What's new

It's PAID! Not PAYED! PAID! (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I don't claim to be a spelling wizard, although I do ok, and I understand that not everyone brings the same command of the English language to the internet and that I should be tolerant and I am, but there is one word that is constantly misspelled and it drives me nuts. That word is PAID, the past tense of the word PAY. Like in "I paid $500 for my receiver", not "I payed $500 for my receiver".

I know it sounds like it ought to be "payed" but it isn't. It's another one of those quirks of the English language that I don't know how came to be.

There - that's off my chest. Please use "paid" instead of "payed". Thank you! Now I better spell check this so no one catches me in a misspelling.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Blah Blah Blah!!!

Did I spell that properly?:D

Din't U no dats da whey we speek on da net?

Brent

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
It seems Merriam-Webster thinks "payed" is an alternate spelling. Now I don't know if that's an original, alternate spelling, or it just came about because so many people started using it.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Like "you're and your", "base and bass" (esp on an audio forum), and "their, there, and they're" are some of the ones that bugs me. :angry:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
You can add the correct usage of 'to, too & two" to that list.

My personal spelling peeve is the misspelling of the word 'judgment', which is one of the most frequently misspelled words. Would you believe misspell is also frequently misspelled? :D

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I don't get hung up on how words are used because I deal a lot with people to whom English is their second or third language (besides that, I'm an engineer, so I would have to move to the land of black pots and kettles). So I'll cut them some slack if they want to be "scaring" instead of "scared".

One set of words I see misused a lot, not because of spelling but grammar, is affect and effect. One is a verb and the other a noun, so it is usually pretty glaring when they are interchanged.

Kenneth

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

"Looser" is my biggest peeve. I can understand mixing up words with the same pronunciation and different meanings, but mixing up words that have completely different pronunciations and different meanings just gets in my craw.

L-O-O-S-E-R means something is less tight.
L-O-S-E-R means one who is not a winner.
L-O-O-S-E means something that is not tight or to let go.
L-O-S-E means to not win or to misplace.

Edited for spelling.:b

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I have a saying"if you know what i meant,then its ok". I'm 52 years old,dont correct me.

RichP

Second Unit

I also have a saying...

"If you want to look like a fool in front of the entire Internet, then that's ok." :D

For better or worse, this forum is a written medium, not a spoken one. The shortcuts you can get away with when speaking simply do not work in a written medium. The horrible spelling and grammar that are sometimes seen on forums like this are akin to walking into a room full of strangers and stumbling over your words while drooling and saying, "Duhhhhhh," repeatedly. In short, no one would take you seriously or put any stock in anything you had to say. Why should it be any different here?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, both can be used as nouns and verbs, although their meanings are different:

affect (v) - to be a contributing factor
affect (n) - a shortening of "affectation" (rare)

effect (v) - to cause to happen (rare) as in "to effect a change"
effect (n) - the result of an action

In general, "affect" is the verb and "effect" is the noun, and people really shouldn't be using the interchangeably.

The spelling error that drives me up a wall is "rediculous". There is no "e" in "ridiculous". This is often made worse because it's often stressed, as in "that they expect us to pay this much is REDICULOUS!", making someone look even more stupid.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
OKay here is my biggest pet peeve of sayings that people use incorrectly...

I could care less

or

I couldn't care less...

In this case an expression which originally meant “it would be impossible for me to care less than I do because I do not care at all” is rendered senseless by being transformed into the now-common “I could care less.” Think about it: if you could care less, that means you care some.

This one drives me crazy!

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

* except when adressing your bitches, then it is also appropriate to use the form pizzayyyyed - especially if they aren't forthcoming with their earnings

Source: Pimp to English Dictionary; 4th edition

Brad :D

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I couldn't careless right now because I am carrying this expensive vase I don't want to drop :D

Don't hand me that vase because I could careless and drop it :p)

isle be weighting in the thyme out corner :laugh:

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks