What's new

It's All Happening At The Zoo (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have you Cameron? I've never used Lightroom either.

I use the Canon EOS utility to offload the images I shoot.

But it sure would be cool to have a quick and easy way to delete the chaff from the wheat before I go into PhotoShop or send the images off to someone else..

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've seen it in use by a friend who is a photojournalism professor, but frankly I don't shoot large quantities of images frequently enough to justify owning it (Lightroom is good enough for my purposes). I think about Photo Mechanic every time when I'm sifting through hundreds of images though. :D

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I use Aperture on my Mac. It's a newer iMac with 1TB of flash storage (SSD) so it's pretty quick. I can pull 500 images into a new project and they are ready to be viewed/sorted (instantly) as they are importing. I've set up a custom key combination that allows me to, not only delete the preview version of a "bad" image, but also the original file too. Yesterday, I went through those 200+ zoo images in about 5 minutes to identify my "keepers". Along the way, I flagged the ones that I wanted to edit right away. Then, all of my needed editing tools are at my fingertips (including a host of third-party plug-ins).

I've played with Lightroom (several years ago) and didn't care for it. I'll only stop using Aperture when it is pried from my cold dead hands.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
BTW, a bit off topic but.. One of the plug-ins I use in Aperture is Snapheal Pro:

http://macphun.com/snapheal

I used Snapheal extensively to take this heavily scratched and damaged B&W print from 1961:

i-rksb7XK.jpg

And turn it into this:

i-CzNKGb6.jpg

That's me on the far right (in the bomber jacket), age 5! :)

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
Looks like you were contending with a really bright sun, Scott.
Yes, Mike. It was a beautiful day to walk around the zoo, but tough for photography. We arrived when the zoo opened at 9am to beat the traffic and crowds, but the sun was still quite bright.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Fantastic, Scott!

And I especially love the fourth one, the "Siamese twins"

Cees

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cees Alons said:
Fantastic, Scott!

And I especially love the fourth one, the "Siamese twins"

Cees

Thanks, Cees. I really liked that pose by the pelicans, too. Upon reviewing the image, though, I wish I'd stopped down the lens more for additional depth of field to get the 2nd pelican in sharper focus.

cinemiracle said:
What has this zoo topic got to do with home theatre forum??????????????????????

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Peter. This area is called "Other Diversions", which has several non home theater areas. Quite a few long time members (including me) are avid photographers, so the forum owners have kindly included a photography area for us to share. If you look through this subforum, you will see that one of the owners has also used this area to tap the photography knowledge of the membership for advice at times. If you are not interested in photography, nobody is forcing you to read the threads.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. Welcome, Peter!

:welcome:

What Scott says is 100% accurate. You may also want to read the HTF Mission Statement (link in my signature) to get an idea of the type of forum the HTF is all about.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Detroit Zoo opened a beautiful new grey wolf exhibit a couple of weeks ago. Today was our first visit since the grand opening, although we have been watching the progress of it being built since last fall. The exhibit has two wolves -- a black male and a white female. We were able to get a good look at the female, but the male was lying down in the brush both times we went by.

NC7A0516-X2.jpg

NC7A0461-X2.jpg

The wild night herons have not left their nesting area yet.

NC7A0444-X2.jpg

One of the heron chicks was out and about

NC7A0448-X2.jpg

A few other nice moments...

NC7A0418-X2.jpg

NC7A0492-X2.jpg

NC7A0471-X2.jpg

NC7A0420-X2.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We visited again this morning, as I wanted to try out my new Canon 1.4x III teleconvertor. It was quite hot and humid, though, so most of the animals were way back in the shade trying to stay cool. We didn't stay too long, but here are a few shots that I liked.

The female from the new gray wolf exhibit. The male was nowhere to be seen.

NC7A0732-X2.jpg

One of the three grizzly brothers

NC7A0726-X2.jpg

The young zebra that was born at the zoo several months ago. This one was taken with the teleconvertor.

NC7A0710-X2.jpg

prairie dog

NC7A0731-X2.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What I don't get is how you got the prairie dog to face so nicely into the sun like that, Scott?!?
confused-smiley-013.gif

:biggrin:

I really like that shot. Looks like the teleconverter is doing nice things for you. Would you explain to this layman what a teleconverter does? I saw your shot of the heron in the GAS list thread. It looks like maybe it just extends your telephoto just a bit more? Does it attach between the lens and the camera body? [No making fun of the ignorant! :laugh: ]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
What I don't get is how you got the prairie dog to face so nicely into the sun like that, Scott?!?
confused-smiley-013.gif

:biggrin:

I really like that shot. Looks like the teleconverter is doing nice things for you. Would you explain to this layman what a teleconverter does? I saw your shot of the heron in the GAS list thread. It looks like maybe it just extends your telephoto just a bit more? Does it attach between the lens and the camera body? [No making fun of the ignorant! :laugh: ]

Mike,

We go to the zoo so much now that the animals have become willing models. :lol: Seriously, sometimes you get lucky with the lighting, and sometimes I just put the camera down because the lighting is so poor. This just happened to be the former. Fortunately, many of the exhibits at our zoo have multiple viewing angles so you can get better directional lighting by walking around. We always go in the morning, so I know the best angles to shoot from at most of the exhibits.I just need the animals to cooperate and be in the proper place in the exhibit.

As for the teleconvertor, you are correct -- it is an adapter with its own lens elements that will magnify the image from your lens to the sensor. The TC mounts between the lens and the camera body. A 1.4x convertor will magnify the image by 1.4, so in this case it turns my 100-400mm lens into a 140-560mm lens when attached. The downside is that you lose one stop of light, so in this case my 100-400mm lens's maximum aperture changes from f/5.6 to f/8. Many camera bodies will only auto focus with a lens of f/5.6 or faster, but fortunately both of my Canon bodies will still auto focus with an f/8 lens, but only using the center focus point.

A 2.0x teleconvertor will double the magnification of a lens, but at a cost of two stops of light. So those only generally get used with a faster telephoto lens, such as a 70-200mm f/2.8 or 500mm f/4 prime. If I tried to attach a 2x TC to my 100-400mm f/5.6 lens, it would become a 200-800mm f/11 lens, which would not let in very much light and also wouldn't auto focus. 2x convertors will also negatively affect image quality more, too.

In the past, I only used a 1.4x TC on two of my faster telephoto lenses -- a 70-200mm f/4 and 135mm f/2 -- because of limitations with my camera body, plus the older version of my 100-400mm just wouldn't give good results with a TC attached. The new version of the lens performs much, much better with a 1.4x TC, so I decided to upgrade from my several years old (and discontinued) third party TC to Canon's latest model.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow. I actually understood all that! That's quite an accomplishment! :biggrin:

Thanks, teacher! :thumbsup:

So you actually took off the lens (and teleconverter) from the camera--reattached the lens--and were able to get a comparison shot with that heron without it flying off?!?

Pretty fancy shooting, mister!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike,

This colony of night herons has been returning to nest at our Detroit Zoo for about 10 years, and they are very acclimated to people. They nest in the same tree every year -- there were over 40 nests this year. The birds pretty much move around at their own leisure, and this particular heron wasn't in any hurry to go anywhere. The biggest danger is avoiding getting "bombed" by the herons, as the area underneath their nesting tree is covered with bird droppings. We give that area a wide berth as we walk by. :lol:

The zoo has built a couple of large marsh areas -- one with a nice floating boardwalk -- to attract migratory waterfowl. At different times, we'll seen great blue herons, cormorants, swans, ducks, and geese in the marshes. Here is a great blue heron from yesterday:

NC7A0688-X2.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know why you couldn't get the great blue heron to face a bit more into the sunlight, Scott! :laugh:

I'm glad the night heron was willing to help you provide that comparison shot. :biggrin: Do you recall if you had your 100-400L II fully extended for that shot? And you left your f-stop the same (which is why the non-TC shot is a little brighter?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks