What's new

It's about time to go Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be curious to see if any lower cost 2nd generation BR products are announced at CES. The format doesn't look it'll be what was promised until after the middle of next year.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No 5.1 Analog outs kills the PS3 for me. I have no plans to go HDMI so I need the analog connections.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I plan on picking up a Panasonic player in the next few weeks becaue of the eventual update for the advanced audio codecs

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, my wife just got a call from her dad he's dropping off a Xmas check for us to spend on eachother. So, guess what my wife is getting me for Xmas in the next couple of days.

Her direct quote "It's smart to invest in both formats". Yeah, I just about fell over.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I don't know yet.

I have no research into these players and there's quite a few out there and it seems the local store's carry only Sony or Sammy. Can't find the Panny anywhere.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does your receiver have 5.1 analog inputs or 7.1 analog? I don't know of many that have the latter but if you are planning on using analog and not hdmi for some time, I know of only the one BR player that has analog 7.1 out.

Now that I think about it... as an experiment, would it be possible to use 2 amps/receivers to do the following.... with the above 7.1 analog player, hook up 5.1 to receiver #1 and then hook up the remaining 2 channels to a second receiver to get the full 7.1, should such a title ever come out on blu-ray. I know that The Descent will have pcm 6.1 sound.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks Dave, so does my father-in-all and he's Xmas surprise.

But now, I need to find an HDMI switcher, a 5.1 analog switcher, two HDMI cables and two sets of 5.1 analog cables before I can wire anything up. This is going to get a bit involved.

Neil, I'm 5.1 only, no 7.1 here.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Neil,

Why use a second receiver for that? A simple (stereo-) end-amplifier will do the trick.

Cees

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, that's kind of what I meant, just a second unit to handle the power and additional 2 speakers.

Thanks,

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
A week ago I took the plunge and bought a PS3. I picked up Black Hawk Down and Underworld: Evolution at the same time. Man, I love my PS3 and Black Hawk Down looks fantastic! Since then I've bought Crank, The Punisher, Stargate, A Knight's Tale, Speed, and Resident Evil: Apocalypse. I'm so glad I've added Blu-Ray to my HT!!

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
well, i finally pulled the trigger.......... and bought my first blue ray movie. purchased pearl harbor WOO WOO! now all i need is a player. next week..... god i love tax time.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Be sure to check out this thread before you open up that Stargate release. Seems as those some of the subtitles are missing from the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks