What's new

iTunes keeps changing Music Folder location (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I have successfully transferred and consolidate the iTunes music from my two computers (a PC and an iMac) to a network drive. (and I have backed up my network drive to a raid drive)

Everything is find and dandy - until I turn of the computer. Every time the iMac reboots iTunes reverts to the local hard drive location and I have to go in and reset it back to the Network drive.

I searched online and found several posts about this, but none that seem to adequately address the issue. Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wish I could help, but I have not had this problem. I have an internal HD in my desktop Mac set up as the source for an iMac upstairs, so it is essentially a (wired) network drive source for the iMac.

OK, I guess I do have an idea. How do you let the computer(s) know where the music files are? Do you tell iTunes to copy music files to the local drive? I think this should probably be "No" with a network drive. This is "Copy files to iTunes music folder" maybe should be unchecked.

Not sure what else to say.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As I think about it, the difference in my system is I don't add music from the remote iMac, only the desktop, so it is not going to a network drive as far as it is concerned.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same setup: all tracks for playback are stored on NAS drives. Here's what you need to do to make sure the drive is mounted every time you turn your machine on:

Mount the network drive so that it shows up on your desktop.
Go to System Preferences.
Click on Accounts.
Click on Login Items.
Drag the mounted drive over to the list.

Now the drive will automount every time you log in or turn your machine on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks