What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No to be a downer to a happy thread...I've had at least 3 dogs for 20+ years, currently have 6.Our bull terrier/lab came down with heartworms last fall. Heartgard her entire life(like the rest). Anyway, did the arsenic at the vet(partially paid by Heartgard). At the 6mo check...positive for worms.Re-check next month. If positive again(vet said "could be false positive"), Heartgard isn't paying anything(already checked, would be a "improper dosing problem").Not sure(me or vet) if arsenic on a second round is a good idea. Young dog(5) and shows no signs of heartworm(no coughing, labored breathing, choking when eating).Anybody tried the 18mo remedy? There are two drugs(lyme and what Heartgard essentially is) you can get at Tractor Supply and do it yourself...Anybody been through this?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never been through anything like that, Sam...involving heartworms.

But I think I'd stick with the vet's recommendations...assuming you are confident in and happy with your vet.

Doesn't sound like something I'd try to take on myself.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not sold on this vet. We've been handed to the "fresh from Purdue" greenhorn. And yes, Purdue is one of the best vet schools in the country...One other dog(by the way, both full time outdoor) had "some other worm" that causes, uhm, messes...nothing real serious...But, all my dogs get "outdoor dog shots" appropriate to Indiana. They even get flea/tick pills/shots (depending on size of dog if shot or pill).The one dog that had "the other worm" has a habit of bringing presents(birds, raccoons, rabbits...one time brought a skunk). And not uncommon for him to "miss breakfast" for 2-3 days. Dogs around here roam openly to keep fox/wolf at bay.This vet(company) is known for "helping their bottom dollar"...Anyway, odd the sheltered dog(if I'm not there, she hides in the barn) has the worms.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam:

My wife passed on this link to me (she's my "dog expert"). You might find some good information HERE.

Who knew there was an American Heartwork Society?!? And you even get to pay dues! :biggrin:

Good luck!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
I'm not sold on this vet. We've been handed to the "fresh from Purdue" greenhorn. And yes, Purdue is one of the best vet schools in the country...
The "greenhorns" have to get experience somewhere. My vet was freshly hired from Washington State University when I started taking my pets to her (another man had started the practice 20+ years ago, so he was always there to assist if needed).

When one of my cats needed to be put sleep about ten years ago from kidney failure, she was literally more upset than I was, both of us in tears as she completed the process.

She's been wonderful for years and I'd never switch doctors. She did the spaying on my black lab and also a major operation on her front feet about 4 1/2 years ago (dog had six toes, and one of her dew claws stuck out at a ninety degree angle, so knew it had to be taken care of). It was much more involved than I expected, not just a quickie declaw like they do on a cat. She had to go 2-2/12 inches up into my dog's paws to remove the digits, but a few days of rest, some pain meds and my dog did fantastic.

We all want long time, experienced doctors, but new ones have to start somewhere. This woman I trusted and she's done wonderful work.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The rescue people I got my Landseer/newfy from recommended a cure for her heartworms. I can't remember what it was (some email search might find it). I was nervous about it. Went with regular treatment at my vet instead. Honey's worms were so bad she needed 2 treatments back to back. Cost over $800. But she's great now. Doing fine. I have mine on the prev, but I haven't had them checked lately. I do keep all mine indoor since South GA is notorious for HW. Still, I know I need to take them. I just got a minipin (mentioned earlier in the thread) and I'll be having her checked within the next 2 weeks. .

Good luck on yours.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've Got a New Dog!!!

smiley-linie-009.gif

Four months after Brooks left us, our local rescue group--through diligent effort--finally found us another Golden Retriever in need of rescue.

His name is Ike! It is derived from the old Albany, NY dutch family name of Ten Eyck. All of my dogs have featured names based on names from Albany's past, Brooks (Ten Broeck), Hudson (Henryck Hudson), and Schuyler (Pieter Schuyler).

Ike is handsome - small.jpg

Now, we are on a two week trial period, but Day #1 (today) went really well. Ike's future in our family depends on how well he gets along with our resident spaniel, Kelly. Today was a major victory. She expressed her natural dominance and he acquiesced at every turn.

Ike and Kelly - small.jpg

He spent most of the day today doing his best impersonation of my shadow. He likes his tennis ball (like any retriever worth his salt). and is currently sleeping at my feet. If this keeps up, I've got a new dog! :biggrin:

Ike with Tennis Ball - small.jpg
Ike and his tongue - small.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, he looks awesome. Bottom left picture, that expression... he's just waiting for fun. :D I'll bet he'd love him some water somewhere.

btw, all mine are heartworm free. And for the first time, I took them all somewhere together (to the vet) at the same time, by myself. Sounds like the start of a 1980s family comedy movie. But they were all excellent.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Just remember these words of wisdom from George Lucas:

"If once you start down the dog path, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, everybody!

I forgot to mention that Ike is six years old...so he is not quite the senior citizen that Brooks was when he came into our life. :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The good vibes continue on the homefront today.

No major problems to speak of!

Kelly and Ike on front porch.JPG
Ike and Kelly in Living Room.JPG

And here's Ike's impression of Dug (from Pixar's Up)

Ike - CloseUp.JPG
url.jpg

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Mike,Ike is awesome!! I can't help but smile at each picture you post! Here's hoping this the beginning of a great and long friendship!Chris

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I wish my dog was that tidy.

She's a black lab named Kylie, but most of the time I call her Drooly or Gooberdog. She's a total slob if anything edible is in sight, drooling, dripping all over the place.

The close-up picture of Ike doing Dug would be a flowing faucet if it were my Kylie.

But you still have to love them, wonderful additions to our lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks