What's new

It's PAID! Not PAYED! PAID! (2 Viewers)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My ex used to get PISSED if someone said "a whole 'nother"

I'd tell you more about her, but that's a whole 'nother story. :D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but isn't the stationery stationary? :)

I use the 'a' in paper to associate it with stationery. I know it is bad, but it works for me.

Glenn

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Hey, whatever works! My dad has always done funny things with words (I think there's a term for this) just to be kind of silly with the kids and this basically helped me be a better speller. Most times he would break apart the word into chunks and I can remember looking at words in grade school and either "chunking" them or just pronouncing them strangely. Later in college I learned these were mnemonic devices. I just had to do one for "mnemonic" :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
English is technically my second language and even I'm shocked by how many mistakes are routinely made by people for whom English is supposedly their FIRST and ONLY language! But you wouldn't know it by the way they write! :D

As for those who think spelling is not all that important on the Internet, you'd better hope you never show up for a job interview with me as the interviewer. I'm the kind of person who would most likely judge your writing skills based on how you generally express yourself on public forums.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And the rest of the world doesn't make misspellings in their own language? :confused:

2 big reasons why there are so many misspellings in the English language, is:
1.) Laziness
and
2.) The language has been so bastardized that it no longer resembles a language anymore.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Okay - just had to add one more that I've seen on this site quite a bit...

climactic - consisting of or causing a climax; "a climactic development"

climatic - of or relating to a climate; "climatic changes"

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Since I love to visit courthouses and state capitol buildings I've had to learn the difference between:

capitol: A building of state government

capital: A city serving as a seat of government

An easy way to remember the "o" in capitol is that those buildings usually have a dome.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
How about could of? As in I could of paid less for my system?

I find that I am constantly noticing spelling errors but try to relax and not let it bug me. Life is too short to wear yourself into a frazzle over something that will never change.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know people say it that way, but I think they write it because they don't realize what they are really saying.

Shortening "could have" into "Could've" DOES sound a lot like "could of", hence people write what they are hearing and not realizing that they are actually speaking it correctly...they're just not writting it correctly.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I get that, but it does still annoy me. A similar thing is people who write "come on" as "common". I actually once got into a heated argument that the "proper" contraction for that is "c'mon", and that seeing "common" used like that just stopped the reading dead.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I would be more than happy to oblige your request. ;) Equivalent alternatives may be arranged. :D

Ellen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ellen
One that I see a lot recently is different to. It drives me nuts. Where on earth did that come from? Shouldn't it be different from?

I also cringe every time I see being that and being as.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I use "I'm" rather than "I Am" quite a bit in my posts, that is apparently poo-pooed in most literate circles.

.....poo-pooed?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks