What's new

iTunes 11 is out (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/325612/itunes-11-is-out#post_4017559
Click and drag from one device to the other. Done.
You are doing this on a mac, right?
How I do drag videos from an iPhone to an iPad?

What I had to do is
* USB synch iPhone to get videos into iPhoto
* Put videos into Event
* Set iPad to sync that event
* Sync iPad

And if I'm not at home, there's no apparent way to get videos from iPhone to iPad for editing, since I need an intermediate computer for the process. Which is a bummer, since I usually want to dabble with this stuff right when I've shot the video on vacation. Having to wait days several days later is a bother and can kill the opportunity.

Overall, the interaction between videos and iOS remain a mystery to me.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
DaveF said:
And this weekend I will once again fight to understand how to get video shot on my iPhone to my iPad for use in iMovie. Because for all iCloud and home-video marketing ads, this simple task is unsupported by Apple.
If you have the appropriate 'USB-to-iPad' CCK adapter, I believe you may be able to use it to import photos (and videos?) from the iPhone to the iPad. (iPhone to charging cable to USB port on CCK adapter to iPad)
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3361

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I haven't been able to bring myself to buy that overpriced dingle hopper, but it would probably make my life easier :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I wish that Apple would follow Amazon's lead and allow sortable results pages.

Two recent examples: two new Pet Shop Boys EP's got released today yet had I not scrolled down the entire PSB page I would not have seen both. Why no "Display by release date" option?

Try looking for a specific song without knowing the name of the artist that has lots of results: try finding "Vacation" by Widespread Panic by typing "vacation". There are 150+ results (including songs that have "vacation" in the ALBUM TITLE even when you search by song title! I believe that earlier versions allowed you to at least alphabetize the song/artist/album columns, but no more.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep.

I also wish iOS app store let me add items to wishlist. There's no easy way to mark apps (or other) for future interest. It's buy it or forget it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded pretty much immediately after starting this thread, and in retrospect have one and only one BIG problem with iTunes 11 -- the search text box no longer acts as a filter-- it act like a Google search instead. Before I was able to put some key words like say: Beatles AAC and would get all Beatles track that weren't Apple Lossless. Now the only way I can do the same thing is by creating a smart playlist, which is a ridiculous way to do a one time search. It is especially a pain when searching through the podcast directory.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does this thing allow you to set up more than one music file. I'm sharing this with someone else and I'd like to keep my music separate from hers, since she likes a lot of country which I don't? Also, can you setup more than one than Itunes store account from the same computer, since I want to use the one computer to service two separate IPODS?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Im not sure what youre asking Edwin, by "more an one music file"? You can use separate user login accounts on the same Mac. That should give each user a unique iTunes setup Use playlists Different sync settings for each iOS device Can login and out of multiple iTunes accounts.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
One thing I just noticed with the new iTunes, you now have the option of down sampling higher bit rate songs to not only 128 kbps but also 192 and 256 files. -Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Managing iPhone and iPad has you swooping the mouse back and forth between the Library button on the left and Devices button on the right. Everything takes more mouse swiping and clicks than it did before. Information is hidden, rather than being apparent. I gave it a few weeks, but I don't get it. I can't say it was a good upgrade: I turned the sidebar back on. I'm not sure what to make of it. This is Apple's flagship app. It's the centerpiece everything. And they made it worse. Syncing has also been much worse since either iOS6 or iTunes 11. Devices fail to appear for no reason. Devices fail to sync for no reason. This is for four ios devices on two Macs. Syncing is no longer trustworthy. I have to manually sync every device, or it can go weeks without a backup.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker
One thing I just noticed with the new iTunes, you now have the option of down sampling higher bit rate songs to not only 128 kbps but also 192 and 256 files.
-Keith
That's been there for a while.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Yes, every user has their own library by default. You can set up a shared library but it takes some doing,
So if I set up an itunes account for myself, it creates a unique library attached to that account? I don't want a shared library. I want two separate libraries but I don't feel like setting up another user on my PC.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No, don't think so. iTunes accounts are for shopping and syncing and hom sharing. I switch between my account and my wife's iTunes account on my machine and it has no effect on my library. But each device that syncs has separate settings. Sounds like you want to push a button and have iTunes swap out one set of music/books/movies/podcasts for another, in the same user account. I don't there's a way to do that. But I've not tried. Perhaps Music Match has extra powers for that. But user switching seems an easy fix. And that separates everything, files, folders, even apps. And it's pretty easy. You could buy a separate PC, install the detestable library on it, and use KVM switches to get the push-button library change you need :)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Edwin-S said:
So if I set up an itunes account for myself, it creates a unique library attached to that account? I don't want a shared library. I want two separate libraries but I don't feel like setting up another user on my PC.
I don't believe that he was referring to an iTunes account. Mac OS X has the ability to create multiple user accounts (System Preferences / System group / Accounts). These are local to your computer. Each account has its own home directory and subdirectories, and unless you make an effort to share files, most of them are hidden from other users. If you create a new user account on your Mac, then run iTunes while logged into that account, iTunes will set up a new library there. If you're looking for a completely independent library with little or no interaction with the main one (as though you had two computers), setting up and using a second account might be a way to do it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to change all the songs in iTunes to "English" for VoiceOver on a Shuffle? I have TONS of European music in my library and the "Automatic" setting (default) is sometimes TOO accurate and I still can't figure out what I'm listening to! The English setting is much easier to figure out, even though the pronounciation isn't quite as accurate.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by EricSchulz
Is there a way to change all the songs in iTunes to "English" for VoiceOver on a Shuffle? I have TONS of European music in my library and the "Automatic" setting (default) is sometimes TOO accurate and I still can't figure out what I'm listening to! The English setting is much easier to figure out, even though the pronounciation isn't quite as accurate.
Is this what you are looking for? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3494
-Keith

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Keith, that's what I'm looking for, but to make English the default VoiceOver language for ALL my songs..."Automatic" is the default and I have some CD's from France/Germany/UK where the songs are in English by English-speaking performers but gets "read" in another language! Given that these are mostly compilation CD's I'm trying to figure out how it is I'm listening to! Same goes for the foreign language tracks that I find easier to fugure out when the English "voice" reads it back...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
General iTunes Q: I have a USB disk that has many MP3s on it. Is there a way to make iTunes see those MP3s and play them (preferably on shuffle) without importing them into the library first? Is there a better MP3 player jukebox for OSX that will do it if iTunes won't?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks