What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Over in our review thread of the new Blu release of 101 Dalmatians, I just posted some pictures of the first dog my wife and I had after we got married back in 1982--our Dalmatian, Schuyler.

That got me reminiscing a bit about what a wonderful family pet he was for us.

Here's a picture of when he was about six years old with my near-two-year old daughter:

gallery_286742_34_1897636.jpg

And then when he was about eleven years old...letting my three year old son climb all over him (that was the summer he measured everything he set eyes on!). :biggrin:

gallery_286742_34_2240471.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Adorable pics.

My Scooter is having problems with her legs. Of course, don't tell her that. She races to be #1 on our daily walks and is able to jump on the chair and the bed (people bed, not doggie). But she gets stiff too. She also has a "bubble" under her skin near her leg. So we're doing a vet visit next week. She's about 13. Such a happy girl, but she'd never bother the rest of us with complaints of pain or anything.

Here she is waiting for the van to take her to the Weight Watchers Meeting. :p

scoothoney04252010019.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Here she is waiting for the van to take her to the Weight Watchers Meeting. :P

scoothoney04252010019.jpg

I love that pic, too, James. But your "caption" really sells it! :laugh:

Dogs are so brave as they age. It's a real lesson they teach us about doing the best we can within our circumstances--even if that includes a fair amount of ache & pains.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
Dogs are so brave as they age. It's a real lesson they teach us about doing the best we can within our circumstances--even if that includes a fair amount of ache & pains.
Cats are smarter. As my cats age, they just turn up the charm so their hoomin has to be quicker at filling their wants.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ike had a play date today with a friend who was visiting from out of town. Her name was Honey...a lighter-colored Golden Retriever.

They had a ton of fun running together:

gallery_286742_34_715645.jpg

gallery_286742_34_1598257.jpg

This picture shows off Ike's superpower...the ability to fly:

gallery_286742_34_213225.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I forgot to mention Scooter is just fine. I took her weeks ago. I have her on hip & joint, she's a different dog. full of energy, in fact maybe too much. She pushes herself a little too much, but her weight is down thanks to the hip & joint pills. Kayla, my mini-pin, is jealous and wants hip & joint too. but she's don't need it. I can't recommend the stuff enough to older dogs as a nice boost and making them fell so much better. I wish i'd gotten it for old dog Bear. I get it from Tractor Supply Store, a suggestion from a co-worker. $24 for regular strength, enough for Scooter for 2.5 months, 3/4 pill twice a day.

the bubble under her skin was just a fat tumor. they said don't worry about it unless it changes or bothers her. they tried to take her temp and she wanted out of there at the point. they kept giving her handfuls of treats, she'd eat them all and still want out of there. lol they took the temp under her arm. it was all a great big relief.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
James: Thanks for the update. I was curious.

I guess she's not going to her Weight Watchers meetings any more, huh? :biggrin:
I need a BEFORE AFTER for her! She's always in the front on walks now.

Oh, and she's a smart girl. I used to do a game years ago with her, Bear and Goldie when I had them all about 10 years ago. I've always divided a can of food as a snack for them. I'd hide the can itself somewhere in the house for when they cleaned their bowls, and they'd all go look for it. I stopped doing that after I realized what it was doing to their teeth. Bear would destroy cans but it really messed her teeth up before I knew what was happening. I was reading last week about some games you can play with dogs and they mentioned hiding food and it got me wanting to do that again. so the last few days I'm showing them that, just putting some canned food in a plastic bowl that won't hurt teeth. Scooter never forgot how to do it, she'll run all over the house checking everywhere over over again. really funny watching her work. I could really hide it in some good places and she'd find it eventually. She's good. She and Goldie were pros at that game and would never stop looking until one of them found it. But now, poor Honey Bun and Kayla are having problems learning it. Kayla stands there looking at me, where's my prize?! lol She's used to getting the prize just for finishing first, which was often since she'd get less food being small. Honey Bun is funny about it, she's so slow, and will look around nearby the kitchen even though I showed them it was down the hall. Scooter has won every time so far but I think soon Honey Bun will figure it out. They can really have a ball if you have dogs that like to compete.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great story, James!

Reminds me of some video I shot on behalf of my wife some months ago as she was blogging about a new dog toy...which contained dog treats. We put the toy in front of both of our dogs: Kelly, our smart little cocker spaniel mix...and Ike, our Golden Retriever.

Now Ike is smart--in his own dumb kind of way. But you'll see, in the videos the difference between clever and...not-so-clever. Kelly absolutely schools Ike in figuring out how to get the treats out of the little ball.

Kelly:

Ike:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^^ lion cut! i thought of getting that for Honey Bun. She's so shaggy, and it's hot. I have to run the air way up.

Kelly - fun! Skilled little girl...

Ike - some cruel torture, how do I do this?!! lol Honey would give up almost right away. I need to get one of those for mine. (oh, my old dog Bear would have torn that thing apart even if the thing is supposed to be unbreakable! lol)

I rigged it so Honey have best chance last night to get the special bowl of food down the hall but she wouldn't do it. Scooter got it again. Kayla didn't bother either. so they need more training. I'll probably just give one to scoot because she'll always be a ringer, and have Kayla and Honey compete for the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks