What's new

It's going to be a fun weekend! (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I decided the deal on the Panny AE900U was too good to pass up at Tiger Direct and since I live in Miami, where they have a couple of B&M stores, I'm heading out there on Friday to pick one up along with a cheap Elite electric 100inch screen (199!)

I grew tired of waiting for my ancient Toshiba Widescreen TV to bite the dust (the first widescreen that Toshiba sold back in 94..still going strong) so I'm going to go for it! I can't wait to see xbox 360 games in high def 100 inch glory!

Pics will be taken...oh yes they will be taken!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I envy you the excitement of a new system and that 100 inch screen. :)

I retired my vintage Toshiba widescreen CRT (which came with an anamorphic widescreen LD of The Fugitive :D) last year, for similar reasons. (Actually I had picked up a GE flat-panel LCD TV/PC monitor for use in the home office that I'm still building, and I set it up temporarily in the living room on a box next to the Toshiba so I could check out this new-fangled HD service from my cable company. After a week with the 27" HD LCD sitting next to the 56" RPTV I couldn't stand looking at the Tosh and was watching everything on the LCD anyway. :))

In the event I'm glad things worked out the way they did because I was able to donate the still-working Tosh to a local charity - and they came and hauled its 300 lb. bulk out of my third-floor walk up. If I'd waited until it died I would have been responsible for disposing of the beast and having it hauled away and that would have cost me.

I still have fond memories of the old Tosh - but I much prefer the 56" JVC H-DILA that replaced it. (My condo is too small and the room arrangement and lighting not right for a front projection system - more's the pity.)

Regards,

Joe

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Hey Joe! I got that LD as well as Free Willy and much to my surprise a few months later Unforgiven and Grumpy Old Men showed up at my doorstep courtesy of Toshiba! Until I saw my first DVD, those anamorphic LDs were amazing! Sounds like we have the same TV... TW56D...

And to think the engineers at work (I work at a TV station) told me it would burn out in 5 years...ha! I somehow feel that setting it up with the VE Laserdisc...yes it was a long time ago...as soon as I took it out of the box had a lot to do with the longevity... I still remember how high the video and black levels were when it arrived.. it's no wonder most J6P big screens fizzle out after a few years!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you're willing to wait a few days you could probably save about $100 at Projector People.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Nope...lol Too much waiting already...to give you an idea of how long I've been planning, when I started the Infocus X1 was making everyone's list...lol

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
great little projector!! Congrats!
Manny, I also sent you a PM

Regards
Gregg

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Well, it's still going to be a fun weekend, but not as muchas i thought... seems the B&M Tigerdirect store did not have the AE900U, so I had to order online... darn.

But I downloaded the owner's manual and the rebate form, plus I've started running all the wires to and from the rack...so that will be all the fun I'll have this weekend.. next weekend I'll have the PJ to install...

there will be pics...oh yes...there WILL be pics...

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
Oh well, a couple more days won't kill ya... or maybe it will.

I just got the latest copy of Sound and Vision. They tested eight(I think) "budget" 720p projectors, the cheapest of which was the Panny 900u. They had great things to say about it and it was voted best buy.
This seals my decision as the projector to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks