What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've not been up on this thread. Mike, sorry to hear about losing your dog.

John, glad to see your new mate is having fun!

My wife assured me we bought adamantium cats, since losing pets is never any good...

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Mike,
I, also am a little late finding out about your loss. You, Peggy, and everyone who has lost a friend have my deepest sympathy.

I'd just like to mention that I was doing OK, keeping it together here at work, right up until I read this:
Brooks was a good boy.
I think that might be the best thing that can be said about a a male dog. It carries so much meaning in 5 words.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to everyone again for chiming in with your thoughts.
Dheiner said:
Mike,
I, also am a little late finding out about your loss. You, Peggy, and everyone who has lost a friend have my deepest sympathy.

I'd just like to mention that I was doing OK, keeping it together here at work, right up until I read this:

Brooks was a good boy.
I think that might be the best thing that can be said about a a male dog. It carries so much meaning in 5 words.
John: Your post especially touched me. Every time I re-read my own post about Brooks' death...or e-mails I have written on the subject...THAT is the line which tears me up every time. It IS quite meaningful and it's very cool that you picked up on it.

We are now having a hard time being patient as we wait for our next "good boy" to find us.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My vet warned me that black labs will eat anything, and he wasn't wrong.

Thought after three years I had finally learned and dog-proofed the house, but while I was out she somehow stood up and reached way back on my kitchen counter and grabbed a package of three hoagie buns. Needless to say, she ripped open the plastic and ate them all. Apparently all food now goes into a cupboard.

A couple of days ago we were playing, just tossing a ball in the yard, then came inside and were rough-housing a little. She ended up on her back and even though she's very gentle, accidentally reached up with one of her paws and cut my nose, very deep, not just a minor scratch. Now I have this 1 1/2 inch cut to my nose, thankfully healing and doesn't look like it will scar, but wow did it bleed, took almost an hour before it stopped bleeding and I could bandage it.

I've now learned a few more lessons. Dogs are wonderful and I'd never give her up, but I think in many ways they train us.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Its good to see a person rescuing a dog from one of these homes, shame it never got on with the dog you already have, around three and a quarter years back that's where we got our cat who had been abandoned by her owners, she had her right top canine tooth missing too, they never told us that and we found out when we got her home, that's her in my avatar picture, she's getting on now and is going to be fifteen this year.

I hope this rescue center does not put dogs to sleep, that's one of the things i would worry about, is it okay and are they going to look after the dog and find it another home, such a sad story to read as i clicked the like this and then read further down and it was a bit of a sad story in the end. I really hope that dog found another home.

I also hope threads like this encourage more to adopt stray animals.

P.S. Editing another post, it's becoming a habit, i just read page one, i didn't realize there were 7 pages. :lol: just reading the last post there about Stan's dog, i'm always playing with the cat and getting scratches, they don't mean anything by it, it's just how they play, they like to scratch walls and furniture too, gotta cover some of the furniture up in the evening.

Just read about Brooks, that is very sad, they look a lot like Caesar who was a golden labrador i had when i was younger.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My old dog Goldie as a puppy used to playfully bite me in the face. Kind of across my chin and bridge of my nose. I used to say something to her and she'd do it. Forgot what... anyway, one time she over estimated or I accidently moved in too much and she gave me a good bite! I still have a small indentation on the bridge of my nose where she got me. Originally, it didn't break the skin but just a big ole zit appearted. I've always thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm:

The first dog that we had adopted (at the beginning of this thread, Moses) ending up getting adopted by his foster family. His story ended well. The other animals in their household ended up welcoming Moses nicely and the people in the household ended up getting quite attached to the dog.

Everything worked out wonderfully for him...and for us and Brooks.

The rescue group that we used...Peppertree Rescue really focuses on making sure the matches really work out well for both the animals and the humans involved. They won't close the deal on the adoption until they know that it's a good fit on both sides (or else its not really a good fit).

I am concerned that the images I posted on the first few pages of the thread are no longer visible. The thread comes up a little short without them.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My black lab, Kylie, actually caught and killed a bird today. Didn't eat it, just brought it to the back door and I made her drop whatever she had in her mouth before I let her in, then discovered the sparrow.

Don't know how she did it, she's so big and goofy, can't imagine how she snuck up on a live bird and caught it, but she was quite proud of herself.

My cat, even declawed, will sit for hours in the shrubs watching the birds come and go. Every once in a while she'll get one. But how a big black lab who just gallops through the yard, scaring them all away actually caught one is pretty amazing.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stan said:
My black lab, Kylie, actually caught and killed a bird today. Didn't eat it, just brought it to the back door and I made her drop whatever she had in her mouth before I let her in, then discovered the sparrow.

Don't know how she did it, she's so big and goofy, can't imagine how she snuck up on a live bird and caught it, but she was quite proud of herself.

My cat, even declawed, will sit for hours in the shrubs watching the birds come and go. Every once in a while she'll get one. But how a big black lab who just gallops through the yard, scaring them all away actually caught one is pretty amazing.
I think your cat gave it to her as a present. :lol:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I think your cat gave it to her as a present. :lol:
Actually the cat hasn't been outside in years. She "tolerates" my dog, but she won't go out, knowing that she'll be chased, etc. by my dog just trying to play.

Unless the bird died and just fell from the sky, I think the dog did the deed, although I still can't imagine how.

My cat's last catch was about a year ago when four mice somehow climbed the foundation to my house, got underneath my aluminum siding and set up house under my dishwasher. She would stare at the bottom of the dishwasher for hours, not until I started getting little tiny wood shavings falling on my washer in the basement as they chewed through the floorboards did I realize what was happening.

Cruel, but a few traps with peanut butter got all of them, except for the one that got away, which she caught and played with for quite a while until she finally killed it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The other day I found my dog sitting on the deck eating a rabbit's leg. ew. I found the rest of the rabbit elsewhere in the yard. I have no idea if he killed it or not. My wife saw a hawk hanging around a few hours earlier, but my dog had been outside a number of times since so I can't imagine he had only just then noticed it.

As for my previous dog, I had noticed him 'dancing' around the yard. He looked so happy so I went outside to check on him. He had a baby rabbit in his mouth and was prancing around the yard with it. I have no idea if he caught that one or found it either.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI for dog owners. I give my black lab a bone (usually sliced shanks) that she chews on for hours, eventually eating most of them.

Took her in a few months ago to upgrade her shots and a general checkup and the bones make a huge difference.

She has perfect teeth, no tartar, nothing at all. I used to try and brush them, absolutely impossible, it's already war-time when I clip her nails.

Started her when she was a puppy with no problem, just getting her used to the feeling, the clippers, etc. Then at about a year, she just said no, My vet told me it was her rebellious teenage time kicking in. I literally had to sneak up on her sleeping and could clip one or two before she woke up. Pretty much a week-long process.

What really ticked me off is I took her to PetSmart and had them clip her nails once. She stood there like a perfect little angel, the whole thing took maybe two minutes and she never flinched.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The funniest thing happened just now.I'm sitting on my sofa in the living room with the back patio door open.My dog Bosko is sitting on the back patio and hears a distant fire engine.He starts to howl with the fire engine.So to see if he will do it again, I have to imitate a fire engine for him to do it again.He won't do it if I just howl.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
The other day I found my dog sitting on the deck eating a rabbit's leg. ew. I found the rest of the rabbit elsewhere in the yard. I have no idea if he killed it or not. My wife saw a hawk hanging around a few hours earlier, but my dog had been outside a number of times since so I can't imagine he had only just then noticed it.

As for my previous dog, I had noticed him 'dancing' around the yard. He looked so happy so I went outside to check on him. He had a baby rabbit in his mouth and was prancing around the yard with it. I have no idea if he caught that one or found it either.
It's amazing what dogs will eat, they still have that wild side that comes out once in a while.

My cat's litter box is in my basement, which my dog has never seen. She goes up and down steps into/out of the house, but she never set foot in my basement, I have no idea why, but it's good for my cat to have her own space.

Always hear that dog's mouths are actually cleaner than human mouths. Find that hard to believe since dogs will eat their own feces and another dog I had about ten years ago would sneak to the basement at night and eat cat turds out of the litter box. The dog show crowd jokingly refers to them as doggy Hors d'oeuvres. Yuck.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yet somehow dogs are able to do a great job of healing their own wounds. It's confusing...

btw, none of the dogs I've had have ever eaten their own, but cat turds are another story. :( A few of my dogs have even eaten human waste from our trips in the woods I'll catch them at obvious remains from somebody's quick trip into the woods, wiping with whatever was nearby. All kinds of uuuuck! on that one. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks