1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

iTunes file sharing

Discussion in 'Apple' started by saline77, Jan 21, 2009.

1. saline77

saline77 New Member

If two computers share an itunes library located on the first computer is there any way to have the 'shared' music files just remain on the hard disk of the second computer with permanent updates every time the first computer gets new music? They have a wireless Linksys connection.

2. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Well-Known Member

You'd have to setup computer 2 to mount computer 1 via file sharing. Then you can point iTunes on computer 2 to the library on computer 1. Then you have only one library and both computers read all the same files.

I've used this system for a while and it works fairly well. The drawback is having to mount the drive every time you want to access iTunes on computer 2, which means both machines have to be awake (which can be a pain if they're not in the same room together.) Also I've had my library file get corrupted twice in 2 years although I don't know for a fact it was because of library sharing.

-EJ