What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ike and I have been so busy I have been negligent with updates.

I sometimes am surprised to find that my CAPS LOCK button is on:

Ike on Keyboard.JPG

AND (see? :biggrin: )...Ike just graduated at the top of his obedience class!

Ike in Necktie.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
holding his head up proudly. did he do that on his own or is he "looking at something"? I ask because my landseer/newfy will hold her head up as if with pride and not to look at anything particular. :) ... anyway, it adds a lot to the pic.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Love the pic of Ike on the keyboard.

My black lab Kylie does that all the time, but I constantly have to move her, she can be a major drooler.

Most times she's fine, but she'll lay her head across the keyboard and just relax.

Can't even imagine getting Kylie to pose like that, she's five now, but still living in puppy-land.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Oh...but he makes me feel too good, Greg! He's sleeping on my feet right now. :biggrin:

I recently invested in a number of these from a seller on eBay:

I Like Ike.JPG

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Can't mention that song without the one that had to settle out of court:

If you needed a bark
In the neighborhood
Who could you call?
IKE FREZON!

Now, he's been to school
Knows that that ain't good
Who can't you call?
IKE FREZON!

Ike ain't a'chasin' no cars
Ike ain't a'chasin' no squirrels
Ike ain't a'chasin' no birds
Obeyin' makes him feel good!

When he comes through the doggy door
His feet ain't muddy no more
I think you're safe to call
IKE FREZON!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Long time readers of this thread (not that the thread is all THAT old!) will remember that it all started with the adoption of a Golden Retriever named Moses. An adoption that didn't work out for me.

Well, my wife Peggy wrote an article on the very subject of Moses and the adoption-that-wasn't-meant-to-be for the current issue of Guidepost Magazine.

Click HERE to read the article. Hint: It has a happy ending for Moses! :biggrin:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Great story. Always an adventure adopting a new one. I think the easiest way is to have a stray that stops by and slowly sort of becomes a member of the family (2-legged and 4-legged). We've had that happen enough. Lots of strays around my town, sadly.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sometimes it seems like you just can't catch a break. But, luckily, it seems like everything is all right for us now.

We had some big concerns about Ike's health this past week. His first trip to our own vet revealed a realllllllly low heart rate...even though the rescue group's vet had recorded a number of normal heart rates as they provided initial care for my buddy.

Rather than recount the tale myself, I will link you to my wife's version which hit on her blog today. The vet actually did an EKG on Ike and also used an office iPhone to get a preliminary single-line EKG strip!

Read all about Ike's trip to the vet and the use of technology HERE.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We just got a new dog...to us.

Found a brindled Chow mix standing in the middle of the road two towns over. He's gimpy and has heartworms. Once we get him "otherwise healthy" we can attempt to take care of the heartworms...unless the prior owner responds to a CL posting.

Gorgeous(we had to shave 2/3 of him) dog and well-mannered. Obviously housebroken(or we wouldn't have shaved him)...tried a FURminator(yes it is costly, but any owner of a long haired cat or dog...get one...trust me) and got most of the "been outside a while" out of him...

Vet gave us some pain med, anti-biotic and expectorant...we'll see how he comes along.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's a good thing you're doing, Sam.

Sounds like he was abandoned if he was in that bad a shape physically, but well-mannered and housebroken otherwise.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, he weighed 58 pounds at the vet. Typical dog like him(if it weren't for how long his body is...and not being broad shouldered like a pure Chow) is a 4 digit puppy.

Based on his stature he should weigh 70+. Has occasional trouble with stairs. Not sure if that is arthritis(guesstimate is 5 years old. Yellowed teeth, but no grey on his muzzle), heart damage or simply malnourished. I think he's only barked twice and that was when the other three were going bananas over squirrels.

All four of his upper joints are stiff. He won't walk with his hind legs much beyond straight up and down. Can't squat much to do his business either, nor lift 1 leg to pee.

Hopefully all that gets better...for his sake. In two weeks, if no improvement...well...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
D'ya think your vet might go for some Rimadyl for those stiff joints?

How old do you think he is? Age might account for some of those issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks