What's new

It's All Happening At The Zoo (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The otters were quite activate during today's visit. The exhibit has glass, so it does rob a little of the contrast.

451A7864-XL.jpg

451A7870-XL.jpg

The grizzly "cubs" are getting bigger, but are still playful. This is their 2nd year at our zoo.

451A8007-XL.jpg

I just liked the way this shot turned out.

451A8033-XL.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have enjoyed this thread for a long time...without the chance to contribute. I have no zoo really near me.

But I recently took a trip to Walt Disney World and spent a day at their Animal Kingdom.

My pictures pale in comparison to what you fellas routinely post here...but I felt like wanting to contribute, too.

First, they have this fake photo safari in which the vehicle is constantly shaking and bumping around and there are too many people sitting around you:

gallery_286742_34_335737.jpg

gallery_286742_34_13889.jpg

gallery_286742_34_300165.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
The Dangers of Being a Wildlife Photographer...

I don't think this has been posted here before. It is quite an interesting situation for the photog. Makes you wonder what YOU would do in this situation
That is a great video, Mike! Thanks for sharing. Bull elk can be quite "frisky" during the fall rut. The funniest thing was that the photographer actually was taking shots of the elk when he did not need to protect himself!

I've never had quite that close of an encounter, but once at Yellowstone did have a cow elk sneak up behind me and bugle while I was taking photos of her calf, from what I thought was a safe distance. There was another cow nearby who we thought the calf belonged to. We never saw her before she bugled, and she scared the crap out of us!

I relayed our grizzly bear encounter from last summer in the Glacier Park thread I started in this section. My wife and I were hiking a trail when I walked to within 10-15 feet of a grizzly bear hidden in the brush just off the trail. Luckily, he was more interested in digging for food than us, so we were able to slowly back away. I took this shot after backing off to a safer distance.

IMG_4398-XL.jpg

We did encounter this bad boy in the parking lot of our lodging at Yellowstone during our last visit. We gave him a wide berth (I was in my car before taking this shot).

IMG_1888-L.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We finally had a nice day on the weekend after a long, hard winter. So, we decided to walk around the zoo for a couple of hours. Here are a few shots from today's visit.

451A9198-XL.jpg

L'amour
451A9167-XL.jpg

451A9232-XL.jpg

This wolverine had a better day than those in Indianapolis playing basketball :(
451A9302-XL.jpg

451A9329-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
From our visit over the holiday weekend. A few of the animals that are usually in hiding were out.

Bearcat
451A9590-L.jpg

Tree kangaroo
451A9661-L.jpg

Red panda
451A9428-L.jpg

Baby warthogs
451A9484-L.jpg

Not a great shot here, but the new lion exhibit has very thick glass that is very difficult to shoot through. This is the best shot I have been able to capture since the exhibit opened a few years ago.

451A9453-L.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
NICE! I've never seen a bearcat in a zoo, that must've been cool. Love Red Pandas in general too, cool shot!
Thanks, Sam. The bearcat has always been either hiding up a tree or curled up in its den whenever we visit, so it was treat to finally see it out walking around. It's rare that we see the red pandas out, either, as they spend most of their day the same way. I only got a better shot of one once -- about two years ago (see below).

451A0574-L.jpg

BTW, is the admin title new for you here? I do not recall seeing it before. If so, congrats!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Haha yeah, I'm still wearing my training wheels tho. =) I'm honored to serve HTF in this capacity and trying to be just a smiiiidge less of a noodge about my posting style. Thanks for the kudos!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So here I am again...totally making an off-topic post. I apologize in advance.

But here was this amazing animal (my dog Ike) in the "zoo" (informally known as my local park) the other day:

gallery_286742_34_2280951.jpg

I just wanted to share it with you guys...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We made a short visit to the zoo last Sunday -- they were having several sponsored walks, so it was too crowded for us to stay very long (it's usually not busy when they open at 9am). Here are a few things of interest we saw:

African pelican -- a new exhibit since our last visit in May
451A0764-XL.jpg

Green heron that was hanging out in the new African pelican area
451A0761-XL.jpg

Bush dogs
451A0804-XL.jpg

Wolverine on the prowl. Getting near football season. Go Blue!
451A0794-XL.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from today's visit:

A new addition -- a fennec fox, one of three that were recently rescued.
451A0838-L.jpg

Tiger in its den
451A0827-L.jpg

Couldn't identify this new addition -- appears to be some sort of stork
451A0847-L.jpg

The grizzly "cubs" are getting quite big!
451A0859-L.jpg

Bush dog on the run
451A0917-L.jpg

The anteater isn't going to find food there!
451A0890-L.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks