What's new

It's grillin' time.......... (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

Anybody try some of these recipies? I'm a big fan of game, but wonder if the low-fat nature of most game makes it a poor choice for grilling.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have a question. When grilling Salmon what do you do to keep it from falling apart and sticking. Should I put foil down and spray it with PAM or something. I love grilled Salmon but mine never turns out as good as I want it. How long per side when cooking? Any more tips appreciated

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
how funny, I grilled a brisket this weekend too.
I grill it on low on the upper rack for a couple hours, but I use a gas grill with a cast iron smoker box filled with wood pellets, so I can't really help you with your questions I'm afraid.

BTW, those out there with gas grills, the smoker box is the best invention EVAR. They're about 10$ at home depot and the wood chips/pellets are avalable everywhere.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I rarely get into the "after hours" section but this particular discussion caught my eye. Great recipes guys, I can't wait to try a few out.

The part that caught my attention as I read this was "it's grilling time ..again". I burn about four-five takes of propane a year, and usually grill year around... yes, I've even had to shovel the drive to grill :D ..my neighbors think I nuts, and I might be. My grill takes it all, fish, steaks, pork, softcrabs, you name it, I can grill it. I keep the grill in better shape than the yard :) ..I just realized I may need mental help :b

David, when grilling fish, use foil or those thin alum. pans you find at the grocey store. A little PAM, butter, or Italian Dressing in the bottom (pan) will keep it from sticking, also, you should never have to turn it over (skin side down always). Make sure the filets are not too thick and you are cooking on the middle rack (if possible)and cover w/foil to prevent from drying out. After about 15 min. I will open up and add a little butter/sauce/flavor then cover back. It may take a little longer to cook, but it should come out really good.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wonder.. we should also ask what kind of equipment people have.
I'm poor and use a charbroil. :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The best way to keep salmon (or any fish) from sticking is to coat it with oil and leave it alone. There is a point where it goes from sticking to the grate to loosening up. The biggest mistake is to turn it before that point. If you have to, lower the cooking temp so it does not burn before it loosens up. This is a good tip for all cooking, not just grilling and not just fish. Always leave the meat until a crust is seared and it loosens up from the pan, otherwise you will tear it.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
David --

One thing I do that seems to help from tearing the salmon up is keep it skin side down for the first 7-10 minutes of cooking. That way it's burning the skin, but still cooking the fish. Then, when I flip the fish over, the skin peels off with ease. Now that the salmon is laying fish side down, don't mess with it until you're sure it's ready to come off. (Takes practice) The more you move it, the more it will split or shred. I'm to the point where I only have to move it to flip it, and once to pull it.

Alex --

You bought that grill last year?! I hope that picture was when it was brand new, or you aren't getting your money's worth! :)

Doug
(Has a Weber gas, a Weber charcoal, a Smokey Joe, and an Outdoor Fireplace and Grill. Just thinking of buying a smoker too.)

Pamela

Supporting Actor

For delicious salmon, without any hassles, try cedar planks. Brush a little oil on it, sprinkle some seasoning and you get some mighty tasty fish!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Here's a very simple and tasty sauce for marinating & basting chicken breasts:

Soy sauce
Chili oil (you can probably substitute crushed red pepper)
Sesame oil (very strong, don't use too much)
Sesame seeds
Black pepper
a bit of garlic powder or minced garlic

The key is finding a good soy sauce, one without corn syrup and caramel coloring. Kikkoman is good, for a national brand. A good organic Tamari is even better.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Hmm, I was thinking of getting a charcoal grill to go along with my gas, but I may have to give that product a try 1st.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We love grillin pork tenderloins on the grill. We buy the big 2 pack at Sam's Club. Yum!

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Those are some great tips. Sounds like I am flipping to much right now. I think I will try some this weekend and surprise my wife. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You should only have to flip it once. This goes for all cuts of meat. The only reason to touch a piece being grilled is to move it 45 degrees to get cool crosshatch grill marks.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
resurrections from 2004,

I don't do propane, I do Wood Pellet, or Hardwood or charcoal, so yester day was, Traeger Day and I had to work, so today I am over compensating

also fixing for the week, as this will be packaged for lunches and suppers, as we work opposite shifts

Attachments

• 1621208589846.png
    1621208589846.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I grilled some sirloin steaks for lunch. Coated both sides with olive oil and rubbed on salt and Cavender’s Greek seasoning (my wife likes it) then let them sit at room temp for 30 minutes before putting them on the grill. They turned out pretty well although I misjudged my timing and accidentally cooked them almost well done instead of medium-well like I was aiming for. They still got eaten.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I grilled some sirloin steaks for lunch. Coated both sides with olive oil and rubbed on salt and Cavender’s Greek seasoning (my wife likes it) then let them sit at room temp for 30 minutes before putting them on the grill. They turned out pretty well although I misjudged my timing and accidentally cooked them almost well done instead of medium-well like I was aiming for. They still got eaten.

I used to room-temp my steaks before cooking them, but I recently started something I saw on America's Test Kitchen. They suggest putting it in the freezer about half an hour before grilling so that the center does not get done too fast while grilling over high heat (I use a Weber Kettle charcoal grill). I've done this with a couple of 1-1/2" strip steaks and they came out great.

I have been getting more serious about grilling recently and I bought a ThermoPro TP25 500ft Wireless Bluetooth Meat Thermometer with 4 Temperature Probes for determining doneness. I wish I had done this years ago. The probe connects to a base unit which then connects via Bluetooth to my iPhone. I can monitor the cook while staying inside, and it gives me an alarm as I near the target temperature.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve got some different cuts of ribs slow roasting in the oven and will finish them on the grill later today!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.