What's new

It's a Wonderful Life (Artisan) (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Paramount will start issues what will hopefully be excellent DVD editions of their newly acquired Republic library next year. They have spent a lot of time and money on High Noon, so it may appear in the first batch. It's a Wonderful Life will more than likely be a late-2006 release. And count me in for a 1.37:1 release of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and not the cropped 2:1 SuperScope version, which was done against Don Siegel's wishes back in '56.

Having the Republic library in the hands of Paramount is as assuring as the RKO library in the hands of Warner and I am greatly looking forward to next year's releases.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
I think I read a comment by Robert Harris, saying that non-theatrical (16mm) prints of Invasion of the Body Snatchers were in the original ratio. Does anyone know if there are TV prints or early video releases in the correct format?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Quote:

"And count me in for a 1.37:1 release of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and not the cropped 2:1 SuperScope version, which was done against Don Siegel's wishes back in '56."

I know SuperScope films were photographed full frame (flat), but were they composed for widescreen (open matte) or were they just arbitrarilly cropped to create anamorphic prints?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Yes and no. Some films were actually framed for this, but most were not. Now that I think of it, Invasion of the Body Snatchers was probably framed for 1.66:1-1.85:1 (since it was shot in the regular 35mm format without full aperture). The move to anamorphic 2:1 enlarged grain and overcropped.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Oh yeah. According to one of the links above, digital work is pending (although by now, it is probably complete). This after the creation of a new soundtrack, restored by Audio Mechanics, two new dupe negatives made from the original nitrate masterpositive, and a new archival print being struck.

- Steve

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Great news! I've wanted this dvd for a while and have always resisted, due to poor reviews. I'm hoping this will be done right.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Drew, SuperScope productions were photographed using the larger 1.33:1 silent aperture, unmatted. Technicolor labs would then create silver separation matrices derived from the camera negative, extracting a 2:1 ratio.

I don't understand how Paramount managed to retain the rights to It's a Wonderful Life from the Republic library, but nothing else. That's strange. Paramount have released their SE of High Noon in Holland and Australia. Very, very frustrating. Lion's Gate will likely just sit on those Ophuls titles. Luckily, excellent editions are due in September in the UK.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The region 4 Universal version is pretty bad , as bad as the region 2

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...derfullife.htm

For anyone hanging out for a good transfer of this film why not grab the Republic studios version? Last batch were struck in 2002 I think and it's freely available on amazon (don't buy the Republic version linked by Gary Tooze at DVDbeaver- he hasn't updated the link for a while and it links to an older Republic version with different , more grotesque cover art, which is sold by re-sellers at a premium. The 2002 Republic version is more widely available on amazon and is cheaper!)

The picture on the Republic Studios version was magnificent just like DVDbeaver shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks