What's new

ITV (UK) Blu-ray-titles coming (e.g. "The Boys from Brazil", "Great Expectations") (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Hollywoodland and Sexy Beast are U.K. releases that I can confirm are locked from the A's.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Yes, that's what it was - Brief Encounter - it's definitely locked to B.

Originally Posted by John Hodson

I assume you're addressing Racheal B, but Brief Encounter has been reported as being locked to Region B hasn't it?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
PAL/NTSC is no longer applicable to Blu-ray, so anything like a PAL speed-up cannot be there.
Not entirely true. An HD master can still be mastered at 25 fps rather than 24 fps. This happened, for example, on the UK Blu-ray edition of 'The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada', which was released by Optimum in a 1080i transfer running at the wrong speed. So people still need to be careful with BD releases in Europe based on masters created in Europe. Unfortunately, there is still a 50Hz mentality in Europe that occasionally transfers over to HD.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison
What a mentality!

And, BTW, your BD-player will probably output 50fps fine. It's in the specs.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My (benign) point was your use of the word "50Hz mentality". The 50 fps choice was made because of the power supply frequency (just like the NTSC 60 fps was dictated by the 60Hz PS in the US.)

It's not "a mentality", it's directly related to the needs of the original TV technology, which still exist of course in many instances of TV- and monitor equipment.

And there are hardly any films on BD output in 50 fps. If you see a 50 fps BD, it's almost always a TV show, or something else that was recorded that way in the first place.

So I haven't seen any film yet on a European BD displayed at an incorrect speed.
Perhaps there is one, but then I missed it.

Cees

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Cees Alons

And there are hardly any films on BD output in 50 fps. If you see a 50 fps BD, it's almost always a TV show, or something else that was recorded that way in the first place.

So I haven't seen any film yet on a European BD displayed at an incorrect speed.
Perhaps there is one, but then I missed it.

Cees
As I pointed out before, I certainly hope there are no films on BD output at 50 fps!! I think you meant 25 fps. Well I quoted one example of a 25 fps BD in my earlier post. The UK BD of the film "The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada" is encoded at 50i and therefore plays back at the wrong speed, i.e. 25 fps.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, I meant half-frames to keep the relation to the 50Hz we were discussing.
But you're right of course: that would be 25 fps (film frames).

I happen to have the US SDVD version of The Three Burials... so I didn't experience that problem.
As far as I know, there's no US Blu-ray version of the film, possible meaning they had to do it theirselves (getting a 4k scan, I mean). Or perhaps (hopefully, hopefully) it's only a wrong number on the back of the case. Wouldn't be the first time.

If it is true: TSBT (that sucks big time).

Cees

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Screenshots of Henry V here; Christian notes that there appears to be some kind of filter in effect, which gives the picture a waxy, or posterized look, in the first 29 minutes. Thereafter the picture is very good, but coming on top of The 39 Steps, it's a little disappointing. Note it has the Criterion commentary.

Click on the images to view them full size.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I don't believe in this waxy buildup stuff - and those caps are very encouraging, although I always take them with a large grain of salt. But the color is so much improved that I just ordered it and Hamlet. And I haven't even got my multi-region player yet because hkflix has been out of them and won't be getting them back until end of this month.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
And what's even curiouser (and curiouser) is that the Beaver's screencaps look nothing like that German fellow's screencaps. I have the Blu-Ray of both Hamlet and Henry V - now only if hkflix would get the Momitsus back in stock I might actually be able to watch them.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

And what's even curiouser (and curiouser) is that the Beaver's screencaps look nothing like that German fellow's screencaps. I have the Blu-Ray of both Hamlet and Henry V - now only if hkflix would get the Momitsus back in stock I might actually be able to watch them.
It's not curious because most of DVDBeaver's screenshots were made from scenes after the 29 minutes mark. It's that simple. Believe me, I'm the German fellow who made the screenshots, I watched it on my TV and with three different software players on my computer. They used DNR during the first 29 minutes to a horrible degree.

Regarding the color of the DVDBeaver screenshots: I think that they used the wrong color matrix again during RGB conversion. I used YCbCr specification ITU-R BT.709 for the Blu-ray screenshots. It seems that DVDBeaver used ITU-R BT.601 but that's the one for DVDs.
Look at my screenshot and this one from DVDBeaver. They're not the same frame, but the color (e.g. face) looks different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks