Grip
I'm sorry that some of you guys feel the need to slow down on getting larger collections of DVDs.

I love this stuff, I have around 1200 DVDs and I'm not even close being done, but I'm not buying just movies.There is so much out there,like cool Documentaries, Imax, Animation, Music, Sports, Television shows etc...

I can't wait for some unreleased DVDs to show up.

I just wish there is more hours in a day to watch all this stuff, so I'm up late every night enjoying and getting very very little sleep.

But like I said, I LOVE THIS STUFF!!! DVD IS GREAT !!!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
George, I can relate as well.
600+ LD/DVDs and I'm starting to finally hit some level of satisfaction. The flow has become a comfortable trickle. The next few months have about 1-2 per week at the most.
I have in mind - Mad Max, Tron, Tombstone, MASH...that's about all I can think of.
Something like Banzai would be fun, but I'm not sure how much I would rewatch it.
There are many unreleased films I would want, but I'd guess even that list to be no more than 200.
Currently I am working down my TOO WATCH list of DVDs that haven't been watched proper yet. That's at about 25 and headed down quick. Then I will be able to go back and start on round #2. That'll get me through the set sometime in 2003, even if I don't buy anything new.
"So I'm not sweating it either" - Rushmore. :D

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
I felt this way about a year or so ago when I had around 200 DVDs. I even posted a message similar to yours.
I just couldn't think of that many more (that were out) I actually wanted to buy. Well, now I have over 500, and every time I go to Best Buy, or visit an online vendor, I see dozens I would like to have.
I guess I got my "second wind" so to speak ;)

ErichH

Screenwriter
My collection is somewhat smaller than most of you - around 160 with about 20 on a wish list . When I first started to collect , there was a feenzy to get action stuff and have fun with the sound . Then came the dramas , then it was on to filling out my favorie directors - like Ridley Scott / Kubrick(thank god for the SK collection) / Terry Gilliam , etc . It was fun getting my collection together , sometimes 4-6 per week .

My 1 rule was to never buy anything that I won't watch at least 10 times - so I have to really love the film . I broke this rule a few times , and realizing I was just caught up in the thrill of bringing something new home - I let ebay take care of my mistakes . It was like an expensive rental .

What's left for me is the possibility of discovering something I missed , and maby a fix or two , Like the new Tombstone SE . I'm shure I'll get the bug to get more and get that thrill again , but for now I wait for weeks for something to surface . Perhaps some classics may be in store ??

Eric

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I never did get caught up in buying any movies on tape (although I did own a VCR since the very first Betamax in 1975). Being a scientist, I knew that tapes were not "forever" thanks to magnetic fields and entropy.
:laugh:
That said, when I finally got into LD's in the late '80's I was hooked. And, of course, when DVD's reared their ugly little heads in 1997 I made the transition (at first reluctantly, but then whole hog as the superior picture quickly became apparent.) Now over 4000 discs later (I passed the 4000 disc mark a couple of months ago, representing ~ 3400 titles thanks to multi-disc packages) I'm now accepting the fact that it is almost impossible (unless you have Bill Gates' pocket change) to keep up with the releases. Sometime in 2002 my number of DVD titles will overtake the 1776 LD titles I own (some sort of watershed, I guess).
But the DVD world is a bit different, thanks to increased popularity and availability, than the LD world. In the "old" days I used to acquire just about everything released. Now that DVD's have gone mainstream there are far too many titles available and a definite watering down of the quality of the selections in my estimation. This is because DVD's are so easy to make (you can even do it at home!) and everyone is getting into the act with some very dubious titles. Make no mistakes - there are still most of the "A" titles being released on DVD, but also a lot of secondary stuff as well.
So, to bring this topic full cycle, I can understand the reasoning behind the initial premise of this thread and can appreciate it.
So many DVD's.
So little time.
And, to some extent, too much chaff among the wheat.
(BTW, if you are still wondering was possesses a person to acquire over 4000 discs go to my HT web site and look at the "Why So Many Movies" section. The article referenced there says it all.)
Take care.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Wow guys that's a lot of dvds. Where do you guys find the time to watch all those movies? Do you have time to watch each movie more than once, or is each dvd a view once only thing?

Jon

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Do you have time to watch each movie more than once, or is each dvd a view once only thing?
Ironically, there are some movies I've never watched while others I've seen more than a dozen times. The unwatched movies either represent movies I wish to own and have already seen in the past (and will get to when the time is "right") or things that are queued up for watching "whenever." The multiple watched titles usually represent guilty pleasures (like Let It Ride or My Cousin Vinnie or White Men Can't Jump or any number of other favorites, or otherwise "demo" quality titles that I use to show off the HT.
Interestingly, the more discs a person owns the more they really understand what I've talking about.
;)
Take care.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!

I only wish that there's a time that I'd have all the DVDs that I want. My collection is 350 disks and growing. There is probably over 100 disks that are currently released that I would love to own. The list of upcomming releases that I want is also quite large.

Consider yourself VERY lucky!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks