What's new

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION) coming October 31 from Paramount! (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
And it's in color!

I hope that's not an indication of anything to come...

PS - Too bad they couldn't have used this for the cover art:

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I like that poster as well. But with a popular title like this, they have to appeal to the broadest audience of the film. And the famous shot of the family hugging is more likely to be noticed by average consumers.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I currently have it on pre-order from Amazon. I'm hoping there's a review of it before it's released so I can decide if I really want this new edition.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Davis DVD is reporting today that the extras on IAWL are going to be the exact same extras already on the Silver Screen edition. So the only reason to upgrade is if restoration Robert referred to fixes the previously mentioned problems, which obviously we won't know until it's released. Too bad they couldn't include something like the audio version of the short story "The Greatest Gift" by Phillip Van Doren Stern--that would seem more fitting for a 60th Anniversary of a great movie like this. Oh well, I guess I'll keep the one I have.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
I'm just hoping this version is properly letterboxed this time and not the pan & scan travesties that have been issued before.

(waits for it)

Ha! Gotcha! :D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! If that's true about the extras, Paramount has dipped to a new low.

Good job guys! Keep up the good work! :frowning:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I agree. I have the old DVD, and I usually watch it on TV instead anyway. NBC (and CBC here in Canada) play it every year, and there's something sort of traditional about watching it on TV. If Paramount gave us more bonus material, I'd have no problem upgrading. Especially considering it's the 60th Anniversary!! But as of now, I'll stick with the one I own. No sale for me.

Andy

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hope someone gets a review copy soon. I don't see a reason to double dip for this one over the Silver Screen edition, which in my opinion is very good. However, if they have truly done a restoration on it, I would then double dip.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Have Paramount released anything else under the heading "Special Collector's Edition" that was, in fact, bare bones? It seems really strange to use that description on something so ordinary. Also, wasn't it announced years ago that deleted scenes for the film had been discovered? Creating special features for this film should have been quite straightforward - featurettes with critics and filmmmakers and a commentary by a Capra expert would have made this release essential for fans, so unless the transfers blows the previous Republic release away, then why should anyone bother unless the don't own it?

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I have the silver screen classics version and I'm quite happy with it. I'm a bit tired of films being repackaged and re-released. Especially with HD-DVD about to break into the mainstream which would make all of these dvd's that a lot of people are rebuying worthless.

I have only purchased a few dvd's that were rereleased like this, and I will never do it again.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

Sorry to set off a false alarm by posting to this thread, but has anyone reviewed this one yet?

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
The Best Version of IAWL was the 3 disc Criterion Laser Disc version that included the wonderful commentary and audio essay by film professor Jeanine Basinger .
I emailed her a few years back and begged her to have that commentary on any future DVD versions ( including Criterion DVD ). ,and she wrote back to me and said She would very happy to have that audio essay on future versions,.. But alas she hasn't been asked and it wasn't in any future DVD programming for this 1946 film .

Wonder if the Paramount version will include a commentary . I mean.., If Criterion doesn't want to handle this feature, give it away or sell it off.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Criterion has shown no objection to licensing out their old LD extras to other companies. If Paramount wants the commentary and is willing to pony up for it, it'll be on there. If not, it won't. Simple as that.

Ronald G

Grip
I came across a neat little book recently, its a lawyers take on the movie and quite humorous. But I have forgotten the title and author, has anyone seen it or remember it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks