What's new

It's Official: HD DVD and Blu-ray Can Limit High Resolution To HDMI Only (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The thread Title: "Re: It's Official: HD-DVD Is HDMI Only" is incorrect!

For those who don't have the new HD-DVD's, NO, they're not HDMI only! At least So far - So good!

All 6 new HD-DVD's, to date (including the 2 relaesed on 4/25/06), are not flagged for only the 480P component format. They will play full 1080i HDTV resolution from the component output of the HD-DVD player.

As stated in a prior thread:

I'm sure that enough "pirating" could make the studios make a firm decision for analog downconversion and they still may put the component 480P flag on first run blockbusters. Who knows? It's nice they are giving the new media enough rope, until the bad guys hang themselves, taking all the first adopters with them.:angry:

Paul

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes,

Administrators.....PLEASE CHANGE THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD. (sorry for the annoying caps)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Since HTF has refused to remove this thread as a sticky or correct the title for months now. Maybe someone from HTF would be kind enough to explain the motivation or reasoning behind this incorrectly named sticky?

That way people might stop wasting their time & yours having to post every few days; "change the thread title".

Hopefully, that would be helpful to all.

And, congrats at getting the site up & running. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out!

P.S. Love the new spell check!!!

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, the initial releases support 1080i...

DVDs initial releases were always 16x9 enhanced.
Things change for those who forget.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

The discs are mastered at 1080p. And as I understand it, AACS does NOT allow 1080p over component. The maximum HD DVD or Blu-ray can pass over component is 1080i.

Even if the whole ICT thing didn't even exist as a possibility, 1080p over component would never be an option for either format. So even the Samsung BD player that will output 1080p will only be able to do this if you are using a digital connection (ITC or not).

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

By initial I mean pretty much all DVDs were at first 16x9. Then companies like Paramount and even some Warner titles began using 4x3 LBX transfers. When Fox and Disney (even Criterion) arrived on the scene they were 4x3 ONLY. It took a LONG time before everyone began to support 16x9 transfers as the norm.

Things change. Today's releases support 1080i over component. Tomorrow's may not. The instant that "rips" start appearing online you can bet that HDMI connection becomes mandatory.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As I said in another thread: I would believe people who place a Semtex charge under my house, but vow not to use it, more readily, if they simply would remove the charge and/or the wires leading to it.

Point is: the official agreement about the ICT-bit was a rather recent one, not just something almost forgotten from the first drafts. It was insisted upon by the studios: the hardware manufacturers were very reluctant, almost hostile about it. But the studios wanted it badly.

So, quite frankly, I'm not very impressed that the first HD discs seem to have the ICT-bit set to false. And I'm also not impressed that 1080i and or 1080p can come out of the other outputs. Of course it can, technically.

But as long as the suppression logic is there, the format is basically crippled.

The thread starter used "HD-DVD" in a generic way, I believe. Because it can now easily be read wrongly, I changed the title to state the same position for HD-DVD and Blue-Ray, as well as clarify the meaning of the message.

-

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another reason why this once early adopter is staying on the sidelines while the industry and market determines which format is going to win and with what specifications before I start investing in a new player, processor and television.

Crawdaddy

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

While you're at it, you might want to change "HD-DVD" to "HD DVD" and "Blue Ray" to "Blu-ray". It would be a shame if the sticky thread (on the No.1 site for Home Cinema information/discussion on the web) had incorrect spellings of both format titles!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hooray for Hollywood!!!

I, for one, never saw "HD-DVD" as a "generic" term. I always thought, for these many months, of the false thread title as bashing one format over the other. I never thought the thread starter used HD-DVD, in any other way, than to identify HD-DVD. For one thing, the thread starter had no info on what BD would output at the time.
Why is this thread a sticky?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Ed :

The reason why you keep asking this same question, and getting no answer, is that there isn't one. Also, not to be rude [or contradictory], but the answer I'm about to give is the same one which has been given several times in the past few months here at HTF.

In principle, sure it's possible to push 60 MHz component video with a horizontal frequency of 67.5 kHz through the three YPrPb cables. That this is so can easily be seen from the fact that there are people with CRT computer monitors use higher resolutions than this, and video processors for CRT projectors which generate such an output.

On the other hand, those connexions are actually made in RGB-HV format, using five cables : this means that the synchronising signals are separate from the video signals, not combined with them as in the usual "component" YPrPb mode. The result is that the units at both ends have far more flexibility in timing and scan-structure.

In component format, the synchronising information has to be combined with the video information, and in order to sort it out again, the display unit has to have some idea what it's looking for : the input has to match some pre-determined pattern. Thus, for example, feeding 480p into a 480i television will result in two side-by-side pictures divided by a black bar which is the unused horizontal interval, and 720p may well show up as three side-by-side panels, because there is a rough match between what the TV is looking for and what it actually finds.

I'm not entirely certain that the current SMPTE recommendation even defines analog timings for "1080p" video [they have gone very digital in the last few years], but even if you did manage to fake up a set of timings, you would be very hard-pressed to find a consumer monitor which would recognise the signal as anything but a somewhat-defective 1080i signal.

Basically, the question does not arise in practice, so asking whether it is possible in theory gets you nowhere. In principle, it's possible to use a single hydrogen bomb to send a million tonnes of you-name-it to Mars, but nobody seems interested.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Gotcha.

Christopher just said much more than I could say from a technical perspective.

My non-technical take was that I wasn't sure, but figured it was possible. Otherwise, it wouldn't have made sense for AACS to forbid 1080p over component if it wasn't possible in the first place. So I just figured it was.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I’ve missed something in a post while the forum was only available sporadically, but I can’t understand why it makes any difference if 1080p can be carried over component cables or not.

Since there are no displays (at least as far as I am aware) that have component only inputs and can also display 1080p, the question seems to me to be moot.

No offense Ed, as you may be just curious as to the technical possibility (I’m sort of geek as far as understanding technical things for no reason myself).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes, technically component *can* carry 1080P. That's what used to come out the back of a Faroudja line-quadrupler.

The decision to limit component on both BD and HD DVD players to 1080I maximum was a decision to appease studio concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks