What's new

IT's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World Restoration (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
To support the last statement, it was Stanley Kramer himself who worked with MGM on the "extended" version that ended up on LaserDisc (and some VHS releases as well). Chuck Riley states this at the beginning of the first VHS reissue by MGM/UA (the one that's letterboxed at 1.75:1, as opposed to the correct 2.55:1 ratio on the LaserDisc). So yes, Kramer did have a hand, in part, on the "extended" cut. Of course, and I continue to stress, that this is not representative of the original roadshow version.

My hope is that somewhere out there, in an archive, or in the hands of private collectors, there's at least some quality copy of the roadshow version that still exists. Never say never (isn't that why "Citzen Kane" looks so good on DVD?)...

Jo_C

Second Unit
I must admit, I have never been able to fully dissect the "extended" version in comparison to the General Release version that's on the DVD. So this link should give you guys and gals (especially new fans of "Mad World") a lowdown on what was added to the "extended" cut (which this link calls the "TCM Print" because it currently airs on TCM) and what was subtracted from the DVD.
I'll leave it to the rest of you to figure out the added footage that was originally meant for the roadshow version.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would rather have the choice of seeing them reinserted. I grew up loving the general release cut of the film and am one of those who thinks the mishmash LD cut is less funny. Seamless branching would be ideal. The current dvd is excellent btw.

I just hope that some day a true full restoration is done that pleases the multitude of fans of this classic comedy.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The only "vision" of the film that should be preserved is that of Mr. Kramer's.

I'm entirely in support of restoration and preservation - NOT alteration.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
plus whatever other cut material an expert such as Robert Harris would add in as appropriate
Are you suggesting that Robert Harris should add in whatever he feels is appropriate?? Wouldn't that be altering Mr. Kramers vision. I doubt Mr. Harris would add in anything that wasn't part of the original roadshow presentation, which the LD cut has.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"plus whatever other cut material an expert such as Robert Harris would add in as appropriate"

You must be kidding!

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
Like most of us, I would love to see the original Roadshow version of Mad World, but not at the expense of burying the general release version. From what I have read, each version has it's own merits, and they are purposely different from each other in mood and pacing.

As to the extended LaserDisc version, it sucked. One has to wonder if it is benificial for directors to go back and re-visit their work years later. Did he just license his name for this version, or did he actually work on it. If he actually worked on it, what was he thinking, put in trims and alternate takes that he knew to take out back in the height of his career.

Unless roadshow elements (or a complete print) are found at some future point, a restoration would be pointless. The general release version does not need a restoration.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Look, what I'm saying is this.
I want the fully restored roadshow version. I suspect that of the material available, it's going to be damned near impossible to figure out exactly what was and wasn't part of that original roadshow version. I trust an expert like Robert Harris to figure it out as best as possible. With the laser disc, we had Stanley Kramer, but now it falls to other experts.
If after that extended explanation, you still can't get over it, well...too bad. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I doubt Mr. Harris would agree with you George.
I doubt that he would actually take a guess as to what Mr. Kramer would have wanted to include. I think he respects the film and the art of filmmaking too much to do such a thing.
Mr Harris?;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
We do not deal in guesswork.

Although it took almost a year of research, we now have the precise continuity for the Premiere cut of the film...

down to the frame.

RAH

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Tino, I never said that I wanted Robert Harris to guess what Kramer wanted. I said I wanted him to used his expertise to figure it out. Which is exactly what happened. :emoji_thumbsup:
Robert,
Does this mean a new dvd with the proper cut is to be forthcoming at some point?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
We do not deal in guesswork.

Although it took almost a year of research, we now have the precise continuity for the Premiere cut of the film...

down to the frame.

RAH

With that in mind, what needs to be done to make it so?

I've chipped in for the DVD. I'll buy it again. I'll even pay to see it in a theater. (I'll even take a day off work like I did for the opening of your Lawrence of Arabia.)

- Steve

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ron is most aware of the state of the trimmed elements.

There are certain fixes which need to be taken care of re: the Oneg, but then the problems begin. Some trims exist with audio, less the final second. Some trims exist with no audio. For others, only audio is extant. The mix of trims is both normal ultra-pan and ultra-pan rectified. There are holes in the film for which we have audio only. There are holes in the film for which we have image only. There are some missing shots for which we have neither. All trims have a fully crushed cyan layer.

A "final" search has never been performed for elements which had been excised from the Oneg and separation masters. Some material was lost in a facility which was being razed. Other elements were lost in the '94 quake. Other elements are (we feel) buried in a Southern Jersey or Pennsylvania landfill.

Other than that we have no problems.

As to a new DVD forthcoming?

RAH

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Other than that we have no problems.

As to a new DVD forthcoming?
Sigh. I feel like the big 'W' has been chopped down. Oh wait, it is almost gone.

As I said, my money is on the table for a new DVD. But I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for all your effort!

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve and all,

As you are aware the MGM library is

(or should be) under ownership of Columbia.

At first I thought this would be great news.

I was out at Columbia last September

and had hoped to meet with the man

I thought could become a driving force

behind getting the studio to invest in

a massive restoration project for this film.

Despite the fact that my contact knew I

was on the lot that day the meeting never

happened. I'm not sure how much interest

was really put into the effort I put out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks