What's new

It's TRUE: HD DVD supports 1080i via Component Video, not just HDMI (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Yeah, I'd be curious to see what you all think.

The analog component outs aren't affected by the downsampling issue on these particular titles. None of the HD-DVDs that are out now use the ICT flag to force the downconversion, so you can view full 1080i via component.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Hence this thread. Any word on when / if the ICT flag will be used?

(The sticky thread on the forum is still misleading... the subject on it needs to be changed...)

- Steve

Bill Hunt

Insider
Warner won't say on or off the record. I suspect they won't on catalog titles, but they MIGHT on new day and date releases.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Then they lose sales on new day/date releases. Pretty simple, actually.

I mean, come on... how many people even know how they would begin to copy HD-DVD via analog component video? I'm a pretty high-tech guy, and I certainly don't.

- Steve

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Simple ... you hook up your $5000 JVC WVHS vcr and record a film in HD on two $50 WVHS tapes.

:)

Then you marvel at the 720 x 1080i images that you recorded and 2.0 audio.

Regards

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

Dammit, just as I predicted way back in the original HD-DVD/Bluray thread. *grumble*

These are the same bugs we saw with many standard DVD players over the last decade - I *knew* it would carry over to the HD formats. :angry:

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I am super glad people are picking up this player.
I am super glad I am not one of them.
I am super glad people can part out this player and make most of their money back.
I am super glad Gen II's are coming.
&
I'll be super glad to see the Gen I maga-multi's.

Any one know if analog component video out can handle 1080p?
Thanks.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

My understanding is....NO. At least, AACS does not allow 1080p over component, ever (regardless of ITC). 1080P willl only be available over digital ouputs (for both HD DVD and BD).

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong, but I believe this is accurate.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I KNEW the advent of lossless or higher bit rate wouldn't end the DTS/DD debate...

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

So you watch no TV, no HDTV, no game systems, no satellite, no VHS, and an extremely limited amount of DVDs.

It's a cult I tell ya. :)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Huh?
Dolby Plus is backwards compatible with Dolby Digital. The Plus decoders are supposed to downconvert them to 640kbps AC-3 streams.
Why convert/reconvert to DTS? That's like converting the VC-1 to MPEG2.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It not that I dont watch movies that are not in DTS. It that I would prefere to watch my movies in DTS and would rather not listen to Dolby Digital. I have a number of Laser Disc and DVD movies that only have Dolby tracks and I do still watch them. I still have VHS but I really dont watch them much. Its not a DTS thing, its more like a thing of getting better quality from DVD or HBO, Starz or a few of the HD channels I get on cable.

I have been sold on DTS and unless I feel DTS has gone down the toilet and Dobly has truely replaced them. I will continue to prefer DTS over Dolby, and if they ever do step up and offer a biatchen surround platform I will be more than happy to start building a Dolby catalog instead. Its all about using the best audio format and IMHO DTS is the best at this moment in time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am just wondering why it is that Toshiba is the only equipment manufacturer that is making HD-DVD players. I have gone from Blu-ray only to getting tired of waiting for Blu-ray and may just go ahead and buy HD-DVD if it wins the war. One of my problems is that no one else like Pioneer, Denon, Panisonic, Marantz or anyone else is making HD-DVD players. Kinda makes you wonder if Toshiba really wants to beat out Blu-ray. Why are they the only ones making an HD-DVD player? Would love to hear theories on this or facts if anyone has them to share?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good news! Those people who tell me they really don't want to blow up my house are truthful: the house is still there. Yet I only wish they removed the Semtex charge they put at the foundation and/or those wires leading to it....

Point is: if the studios don't want to use the resolution degrading, why isn't the possibility still there? And, worse, why was it agreed upon only recently?

The ICT-bit is one of the very recent additions to the official specs!

So, in my opinion the title of this thread is correct, but the message could be misleading: of course HD DVD and Blue-Ray support high-res. And via other outputs than HDMI too.

But here is the bad - and most important - news: it certainly also supports the ICT-bit. OK, some studios say they won't use it (for now?). So what?

Of course studios (just like Sony "rootkit" BMG) never ever lie to us consumers.

It's still TRUE: HD DVD and Blue-Ray can selectively limit the resolution via Component Video, forcing high-res via HDMI only.

Cees

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Lossless audio formats are just around the corner and yet people still keep debating the perceived differences between DTS and Dolby Digital.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I'm just telling you how Toshiba implemented it.

- Steve

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, so if you're a DTS fanatic, even though the discs may be DD, the output over optical and coax will be DTS! :laugh:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Personally, I am using the 5.1 inputs on my receiver so there is no re-encoding step. And it sounds sweeeeeet.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks