What's new

It's PAID! Not PAYED! PAID! (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As a college freshman I took a class called Grammar for Journalists. It was one of a few weeding out courses for students who wanted to be in the School of Journalism. It amazed me how sharply divided the class of about 400 was on the subject. There were people who either got it or didn't and it seemed no amount of instruction seemed to help the people who didn't. You could probably do brain research on the reasons...

That said, I know there are excellent writers who are horrible at spelling and grammar, just like there are films that are technically perfect but lacking in soul. If it came down to having to choose, I would choose having the soul over the technical chops. I find I have more of the latter :frowning:

Paul_Tesh

Auditioning
I definately agree with everyone. Grammer is also important besides spelling.

Two biggest pet peeves of mine.. heheh.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Drives me nuts when someone puts "your" instead of "you're"! Also when people say, for especially, "eck-specially", or they say, for often, "off-ten".

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Hey hey now! I pronounce "often" that way, but it is an acceptable pronunciation. It's just not as common.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oh no! Here we go again. A spelling/grammer thread devolves into a pronunciation thread and we get flooded by Canadians telling us all "aboot" how they don't say "aboot".

I'll be leaving this one alone for awhile, I've got to go "pahk my cah". ;)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Well as long as you don't pronounce "Peanuts" the way the Minnesota folks were on the Daily Show the other day. That "t" sound is kind of important to that word :D

My significant other is Thai and one time she asked me, "Do you want some fooght?". I was pretty sure it wasn't some kinky new request so I responded "Food?". She said, "No, fooght". We went round the merry go round a couple of time before I realized she was saying, "Do you want some Fruit?". Those "r"'s can be tough sometimes :)

Kenneth

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, as other have mentioned, Not only according to dictionary.com but also Websters and every other dictionary I looked in.

...iregarless it isn't useed in any of the sentance exampless that any of the dictionbaries that's I lokked inn offfer, they's always used "Paid" inn they're exampless.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
"Payed" is correct, but "Paid" is the more commonly used...as far as the most uncommon used spelling of the word, well that would be "Paiyed". :D

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

My English teachers at all levels would have had a fit if I used "PAYED" in place of "PAID", so that's the way it has to be.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Rediculous annoys the hell out of me. It seems like over the last couple of years I have seen the use of that spread more and more. Defanitely, or however that one is misspelled, bugs me also.

Of course, there are a few I don't get right. Is it satelite or satellite or are both wrong? I can never remember.

The supposedly episode of Friends made me acutely aware of that one. My mom is real bad about it. It used to never bother me until I saw that episode.

So what's the deal with often? Do some people not pronounce the t or something? How is Leila different?

MarcVH

Second Unit
One I see from a lot of people who otherwise seem to know better (and, coincidentally enough, is in this very forum in another thread) is the mixing up of "principal" and "principle."

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know this is corny, but it always helped me...

Only a principal can be your pal.

now if I only had a way to distinguish between 'stationery' and 'stationary' :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks